Beatles Live at the BBC

The history and music of the Fab Four
electrofaro

Re: Beatles Live at the BBC

Post by electrofaro »

nukebass wrote:Why isn't more of this stuff being released? It drives me crazy to think of all the stuff that we could hear if "the man" ( :lol: ) would let us!!!!!!
There are bootlegs full of BBC tracks... who needs official releases? :P

The first ever live at Auntie Beeb track I heard was "The Night Before" - I've always preferred it over the album version! :D
'67 Fender Coronado II CAB * '17 1963 ES-335 PB * currently rickless
beatbyrd
Intermediate Member

Post by beatbyrd »

Hi, I just posted a 'for sale' in Second Strum for a vinyl copy of the Beatles "LIve at the BBC". It's a 2 LP set and is still factory sealed; never played. It's the UK version that I brought back from a mid 90's trip to London. Tom
IMG_0369.small.jpg
It's a Byrd, it's a playin'..........

'73 4001 MG
'09 360/12 FG
'10 360/6 FG
DavyR

Post by DavyR »

All the BBC CDs and boots are possibly my favorite Beatles recordings and, IMO, represent the true Beatles. IMO, most of the live concert audio is a bit too rough and too low fidelity. The BBC recordings are of better quality, though there are some overdubs. The first time that I heard all the unreleased songs was back in summer 1973 on the boot "Yellow Matter Custard". It sounded so weird and different back then, and changed my perception of The Beatles. It was like, "WHAT is this?!"
beatlefreak

Post by beatlefreak »

When the Beatles did radio shows for the BBC (The bulk being in 1963 and 1964), they were a performing band. Once they had azquired a recording contract, their live shows were reduced to the hits they produced. As performers,the singles (45s) showcased these hits. The albums (which rarely contained the hit singles) showcased other new music that they felt didn't have "hit" potential. The radio shows allowed them to play the music they loved to do - mainly early Motown, rockabilly and standards.

Without these BBC recordings, we would have very little to let us hear how the Beatles sounded on stage in 1961 and 1962. They are invaluable for listening to the Beatles as a performing band.

As for the quality, remember that the BBC kept very few of these shows, as they did not have the storage capability to keep recordings from hundreds of radio shows of the era. Many of these recordings on Live at the BBC are from home listeners who had the insight to run a tape recorder during the Beatles radio shows. Also remember that these were AM broadcasts, and the receiving and recording equipment was inferior to what we have today. With this in mind, some of the recordings are excellent. The lesser quality recordings are there because a higher quality source could not be found. I'd rather have a lower quality recording of a song than not have it at all.
Ka is a wheel.
JakeK
RRF Consultant

Post by JakeK »

beatlefreak wrote:When the Beatles did radio shows for the BBC (The bulk being in 1963 and 1964), they were a performing band. Once they had azquired a recording contract, their live shows were reduced to the hits they produced. As performers,the singles (45s) showcased these hits. The albums (which rarely contained the hit singles) showcased other new music that they felt didn't have "hit" potential. The radio shows allowed them to play the music they loved to do - mainly early Motown, rockabilly and standards.

Without these BBC recordings, we would have very little to let us hear how the Beatles sounded on stage in 1961 and 1962. They are invaluable for listening to the Beatles as a performing band.

As for the quality, remember that the BBC kept very few of these shows, as they did not have the storage capability to keep recordings from hundreds of radio shows of the era. Many of these recordings on Live at the BBC are from home listeners who had the insight to run a tape recorder during the Beatles radio shows. Also remember that these were AM broadcasts, and the receiving and recording equipment was inferior to what we have today. With this in mind, some of the recordings are excellent. The lesser quality recordings are there because a higher quality source could not be found. I'd rather have a lower quality recording of a song than not have it at all.
+1,000,000 !!! 8)
Hotzenplotz
Intermediate Member

Post by Hotzenplotz »

Imagine just this:

You lived at that time in the UK.
You were already grown up.
You enjoyed most of this "new" music.
You listened to the BBC whenever there was such a broadcast of these bands.
You were beware of all of that.

Even today You have so much to feel good about. Still so many stories to tell.
Those days were not easy, for sure. But they had their moments, too.
brammy

Post by brammy »

beat-gen-6545a.jpg
beat-gen-6545b.jpg
beat-gen-6545c.jpg
beat-gen-6545d.jpg
At the BBC

Return to “Beatles' Forum”