The history and music of the Fab Four
dwinn

Re: Opening Chord..Hard Day's Night

Post by dwinn »

jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

I think there is a piano playing along with George's opening chord. And I'll bet that the opening chord is the same one he uses at the very end of the song. Only for the outro he's playing it as an arpeggio. If I'm right, I'd call the chord and F with an added G.

JimK
brammy

Post by brammy »

In the new release of AHDN, George Martin talks about the famous chord. He says that it was his idea to start the song that way and that John tried a bunch of chords until Martin said "That's it!". George Martin says that "to this day" he doesn't know exactly what chord it is.
ahdn.jpg
Of all of them, I think this one is best:

E ----3----
B ----3----
G ----5----
D ----3----
A ----5----
E ----3----

… but it is true that so sound good live you need some bass and piano chiming in supportively (ie: not as loud as the guitar).
gretsch929

Post by gretsch929 »

Hi! Try this shape:

e----3
b----1
g----2
d----3
a----X
e----3

The bassist sounds a D note.
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

Fascinating!

We sem to "nail" it at the local jams, but then there are usually about 3-5 guitarists playing the song, and at least two of those are 12 strings...
8mileshigher

Post by 8mileshigher »

This topic seems to resurface every three years or so on the Forum. But don't worry, we are not the only ones pondering this great mystery of the universe.

A quick search on Google under "Analysis Hard Day's Night Chord" yields 66,900 entries. :shock: :roll: Probably would be more entries depending upon how you phrase the inquiry.

My favorite analysis is a Doctoral Dissertation done by a student at Dalhousie University using Mathematics and Physics to figure it out. http://www.mscs.dal.ca/~brown/n-oct04-harddayjib.pdf
Check it out -- something to read in your spare time. :mrgreen:

When we've played AHDN at local jams, I don't know if everyone got the same opening chord -- but a couple of times we probably have been close to setting a record, 8) in terms of the quantity of Ric 12-strings on stage attempting it. Maybe 5 or 6 Ric 12-strings at a few jams... backed up with a couple of Ric six-strings too. (I was counting 12-strings with Gary, Paul, Rich, Bob S. and possibly Danotron and Kenny too). It sounded pretty good with all that jangle ringing out ! :D
Last edited by 8mileshigher on Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
xpitt
Intermediate Member

Post by xpitt »

paologregorio wrote:Fascinating!
Yes sir ! :wink:

I'm with "Rickygitarre" from the RIC forum:

E..3
B..1
G...
D...
A...
E..1

I think the F on the bass E string is essential. When you bang the chord it should be done "balanced", I mean, the right strumming power to the right strings.
brammy

Post by brammy »

It's actually a magical chord carried to Abbey Road by angels from heaven.
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

brammy wrote:It's actually a magical chord carried to Abbey Road by angels from heaven.
....I should have known better........ :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

JimK
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

Kent may be on to something. :D
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

8mileshigher wrote:This topic seems to resurface every three years or so on the Forum. But don't worry, we are not the only ones pondering this great mystery of the universe.

A quick search on Google under "Analysis Hard Day's Night Chord" yields 66,900 entries. :shock: :roll: Probably would be more entries depending upon how you phrase the inquiry.

My favorite analysis is a Doctoral Dissertation done by a student at Dalhousie University using Mathematics and Physics to figure it out. http://www.mscs.dal.ca/~brown/n-oct04-harddayjib.pdf
Check it out -- something to read in your spare time. :mrgreen:

When we've played AHDN at local jams, I don't know if everyone got the same opening chord -- but a couple of times we probably have been close to setting a record, 8) in terms of the quantity of Ric 12-strings on stage attempting it. Maybe 5 or 6 Ric 12-strings at a few jams... backed up with a couple of Ric six-strings too. (I was counting 12-strings with Gary, Paul, Rich, Bob S. and possibly Danotron and Kenny too). It sounded pretty good with all that jangle ringing out ! :D
I think we use a few of the different chord charts listed here at the jam, and the result is chimey!! :)
JakeK
RRF Consultant

Post by JakeK »

I usually play G7sus4, and that works for me.
servant

Post by servant »

Watch both John and George during the "this next number" chatter just before the beginning chord at Shea Stadium '65.
There are quick flashes of their left hands, poised for The Big Chord.

Fadd9:

Fadd9:

This is not Proof that this is what they both played in the studio, but they sure are not playing a barred G7sus4. :D
It is interesting to note that they are playing the same chord shape...
(You can't see John's pinky in the frame I was able to capture, but it's there on the G note.)
8mileshigher

Post by 8mileshigher »

Fascinating .... :)
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

8mileshigher wrote:Fascinating .... :)
That's the chord shape I play...what's it called?

-I know how to play a lot of different chords that I really don't knowe the names of, and that's before I get to the ones I make up myself; I I usually just call the chord a "___ something."

Return to “Beatles' Forum”