Guitar World Article

The history and music of the Fab Four
Folkie
Advanced Member

Guitar World Article

Post by Folkie »

Be on the lookout for the holiday issue of Guitar World magazine. A friend tells me the cover story is full of information about the Beatles' recordings and gear. I haven't seen the article yet, but I hope to purchase a copy soon. 8)
Tommy
Intermediate Member

Re: Guitar World Article

Post by Tommy »

Thanks for the heads up. I will be looking for that.

But, honestly, how much information about The Beatles recording and their gear can be new? Over the years, there have been some incredible books documenting just about everything that was done in the studio. And now it is no longer just books. You can go to youtube and see hours and hours and hours of footage of the boys in the studio for the "Let It Be" sessions. I love the Beatles gear subjects, but I think we have reached the point where just about everything that can be known is known. Hope I am wrong and that magazine provides some new gems.
bassduke49

Post by bassduke49 »

But, honestly, how much information about The Beatles recording and their gear can be new?
Well, Andy Babiuk has announced that he will have a new printing of "Beatles Gear" in 2014 that will have twice the number of pages as the first printing!
Author: "The Rickenbacker Electric Bass - 50 Years As Rock's Bottom"
egosheep
Intermediate Member

Post by egosheep »

bassduke49 wrote: Well, Andy Babiuk has announced that he will have a new printing of "Beatles Gear" in 2014 that will have twice the number of pages as the first printing!
He's also said that Stones Gear will be forthcoming... I'm excited about that! :D
Great Ramp In My Opinion.
rickboy88
Intermediate Member

Post by rickboy88 »

bassduke49 wrote:
But, honestly, how much information about The Beatles recording and their gear can be new?
Well, Andy Babiuk has announced that he will have a new printing of "Beatles Gear" in 2014 that will have twice the number of pages as the first printing!
This is good news. I really enjoyed the first book.
"Practice does not make perfect. Only perfect practice makes perfect." Vince Lombardi
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

egosheep wrote:He's also said that Stones Gear will be forthcoming... I'm excited about that! :D
For those who have not read it, the Grateful Dead Gear book by Blair Jackson is an excellent read. 8)
egosheep
Intermediate Member

Post by egosheep »

I wonder how you get a publishing deal to write a gear book like that? :)
rickboy88
Intermediate Member

Post by rickboy88 »

I read this article recently after buying the issue at the little Corpus Christi, TX airport before flying back to Colorado.

I enjoyed reading it, and learned some new things. I'd never known the story of the two "Let it Be" solos (single and album versions). It is unfortunate that the Abby Road sessions are more of a mystery than the others - at least as far was which guitars are used on what song.

The Guitar World issue is indeed "Holiday 2011". They also have some rare photos I hadn't seen before. Actually, I don't remember seeing most of them before. Much of the info for the article comes from "Recording the Beatles," by Brian Kehew and Kevin Ryan. It also includes a "centerfold" mini-poster of Lennon's 325/12.

I highly recommend it to the fellow forumites.
"Practice does not make perfect. Only perfect practice makes perfect." Vince Lombardi
RobRick

Post by RobRick »

rickboy88 wrote:I read this article recently after buying the issue at the little Corpus Christi, TX airport before flying back to Colorado.

I enjoyed reading it, and learned some new things. I'd never known the story of the two "Let it Be" solos (single and album versions). It is unfortunate that the Abby Road sessions are more of a mystery than the others - at least as far was which guitars are used on what song.

The Guitar World issue is indeed "Holiday 2011". They also have some rare photos I hadn't seen before. Actually, I don't remember seeing most of them before. Much of the info for the article comes from "Recording the Beatles," by Brian Kehew and Kevin Ryan. It also includes a "centerfold" mini-poster of Lennon's 325/12.

I highly recommend it to the fellow forumites.
Cool! Did George play both "Let It Be" solos?
rickboy88
Intermediate Member

Post by rickboy88 »

Yes, George played both. The interesting thing is that they both existed side-by-side on different tracks of the 8 track master.

The version release as a single has George playing his rosewood Telecaster through his Leslie set up, and the album version has him playing his Les Paul (named Lucy). This new Les Paul solo was added when various fixes were done by McCartney, Harrison, and Starr. Lennon's sloppy bass work was also dubbed over by McCartney at this time. I remember Emerick noting in his book that Lennon simply didn't have a feel for bass.

George Martin favored the Telecaster solo for the single, and for the album Phil Spector favored the version with the Les Paul (me too). Cello and brass were actually put in by Martin, but he had them down in the mix for the single. Spector brought them up.

There was an original solo from George played on his Stratocaster, but he wiped it when he did the Telecaster version. However, it still can be heard a little - possibly from leakage.
shamustwin

Post by shamustwin »

I could swear I've heard three different solos.
egosheep
Intermediate Member

Post by egosheep »

I thought I remembered 3 solos as well. Wasn't the one on Let It Be Naked different from the other two? Can't remember.

Edit: here's a video with the album, single and anthology versions:

RobRick

Post by RobRick »

NICE Thomas! Excellent work!

Yeah, my favorite is also the Les Paul solo, or the heavier, distorted one. I always thought that may have been John, but I am wrong. Cool!

Return to “Beatles' Forum”