A question about the "Live @ Star Club" recording

The history and music of the Fab Four
Kiddwad57
Intermediate Member

Re: A question about the "Live @ Star Club" recording

Post by Kiddwad57 »

When my circle found out about the Star Club album in the late '70s, it wasn't clear who was playing drums. Ringo even said he couldn't tell. Rumor had it that he was sitting in for Best the night the recording was made. Of course now all the dates are clear, Ringo probably said that in an attempt to win the court case, and Lewissohn has confirmed everything. Obviously Best played on the Polydor stuff but the rest was still very mysterious. It took a while to figure out that George wasn't playing the solo on My Bonnie. Tony's sound rocks! George's playing is still fantastic though with his transitional licks holding it all together.

Thanks so much for posting this clip of Tony Sheridan. What amazes me most is his accent. It's an amalgam of British, German and American. He had the story down pat and brought the scene to life.

We played that Star Club album over and over. The repertoire was a history lesson in Rock and Roll and pop standards which totally changed our concept of music. Really great times discovering some of the best music ever, including all the punk and New Wave, roots rock and everything else that made the mid to late seventies so special.
Don't let democracy end democracy.
brammy

Post by brammy »

Indeed...... for a long time I thought that George played the lead on My Bonnie..... Tony rocks (rocked) bigtime and was a HUGE influence on the Beatles.

"Live! at the Star-Club" was recorded in late December 1962, a few months after Ringo joined the band, during the group's last trip to Hamburg. But my question STILL is..... whatever happened to the rumors of a pre August '62 Hamburg tape with Pete on drums?
beat-gen-10025.jpg
beat-gen-10027.jpg
beat-gen-10026.jpg
and there was a debate on who this other guy is. Many said that it was Tony, but clearly it is Neil Aspinall.
beat-gen-10024.jpg
Kiddwad57
Intermediate Member

Post by Kiddwad57 »

Yeah, but at the time it wasn't clear to us that Ringo was there, or that Tony was on guitar on My Bonnie. In the liner notes of the version I had of the Polydor recordings, Sheridan implied that Stu was still playing bass.

We were just kids figuring all this stuff out. Finding meaning in the study of history. Hunter Davies' book had been out for a long time but didn't go into much detail, Phillip Norman's book was just out, etc. Anyway, those were fine times and I still love those early sounds. I was glad when the Beeb material finally came out officially because it covered so much of their club repertoire.

Thanks for the great pix! (Pete probably had the tapes destroyed.)
Don't let democracy end democracy.
brammy

Post by brammy »

(Pete probably had the tapes destroyed.)
Haaa.... actually, given that Pete was paid handsomely when "Anthology" came out, I think Pete would be all for a lavish production of any pre-Ringo Hamburg material..... IF it exists.

Return to “Beatles' Forum”