Macca's Ric

The history and music of the Fab Four
JM82

Macca's Ric

Post by JM82 »

I've read a few variations of how Paul got his 4001S. I know he initially turned it down because they wanted him to pay for it but I've also read they initially offered him a right handed model because they didn't realise he was a lefty.

My question is: If the bit about him being offered a right hand model is true (regardless of the bit about him not wanting to pay for it), then where is this particular bass NOW?
congerz83
Intermediate Member

Re: Macca's Ric

Post by congerz83 »

This is a question for John Hall but i'm sure this is just a rumor.

It's insane to think the people at RIC didn't know paul was left-handed. 1st The Beatles were the biggest thing on the planet at that point. Even the least musical of people would look at Paul and wonder "why is he holding his instrument the wrong way". So for ANY "guitar guy/builder" not to know this is simply unrealistc. ESPECIALLY at RIC... The Beatles were the biggest thing in music, and I'm sure they knew that 2 members (John, George) already owned 4 Ricks between them.
LET THE WORLD KNOW YOU WANT PAUL TO BRING BACK THE 4001. JOIN OUR FACEBOOK GROUP!! http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=147641915268984
JM82

Post by JM82 »

I thought too it would be unlikely that they didn't realise he was left handed but i've read it on a few websites so just wondered - I guess it's spread as a fact. Oh well, that's the internet for you.
wim
Intermediate Member

Post by wim »

The Beatles might have been the biggest thing in music at that time (or even now still), from what I've read the folks at Rickenbacker were not too aware of them.
congerz83
Intermediate Member

Post by congerz83 »

JM82 wrote:I thought too it would be unlikely that they didn't realise he was left handed but i've read it on a few websites so just wondered - I guess it's spread as a fact. Oh well, that's the internet for you.
The only possibility is they did not know who played bass, and maybe assumed it was one of the right-handed members. Still highly un-likely.
LET THE WORLD KNOW YOU WANT PAUL TO BRING BACK THE 4001. JOIN OUR FACEBOOK GROUP!! http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=147641915268984
congerz83
Intermediate Member

Post by congerz83 »

wim wrote:The Beatles might have been the biggest thing in music at that time (or even now still), from what I've read the folks at Rickenbacker were not too aware of them.
I am not saying you are wrong... It just seems soooo un-likely. I think you would know if a band THAT BIG were using your gear.
johnnysain

Post by johnnysain »

You have to remember,...the Beatles dropped on America like a bomb.

Before the Ed Sullivan appearance, basically no one saw video of the Beatles. This was far from the 'you-tube' age. Not a time when you can just 'google' something and get a million hits. The first video nearly everyone saw, was them departing a jet to screaming fans at JFK (Idlewild Airport then). Newspaper photos generally displayed those airport shots as well.

They were heard much more than seen on TV during the first weeks of their notoriety in the USA. The first 2 albums in the US "Introducing the Beatles" and "Meet the Beatles" (released before their arrival) had photos without instruments.

It's believable to me that the Rickenbacker people were unaware the bass player was a lefty.
Rickenbacker player since 1978
congerz83
Intermediate Member

Post by congerz83 »

Well I guess the only person who could comment on this is John Hall.
johnhall
RIC

Post by johnhall »

congerz83 wrote:This is a question for John Hall but i'm sure this is just a rumor.

It's insane to think the people at RIC didn't know paul was left-handed. 1st The Beatles were the biggest thing on the planet at that point. Even the least musical of people would look at Paul and wonder "why is he holding his instrument the wrong way".
Sorry that you've chosen to phrase it this way . . . as such it doesn't particularly make me want to comment. Nevertheless . . .

The Beatles were NOT particularly well known over here prior to their trip in 1964 and no one here knew that Paul was left-handed.

