Mastering the entire catalog

The history and music of the Fab Four
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Mastering the entire catalog

Post by kiramdear »

That's my goal: all the parts off of all their albums. I'm learning one song a day and writing charts for each one in turn. It should take six or seven months at that rate, and hopefully I'll pick up some partners along the way. Anyone in the SF area want to learn along with me?

So far I've done the A side of Please Please Me and it's fun! There are lots of tutorials on YouTube as well as live clips from their many shows around the world.

Wish me luck! As soon as I've charted everything and found some partners I plan to get out there with a live tribute act.
All I wanna do is rock!
beatbyrd
Intermediate Member

Re: Mastering the entire catalog

Post by beatbyrd »

Kira, are you doing something different from the complete scores book? The book does contain a few errors here and there, but nearly all of the various parts are already written out and seem to be correct. Wouldn't at least starting from that book save you a lot of work? Good luck in your quest. Tom
It's a Byrd, it's a playin'..........

'73 4001 MG
'09 360/12 FG
'10 360/6 FG
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Post by kiramdear »

Tom, I don't know the book you mention. I'm writing new charts my own way, based on Youtube tutorials and live performance video. And my own ear, of course. Who is the author?
All I wanna do is rock!
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

Are you going to do the strings and horns and all from such albums as Sgt. Pepper, or Magical Mystery Tour? :shock: :shock: Have to corresponded with Ronn Roberts?
JimK
Clint
Intermediate Member

Post by Clint »

Good luck on Revolution 9.
Jangle, Chime & Twang.
Badanovski

Post by Badanovski »

KIra the book mentioned is "The Beatles Complete Scores" by Hal Leonard. It's available all over.
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Post by kiramdear »

Thanks! I found it online and will probably pick it up.

The "charts" that I will find most useful are more like cheat sheets for after the parts are learned - basically lyric charts with the chords written above and the songs laid out with the parts in order. That's where I need the most help. The actual parts are in my head, gleaned from video tutorials and live performance clips.
All I wanna do is rock!
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Post by kiramdear »

I was in touch with Ronn when I came up with this idea a while back. He was very supportive and forthcoming with his experiences. Then I put off the project after I failed to recruit any partners. But now I'm picking it up again because it's become important to me as an endeavor in its own right. Whether I find partners or not I want the satisfaction of knowing the material in detail.

Perhaps I failed the first time because I was looking specifically for female partners. A novel approach, but it didn't get off the ground. This time I'm opening the call up to anyone regardless of gender who wants to be a part of it.
All I wanna do is rock!
JakeK
RRF Consultant

Post by JakeK »

Good luck, Kira. Have you thought about using the Isolated Rock Band tracks for guidance as well?
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Post by kiramdear »

Good idea, Jake! So far I've had no problems sussing out the parts but your idea may come in handy at some point. 8)
All I wanna do is rock!
JakeK
RRF Consultant

Post by JakeK »

kiramdear wrote:Good idea, Jake! So far I've had no problems sussing out the parts but your idea may come in handy at some point. 8)
Especially from Rubber Soul onward. With a tab and the isolation, I managed to get "If I Needed Someone" down pretty well 8)

I'm also going to use the isolation to get the "Fixing a Hole" parts down. Could only imagine how scary good that song would sound with a Maestro Fuzz-Tone and a Gibson SG Standard :shock: 8)
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

kiramdear wrote:...it's become important to me as an endeavor in its own right. Whether I find partners or not I want the satisfaction of knowing the material in detail.
I understand completely! I've been working on just such a project for years. And that project is what led me to take drum lessons right off. Now I'm finally seeing the end in sight.
JimK
ricmic

Post by ricmic »

Kira, if I lived within 100 miles of you I would be there daily. Sounds like a great project and a lot of fun. Mark
Ivan3000
Advanced Member

Post by Ivan3000 »

I've got a lot of them on the bass! If only I lived in CA!
Good luck, Kira!
Folkie
Advanced Member

Post by Folkie »

Very ambitious project, Kira! Please keep us posted on how it goes. Have you thought about sharing some of your transcriptions here?

Return to “Beatles' Forum”