Article on Lennon's RIC 325

The history and music of the Fab Four
sjb-66

Re: Article on Lennon's RIC 325

Post by sjb-66 »

The article just seems like a commercial for that Les Paul Jr replica! - A very terribly written article.

Karl
"i'll never be more than what I am,...Just a swingin' little Guitar Man!"
egosheep
Intermediate Member

Post by egosheep »

Couldn't you just take the bracket off?
Great Ramp In My Opinion.
thymecube

Post by thymecube »

Obviously an expert on guitars... and silly me thought the orange one was a Gretsch Nashville... NOT a Country Gentleman
lennon211
Intermediate Member

Post by lennon211 »

I thought that the object of journalism was to report news, not create it. It would appear that all that he did was create a commercial based around the Gibson brand and their history with the Beatles.
Sarcasm just doesn't come through when you're typing...
electrofaro

Post by electrofaro »

jingle_jangle wrote: an original CC is 38mm (1 3/8") thick with a huge 3-point mounting bracket. I don't have any Jrs around to measure, but have to think that they must be thinner than this...

???
ccpickup200.jpg
I have the day off so can't pull one from the wall at work, but the LP Jr is easily 1.5 inch thick.
As the CC seems to be on top of the scratchplate even, sticking out of the body, it should all fit, albeit just.
3504082643270.jpg
GibsonLesPaulCustomJohnLennon020ful.jpg
'67 Fender Coronado II CAB * '17 1963 ES-335 PB * currently rickless
DavyR

Post by DavyR »

LOL! Still, I thought that the article should be posted here. BTW, Fergy IS a very kind and cool cat. I meant him in 2009 in Liverpool. And, the liverpoolbeat.com site, too, has a lot to offer. :^)
wolfgang

Post by wolfgang »

b.t.w. John played a Framus Hootenanny 12string on Help!

Wolfgang
gregga41
RRF Consultant

Post by gregga41 »

Clearly a paid advertisement for Gibson/Epiphone.
electrofaro

Post by electrofaro »

gregga41 wrote:Clearly a paid advertisement for Gibson/Epiphone.
Gibson doesn't pay anyone to thrash other brands - just check out the Gibson website's articles on musicians!

I'd almost expect a link to a similar article about Peter Buck's Les Paul on the site... :twisted:
'67 Fender Coronado II CAB * '17 1963 ES-335 PB * currently rickless
musicfan37
Veteran RRF member

Post by musicfan37 »

Obviously doesn't know what he's talking about.
nukebass
Veteran RRF member

Post by nukebass »

I've never played a 325 so I don't really have an opinion on the guitar, but it isn't deniable that Lennon stopped playing it, or at least recording with it, in the middle of the Beatles period. I imagine one would have to ask someone associated with the Beatles why that was, but Lennon did seem to favor the Gibsons at some point in his career. The presentation may not be great, but some of the points have validity, I think.

Was Epiphone owned by Gibson when the Beatles acquired theirs?
BILLYC58

Post by BILLYC58 »

He has no idea what he is talking about he probably couldent figure out how to play a short scale guitar so that is why he is bashing it.Or he is hopeing Gibson/Epiphone will give him a free guitar ?????
Nightbrigade

Post by Nightbrigade »

I think his Ric totally defined that early sound of theirs. Just staring at one makes me want to grab it, strum it hard like John, and jangle out my aggression.
BeatlesGuy

Post by BeatlesGuy »

I am pretty sure that John could have purchased a Gibson,or what ever he wanted to buy from the guitar shop where he purchased the 325Ric..this guy is full of ****..I guess that John loved the way it looked and felt to him..thats why he didnt buy any other type of guitar in the early 60's..the article is a joke..I guess whe he played with it for a while..he looked at the price tag and said,,damn I cant afford this... 8)
Melma

Post by Melma »

He sounds really, really bitter ...

In my regrettably short time trying out a visiting friend's 325, I can only really say that it felt a little peculiar and interesting, and sounded damned cool. I can imagine someone who's very particular about their guitars being thrown a bit by the thing, but I mean really ... it's very clear that he has an agenda with that article. An unrepentant shill by the sound of things.

Return to “Beatles' Forum”