I know for fact that my dad took a right-handed bass to New York for the well known meeting, which was why Paul did not keep the bass, nothing more. Another lefty one was constructed later, reusing many of the parts off that original bass (for reasons unknown to me) and I presented him that one in Summer of 1965 when they did the Hollywood Bowl shows. End of story.
JM82

Post by JM82 »

Thank you for taking the time to answer John.

So somewhere out there, there MAY be a right handed 4001 body that nearly belonged to the Beatles, minus various bits of hardware. Maybe the body was reused and someone still owns it today!
congerz83
Intermediate Member

Post by congerz83 »

Sorry that you've chosen to phrase it this way . . . as such it doesn't particularly make me want to comment. Nevertheless . . .

Well I meant nothing insulting by the statement. If I was correct, it would've been a positive statement. However, once again, I'm dead wrong. My breath must be awful with how many time I put my foot in my mouth. :oops: I'm sorry my post was not a positive one for you to read. But I thank you very much for making yours. It's awesome to be able to get coveted info from the most inside RIC source on earth.
rickaddict

Post by rickaddict »

That is very interesting info. Thanks, John!
bottom4
Veteran RRF member

Post by bottom4 »

John, very cool of you sharing a piece of musically history with us!

cheers!
MyBBruce

Post by MyBBruce »

I have no doubt the Rickenbacker is a nice bass. I had the fortune of finding a Near Mint Hofner Beatle Bass made in 1967. Missing the truss rod cover and the final price was $5.00 at a garage sale. Originally marked 15.00 and no one bought it. Go figure. I am not a bass player, although it's fun to play. It is very light weight and hollow bodied. I'm sure with Paul being in his late 60's it's a combination of that and the fact that Hofner tone is McCartney. If you look seriously at things. Harrison only used the 12 string on certain occasions. He's best known for Gretch. Lennon is where the notoriety with Rickenbacker is.

Everyone knows these facts. I think Rickenbackers are awesome guitars. I have several. But why limit your tonal palette to one company. Unless of course you have to money wise. Isn't that why the Stratocaster was made.??????? No offense John I love my Rics.. I just don't see Paul dumping the Hofner he calls baby to play his Rickenbacker. Maybe on certain songs he will who knows. Will it spark a revolution? Probably only if your a Ric fanatic. JMHO
Rickenbacker 350V63 325C64 Jetglo Ric 620 FG Fender Masterbuilt Tele, LaCabronita , Crook Pink Paisley Relic, Lentz DB HSL, Martin 000-18

Dr Z Zwreck Dr Z Maz 18 NR Vox AC15 HW
egosheep
Intermediate Member

Post by egosheep »

MyBBruce wrote:I have no doubt the Rickenbacker is a nice bass. I had the fortune of finding a Near Mint Hofner Beatle Bass made in 1967. Missing the truss rod cover and the final price was $5.00 at a garage sale. Originally marked 15.00 and no one bought it. Go figure. I am not a bass player, although it's fun to play. It is very light weight and hollow bodied. I'm sure with Paul being in his late 60's it's a combination of that and the fact that Hofner tone is McCartney. If you look seriously at things. Harrison only used the 12 string on certain occasions. He's best known for Gretch. Lennon is where the notoriety with Rickenbacker is.

Everyone knows these facts. I think Rickenbackers are awesome guitars. I have several. But why limit your tonal palette to one company. Unless of course you have to money wise. Isn't that why the Stratocaster was made.??????? No offense John I love my Rics.. I just don't see Paul dumping the Hofner he calls baby to play his Rickenbacker. Maybe on certain songs he will who knows. Will it spark a revolution? Probably only if your a Ric fanatic. JMHO
To say George only used it on certain occaisions... well, I wouldn't exactly say that! When he got it he used it often, and it became a huge part of that early sound. He even used it on the White Album.

It's not fair to say that John is the only one notorious for his RIC. John, Paul and George all played them and were known for it... and they all played Gibsons, Epiphones and Fenders as well. So I don't really see what your point is.
Great Ramp In My Opinion.

Return to “Beatles' Forum”