Let it Bieber!

The history and music of the Fab Four
jimk
RRF Consultant

Re: Let it Bieber!

Post by jimk »

My original comment was "Eh....." What I see here is a kid who has a certain level of musical ability. That's undeniable. (How much is open to one's own personal evaluation.) In my opinion, he just needs a few years to mature, vocally and instrumentally. He should be getting this training for example, by singing in his school choir. I've heard lots of kids like him. Lawrence is full of them. I'd like to see what he can do when he's maybe say, 25 or 30. If he can survive the machine they call the Music Bizness, that is. So Ivan, if you're a real fan, power to you.
JimK
ricmic

Post by ricmic »

There you go JimK. Thats what I'm saying. I really enjoyed playing with you at SCARF. Mark
Ivan3000
Advanced Member

Post by Ivan3000 »

jimk wrote:My original comment was "Eh....." What I see here is a kid who has a certain level of musical ability. That's undeniable. (How much is open to one's own personal evaluation.) In my opinion, he just needs a few years to mature, vocally and instrumentally. He should be getting this training for example, by singing in his school choir. I've heard lots of kids like him. Lawrence is full of them. I'd like to see what he can do when he's maybe say, 25 or 30. If he can survive the machine they call the Music Bizness, that is. So Ivan, if you're a real fan, power to you.
JimK
I'll listen to him for as long as he goes for, I kind of think that unfortunately he will fade out when he gets older because he won't be "Cute" anymore. I'll stick with him though! :D
ROCKETBRO2

Post by ROCKETBRO2 »

jimk wrote:My original comment was "Eh....." What I see here is a kid who has a certain level of musical ability. That's undeniable. (How much is open to one's own personal evaluation.) In my opinion, he just needs a few years to mature, vocally and instrumentally. He should be getting this training for example, by singing in his school choir. I've heard lots of kids like him. Lawrence is full of them. I'd like to see what he can do when he's maybe say, 25 or 30. If he can survive the machine they call the Music Bizness, that is. So Ivan, if you're a real fan, power to you.
JimK
All you have to see is the people standing in line at his concerts to understand that you have to "make hay while the sun shines". If it is still sunny when he is 25 or 30, then more power to him.
bosco64
Veteran RRF member

Post by bosco64 »

Paul McCartney has been called (not by me) "The Cute One" for almost 50 years now...as young Mr. Bieber gets older, it's his responsibility to make his impact with the quality of his music instead of relying on his looks. Of course his record label and/or the music industry may have some say with his future musical endeavors...
"Keep smiling, keep your mouth shut, and nobody gets hurt!" :mrgreen:
Don't bust Mike's chops...
'05 4003 BBR; '99 4001V63 FG; '96 4003S Trans Blue (custom refin from Paul W.)
Ivan3000
Advanced Member

Post by Ivan3000 »

bosco64 wrote:Paul McCartney has been called (not by me) "The Cute One" for almost 50 years now...as young Mr. Bieber gets older, it's his responsibility to make his impact with the quality of his music instead of relying on his looks. Of course his record label and/or the music industry may have some say with his future musical endeavors...
Yeah, but a lot of Paul's songs, especially the 80's ones are "cute". I know that sound kind of dumb but you guys get the point. Maybe "Cheeky" would work too.
DoubleThink

Post by DoubleThink »

IvanMunoz wrote:
bosco64 wrote:Yeah, but a lot of Paul's songs, especially the 80's ones are "cute". I know that sound kind of dumb but you guys get the point. Maybe "Cheeky" would work too.
Ivan, I'm going to play Devil's advocate. I'm left asking: Which came first? The cute or the cheeky? It's a bit of a chicken/egg scenario, IMHO. The great body of McCartney's work, post-Beatles, lacks the 'salt' that Lennon provided during their partnership. The result, (again, IMHO), is that McCartney's tunes are often too sweet &/or flavourless.
Rics ... and some other stuff....
Ivan3000
Advanced Member

Post by Ivan3000 »

DoubleThink wrote:
IvanMunoz wrote:
bosco64 wrote:Yeah, but a lot of Paul's songs, especially the 80's ones are "cute". I know that sound kind of dumb but you guys get the point. Maybe "Cheeky" would work too.
Ivan, I'm going to play Devil's advocate. I'm left asking: Which came first? The cute or the cheeky? It's a bit of a chicken/egg scenario, IMHO. The great body of McCartney's work, post-Beatles, lacks the 'salt' that Lennon provided during their partnership. The result, (again, IMHO), is that McCartney's tunes are often too sweet &/or flavourless.
Thats a good question. Spies like us is Cheeky, but Waterfalls is Cute.
Cute and Adorable during the beatles performance days were his actions and looks to girls, to guys it was cheeky and funny, it then he later produced cute songs. In the 80's. After the Beatles, during the Wings across America timeline, he was pure rock genius!
DoubleThink

Post by DoubleThink »

IvanMunoz wrote:pure rock genius!
True story. Wife & I are driving down the highway. McCartney comes on the radio doing Maybe I'm Amazed. I say to wife, "You know, I've always wished I could sing like him."

