Building a Höfner 500/1

The history and music of the Fab Four
Soulsaman

Re: Building a Höfner 500/1

Post by Soulsaman »

This was a great video. Thanks for posting!

I thought in this day and age, there would be more computers involved in making this bass.
They're probably using the same techniques they did since way back. Its pretty much all hand made from what I can see.

I sooo want one!
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

From my perspective, it looks a little too much "all hands on". Things like the drilling of the fingerboard dot holes seem contrived, to me.
FabGearHead

Post by FabGearHead »

I build guitars for a living using good old-fashioned hand work mostly, but I was amazed at the hand work involved in the video, ESPECIALLY the fret slots and dot inlays.
Fingerboards are usually slotted with a gang-saw ( small circular saw blades spaced the same as the frets ) all at once, or at least with CNC. The craftsman gluing on the neck used hot hide glue!!
onebadjazzman

Post by onebadjazzman »

Absolutely fantastic video. I was amazed and want one even more now. Those are serious craftsmen! Very hard to find any more. It's nice to see pride in one's work. Beautiful!
"There is no other..." - Mother's Finest
nukebass
Veteran RRF member

Post by nukebass »

So how did the guy working on the fretboard know where to cut the slots?
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

nukebass wrote:So how did the guy working on the fretboard know where to cut the slots?
It's all in his head! :mrgreen:
FabGearHead

Post by FabGearHead »

"So how did the guy working on the fretboard know where to cut the slots?"

Notice that he quickly placed a marking jig on the neck, pressed it down, removed it and started sawing. It appears that the jig marks fret AND fret marker positions simultaneously. I still have a hard time believing that each bass is fretted this way. How the heck does does the guy sawing keep the slots parallel to each other??
nukebass
Veteran RRF member

Post by nukebass »

I know people really like the basses, but the bodies look pretty flimsy. I guess they hold up okay, though.
daveman

Post by daveman »

FabGearHead wrote:"So how did the guy working on the fretboard know where to cut the slots?"

Notice that he quickly placed a marking jig on the neck, pressed it down, removed it and started sawing. It appears that the jig marks fret AND fret marker positions simultaneously. I still have a hard time believing that each bass is fretted this way. How the heck does does the guy sawing keep the slots parallel to each other??
It's Germany. Precision work is mandatory; mistakes are verboten.

The poor guy has probably fretted a few thousand basses. After a while you get the hang of it.
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

Yeah, now I want one. :lol:

Cool video and I too was surprised by the order of the construction in places. Also evident was the highly skilled workers.
mgauction
Advanced Member

Post by mgauction »

That was great!
Leprosy is rare & scarce but nobody wants that!
antipodean

Post by antipodean »

nukebass wrote:I know people really like the basses, but the bodies look pretty flimsy. I guess they hold up okay, though.
Yep, Macca's is still hanging in there, and it's not like it has led a pampered life!
"I don't want to sound incredulous but I can't believe it" Rex Mossop
TomLovesRics

Post by TomLovesRics »

Every time is see a video of a guitar being built it makes me want one. Now I have to go buy a Hofner Violin Beatles Bass.
rickfan63
Veteran RRF member

Post by rickfan63 »

I have a red Hofner HCT 500/1 and I love it! It's a super little bass, and so easy to play and sing with.

Return to “Beatles' Forum”