A question about the "Live @ Star Club" recording

The history and music of the Fab Four
Soulsaman

A question about the "Live @ Star Club" recording

Post by Soulsaman »

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone could help me get some facts straight.

Recently, I was listening to The Beatles Live at the Star Club (1962) recording and I noticed that the only original Lennon/McCartney song was "Ask me Why".
I was wondering if The Beatles were already signed to EMI at the time of this show? If so why wouldn't they be performing "Love me Do" since it was their first single? Was it released by this time or did their recording contract begin shortly after this recording? Also, was Ringo in? Was Brian already managing them?

For some reason every time I hear this recording I picture them not being "discovered" yet and it was just a normal gig for them.

Thanks for any clarification!
-Al
SamBailler

Re: A question about the "Live @ Star Club" recording

Post by SamBailler »

You could describe them as 'just on the cusp' at that Hamburg performance. They had released Love Me Do a few months earlier in the UK and it achieved a modest chart placing. It would have been completely unknown outside of the UK at that time (as were The Beatles themselves). The Hamburg gigs would have consisted primarily of 'crowd pleasers' (the patrons were not exactly sitting down and appreciating the finer points of the music, and would not have been too patient with too much 'unknown' material). They also played I Saw Her Standing There on the Hamburg album. They may well have featured Love Me Do at some of the Hamburg gigs, but not the one that was recorded (or at least the portion of it that was taped).

As for the other points, yes to them all - Epstein, EMI, Ringo.. all in place at that stage, and just waiting for 1963 to dawn and the release of 'Please Please Me', and the rest as they say....
Soulsaman

Post by Soulsaman »

Hi Sam,

Thanks for the insight!

I completely forgot yes they also played I Saw Her Standing There.I also read somewhere that Hold Me Tight was also part of their early live repertoire.
Would've loved to have heard that. It does make sense that they would just go with what works for a live show.

For them, 1963 would be the beginning of one hell of a roller coaster ride.
beatlefreak

Post by beatlefreak »

The Star Club recording is from December, 1962. So Love Me Do had been released.
Ka is a wheel.
brammy

Post by brammy »

Anyone know the status of the other Star Club recording that exists but was being help up in legal wrangling?
brammy

Post by brammy »

brammy wrote:Anyone know the status of the other Star Club recording that exists but was being help up in legal wrangling?
anyone?
beat-gen-6315.jpg
iiipopes
Intermediate Member

Post by iiipopes »

brammy wrote:
brammy wrote:Anyone know the status of the other Star Club recording that exists but was being help up in legal wrangling?
anyone?
beat-gen-6315.jpg
Sorry, I don't, but...decades ago I got my two-record Lingasong, Ltd., set before all the hoop-la started. As a teen-aged garage band player at the time, it was quite encouraging to me to listen to raw nightclub footage instead of polished studio recordings, and learn from comparing the two.

Side One
I'm Gonna Sit Right Down and Cry Over You
Roll Over Beethoven
Hippy Hippy Shake
Sweet Little Sixteen
Lend Me Your Comb
Your Feets Too Big

Side Two
Where Have You Been All My Life
Mr. Moonlight
A Taste of Honey
Besame Mucho
'Till There Was You
Kansas City/Hey Hey Hey

Side Three
Aint' Nothing Shakin'
To Know Her Is To Love Her
Little Queenie
Falling In Love Again
Sheila
Be-Bop-A-Lula
Hallelujah I Love Her So

Side Four
Red Sails In The Sunset
Everybody's Trying To Be My Baby
Matchbox
Talkin 'Bout You
Shimmy Shake
Long Tall Sally
I Remember You

Now, here's the kicker, just to keep the date in perspective: on the back of the album cover it says, "Also available on 8 track cartridges and cassettes." Oh, yeah -- the waiter, Horst Fascher, sang Be-Bop-A-Lula and Hallelujah I Love Her So!
artisan4

Post by artisan4 »

I used to have the Star CLub album too. That and 'Let It Be' on DVD are two products I'd like to get but can't locate.
Rickenbacker 330 Jetglo
Rickenbacker 4003s/5 White
Mesa Rectoverb Head
Mesa Standard Rectifier 4x12 cabinet
Mesa Rocket 44 Combo amp
lucky

Post by lucky »

Just found this thread the Hamburg/Cavern years was my favorite Beatles era. Also just looked under the bed and found this.
Attachments
003.jpg
005.jpg
004.jpg
DavyR

Post by DavyR »

I nearly wore out my German & USA LP versions of the Hamburg Star Club recordings back in 1977ish. These LPs had some mutually exclusive tracks. Loved them! Even picked up 'Little Queeny' from them and still do that version today. Youtube had a few cleaned up tracks posted. Sure wish the sound quality was even just a tad better.
lucky

Post by lucky »

Thinking of how I can get mine transfered to CD.
Soulsaman

Post by Soulsaman »

Hello everyone,

Just read that the 1962 Hamburg master tapes are being put up on auction.
I wonder they contain anything we haven't heard already.

Hamburg Tapes link:
http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/mu ... story.html

I've always read that the recording was made by a fellow musician named Ted "Kingsize" Taylor I looked him up because I've always wondered what made him want to record the Beatles at that time. I found an old interview that gives some good insight into those days. I do get the feeling he's not much of a fan of the Beatles or Brian Epstein.

Kingsize Taylor interview link:
http://www.classicbands.com/KingsizeTay ... rview.html
DavyR

Post by DavyR »

A remastered 2 cd set was released last year, April 2014, of 34 tracks of the 34+ existing tracks, on OxTango if you can find it and if it's still available. Sounds great.
http://www.thebeatlesrarity.com/2014/03 ... remasters/
brammy

Post by brammy »

Doesn't look like there is anything new here..... possibly better quality, but nothing new.

Wasn't there a rumor of an earlier Pete Best era )pre Aug '62) Hamburg recording? What ever happened to that?
brammy

Post by brammy »

Return to “Beatles' Forum”