Wife says, "You and everyone else!"

OK, maybe I'm really freakin' thick, but her response was a blast of reality. The penny dropped, the lightbulb lit, it was a Eureka moment. I'd never considered that anyone else wished they could sing like McCartney ... or, you get what I mean. It's like it was such a personal wish/experience, then I discovered that others shared it, too.

Just sharing a 'going down the highway' experience. I'm not sure whether Bieber was out of nappies at the time.... :shock:
Rics ... and some other stuff....
Ivan3000
Advanced Member

Post by Ivan3000 »

DoubleThink wrote:
IvanMunoz wrote:pure rock genius!
True story. Wife & I are driving down the highway. McCartney comes on the radio doing Maybe I'm Amazed. I say to wife, "You know, I've always wished I could sing like him."

OK, maybe I'm really freakin' thick, but her response was a blast of reality. The penny dropped, the lightbulb lit, it was a Eureka moment. I'd never considered that anyone else wished they could sing like McCartney ... or, you get what I mean. It's like it was such a personal wish/experience, then I discovered that others shared it, too.

Just sharing a 'going down the highway' experience. I'm not sure whether Bieber was out of nappies at the time.... :shock:
All I sing is McCartney, and when I sing something else, I model it after McCartney. I'm improving but I still need serious work.
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

If you're serious about becoming a singer Ivan, broaden your horizons. You might want to join a choir, at school or in your community. Or even just some sort of choral society. You'll learn to sing with others, harmonize, and it will help you find your own unique voice in the long run.
JimK
beatbyrd
Intermediate Member

Post by beatbyrd »

DoubleThink wrote:True story. Wife & I are driving down the highway. McCartney comes on the radio doing Maybe I'm Amazed. I say to wife, "You know, I've always wished I could sing like him."

Please include me on that list......
"Maybe I'm Amazed", "I'm Down", and "Oh! Darling" would be the trifecta for me. I'd settle for any one of them, though. In his prime, Paul could scream like no one else. Bieber who? Tom
It's a Byrd, it's a playin'..........

'73 4001 MG
'09 360/12 FG
'10 360/6 FG
Ivan3000
Advanced Member

Post by Ivan3000 »

jimk wrote:If you're serious about becoming a singer Ivan, broaden your horizons. You might want to join a choir, at school or in your community. Or even just some sort of choral society. You'll learn to sing with others, harmonize, and it will help you find your own unique voice in the long run.
JimK
I'd like to do the whole Beatle cover band thing some day (too bad I'm righty). My friends say I'm a good singer, but they are my friends, they tell me what I want to hear, whether they know it or not. Schools choirs aren't for me to be honest, I can't stand the music they sing. No offense to anyone who was, or is in one.

Maybe I should post a recording to the RRF recording part so I can get some raw feedback...
Ivan3000
Advanced Member

Post by Ivan3000 »

IvanMunoz wrote:
jimk wrote:If you're serious about becoming a singer Ivan, broaden your horizons. You might want to join a choir, at school or in your community. Or even just some sort of choral society. You'll learn to sing with others, harmonize, and it will help you find your own unique voice in the long run.
JimK
I'd like to do the whole Beatle cover band thing some day (too bad I'm righty). My friends say I'm a good singer, but they are my friends, they tell me what I want to hear, whether they know it or not. Schools choirs aren't for me to be honest, I can't stand the music they sing. No offense to anyone who was, or is in one.

Maybe I should post a recording to the RRF recording part so I can get some raw feedback...
Not gonna happen, I tried a bunch of studio stuff, and I just got frustrated. I'm a perfectionist, and if I mess up once, it just dosn't work. I'd much rather perform infront of someone than alone to a microphone. It takes out all the fun IMO. I really guess I have to have a whim.
Melma

Post by Melma »

I'm not much of a singer but I didn't really develop until I forced myself to start performing in front of people. You learn quicker that way, I reckon. It's embarrassing for a while but it's a big incentive to get better.

Return to “Beatles' Forum”