George Harrison - Dark Horse Years box set

The history and music of the Fab Four
JakeK
RRF Consultant

George Harrison - Dark Horse Years box set

Post by JakeK »

Sunday night, my grandmother told me to order her Christmas present to me, this:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001A ... 00_details

Anyone a fan of George Harrison's solo work from this era? Has my grandmother done it yet again?

I've owned All Things Must Pass for years, and owned the Let It Roll retrospective since it came out. About three weeks ago, I bought this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00000 ... 00_details

And it turned out it was in my county/parish (so shipping took less than a day), and I really enjoyed it. Makes a great sampler of the box set. I'm shocked Capitol never reissued/remastered it, especially since it has three unique songs to it.

There has been a lot George Harrison for me this year. First Best of Dark Horse, then Living in the Material World DVD, and finally Dark Horse Years box set to close the year. What's next, a Harrison style Gretsch?
JakeK
RRF Consultant

Re: George Harrison - Dark Horse Years box set

Post by JakeK »

Anybody? Man, I guess no one really likes George's solo stuff. :P

The package got delivered yesterday, and I did look at it to see if it was "what I wanted". I won't see it again until December 24, but I already believe I've found the best CD purchase of 2011.
Ivan3000
Advanced Member

Post by Ivan3000 »

Congrats! I plan to eventually get all Paul McCartney albums.
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

JakeK wrote:Anybody? Man, I guess no one really likes George's solo stuff. :P
Nah.....I wouldn't say that. In my case, it's that I'm that unfamiliar with his solo recordings after All Things Must Pass. I certainly do enjoy his contributions to The Traveling Wilburys, which I've only discovered in the last 2-3 years.

[Zaphod Bibelbrox voice] Yeah, yeah.....I know.....But I was busy man, like with other things for 20 years.[/voice]
JimK
lcjones

Post by lcjones »

I'm tickled when folks get what they want for Xmas! :)

I have this version of Dark Horse years along with the Concert for Bangladesh and the forever in my heart, Concert for George. And I recent acquired Living In The Material World.

I can sit for hours and watch my GH vids.... sometimes I get downright weepy.

Chap
Ivan3000
Advanced Member

Post by Ivan3000 »

lcjones wrote:I'm tickled when folks get what they want for Xmas! :)

I have this version of Dark Horse years along with the Concert for Bangladesh and the forever in my heart, Concert for George. And I recent acquired Living In The Material World.

I can sit for hours and watch my GH vids.... sometimes I get downright weepy.

Chap
If I'm ever having a bad day, this song would put me right over the edge:
Billsbro

Post by Billsbro »

As George himself said: "I'll never get over you..." That is how I feel about him.

It is a shame that man left us too soon. I don't know that boxed set but have practically everything else...I'll look it up. Thanks!
Who's Who

Post by Who's Who »

Billsbro wrote:As George himself said: "I'll never get over you..." That is how I feel about him.

It is a shame that man left us too soon. I don't know that boxed set but have practically everything else...I'll look it up. Thanks!
Totally agree. He seemed like such a gentleman.
We named our first son 'Harrison' after him. :D
Billsbro

Post by Billsbro »

Yes, Who's Who, and that is why The Concert for George DVD is so touching...it was clear how dear of a friend he was to those guys.
JakeK
RRF Consultant

Post by JakeK »

He was also good friends with Bob Dylan. Bob was not at Concert for George and was not interviewed for Living in the Material World. Bob's a private guy, though, so I really couldn't see him taking the time to do an interview.
Ivan3000
Advanced Member

Post by Ivan3000 »

JakeK wrote:He was also good friends with Bob Dylan. Bob was not at Concert for George and was not interviewed for Living in the Material World. Bob's a private guy, though, so I really couldn't see him taking the time to do an interview.
On the other hand, Clapton was a bad friend, he slept with Georges wife! :shock:
JakeK
RRF Consultant

Post by JakeK »

George was cross at first, but he eventually got over it and forgave Eric, reportedly said, "I'd rather see her with him than some dope." George forgave both of them, and remained friends with Pattie. She didn't like Olivia at first (JEALOUS GIRL!), but when she got to know Olivia, warmed to her.
Who's Who

Post by Who's Who »

JakeK wrote:George was cross at first, but he eventually got over it and forgave Eric, reportedly said, "I'd rather see her with him than some dope." George forgave both of them, and remained friends with Pattie. She didn't like Olivia at first (JEALOUS GIRL!), but when she got to know Olivia, warmed to her.
I think that was quite a low point in George's life. From reading interviews with Pattie, George seemed focussed on two things at that point - Meditation and Drugs!
It seems Pattie did her best by George, but at that point he didn't want to be 'saved'. So her friendship with Clapton grew (who was already in love with her and writing songs about her) and they got closer as George and Pattie grew apart.
I think it's a testament to George's character that he realised how happy Clapton made Pattie and ended up being happy for them both, as he loved them both dearly.

I think that Pattie must have been an incredible woman to spur two of England's greatest song writers to write two of the greatest love songs about her.
'Something' and 'Wonderful Tonight'

And I just love this picture, so sincere.

https://www.morrisonhotelgallery.com/im ... /PB_17.jpg
Ivan3000
Advanced Member

Post by Ivan3000 »

JakeK wrote:George was cross at first, but he eventually got over it and forgave Eric, reportedly said, "I'd rather see her with him than some dope." George forgave both of them, and remained friends with Pattie. She didn't like Olivia at first (JEALOUS GIRL!), but when she got to know Olivia, warmed to her.
He was a nice guy...
RobRick

Post by RobRick »

Yeah, but sadly, if you read Pattie's book, life with Eric hardly was a fairy tale. Actually, not good at all.

Return to “Beatles' Forum”