79 JG 4001
80 FG 620/12
81 BG 480
91 JG 610
02 BG 620
78 TR7
83 TR25
electrofaro

Re: Beatles concert home movie with RICS.

Post by electrofaro »

Däng, doesn't load any video for me :(
'67 Fender Coronado II CAB * '17 1963 ES-335 PB * currently rickless
servant

Post by servant »

^^^that link^^^ wrote:Previously unseen footage of The Beatles playing an unscheduled gig during their first tour of America has been found lying in a drawer after 44 years.
While the short article does not mention the location, the only unscheduled gig I ever read about was (I think) Kansas City. Story of the Beatles playing cards, looking forward to the one free night in a string of concerts. Some promoter flew to where they were playing (some time before free night) and offered them money. They didn't even look up from card game. Kept raising the amount until he got their attention, and was ultimately successful in luring them to his town. Could that be this gig?
Ontario_RIC_fan
Advanced Member

Post by Ontario_RIC_fan »

The video does not seem to be on the site any more. It was grainy Colour 8mm footage. It featured both John and George playing their RICS, and Paul playing the Hofner. Definitely from 1964, so it could be indeed from Kansas City.

A quick google confirms this http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/3273941 ... years.html
http://abbeyrd.best.vwh.net/news/1029beatleskansas.html

http://www.genesis-publications.com/New ... Years/0411

The article was from 2008

Beatles video unearthed after 44 years
Previously unseen footage of The Beatles playing an unscheduled gig during their first tour of America has been found lying in a drawer after 44 years.
Link to this video

2:21PM GMT 28 Oct 2008

The colour, but silent, film was recorded covertly at the concert in Kansas City in 1964 and is believed to be the only recording of the 31 minute gig.

Fan Drew Dimmel, who is now selling the roll of 8mm film reel at a British auction house, was 15 when he went to see the band in his home city.

He took his father's brand new "movie" camera and despite strict restrictions about filming, managed to persuade a local reporter to take some shots.

After getting home, Drew checked the film contained footage of The Beatles then shut it in a drawer and forgot about it.

Two months ago the 59-year-old was clearing out his parents' home and was stunned when he discovered the tape still in its photo-lab box.
Related Articles

Linda McCartney photos go on display
08 Jun 2011

Beatles video unearthed after 44 years
28 Oct 2008

Ringo 'too busy' for fans
13 Oct 2008

Penny Lane nurse identified
28 Oct 2008

Although there are just two minutes of footage the pre-sale estimate is a whopping 6,000 pounds and Beatles collectors from around the world are expected to bid.

The gig at the Municipal Stadium in Kansas City, Missouri, was controversial because of the unpopularity of Charles Finley, owner of the Kansas City Athletics Baseball Team.

The local press urged a boycott of the concert in protest against Finley and as a result the stadium was almost half empty.

The Beatles' manager Brian Epstein had managed to negotiate a fee of $150,000 for the gig, which helped leave Finley out of pocket.

Mr Dimmel said: "When confirmation was announced on my local "rock" station, WHB, that tickets were going on sale to see The Beatles, live, at Municipal Stadium in Kansas City I persuaded my dad to drive me down to the ticket booth.

"I bought two field-level tickets, paying $6.50 apiece; one for my little brother and one for me. I was 15 and he was 12.

"On the evening of September 17, 1964, 20,000 of us gathered at Municipal Stadium to hear The Beatles.

"My father agreed to lend me his brand new "colour" regular-8mm movie camera for the evening.

"I was going to stand in front of the stage and film the show but, when the lights dimmed a policemen told us to find our seats.

"A local reporter who was a friend of my dad was in the press barrier and he recognised us and said he would try and get some shots of The Beatles for us.

"I thanked him and obediently handed my dad's brand new movie camera to a total stranger.

"The next day I took the film to our local camera store, making no mention of its contents, and waited for them to develop it. I paid four dollars developing fee.

"I went straight home, checked to see that images on the little reel were The Beatles, opened the drawer of our old desk and placed it in the bottom of the drawer.

"And there it's been for the last half of a century until we cleared out my parent's estate two months ago.

The sale will be held on November 4.
Brian Morton
A Rickenbacker Fan
in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
=========================
67 FG 625
74 JG 4000
76 JG 430
77 JG 620
77 JG 320
79 JG 4001
80 FG 620/12
81 BG 480
91 JG 610
02 BG 620
78 TR7
83 TR25
Ontario_RIC_fan
Advanced Member

Post by Ontario_RIC_fan »

Brian Morton
A Rickenbacker Fan
in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
=========================
67 FG 625
74 JG 4000
76 JG 430
77 JG 620
77 JG 320
79 JG 4001
80 FG 620/12
81 BG 480
91 JG 610
02 BG 620
78 TR7
83 TR25
electrofaro

Post by electrofaro »

Wildberry wrote:Däng, doesn't load any video for me :(
Ghostery blocked the video... once I paused it and reloaded it does show the video! :D
'67 Fender Coronado II CAB * '17 1963 ES-335 PB * currently rickless
rick325

Post by rick325 »

As short as it is, I can't be certain ,I think this film might be sept 12 baltimore civic center 1964.
There were two shows 2pm & 8pm(sunday) I was seven and I was there,7th row center!
I have bl/wt. photo's my dad took, bill black combo opened up, another band "girl group I think", and Jackie de shannon,
who as I remember would not get off!! and the boy's came on and were gone as quick! (30 min.)
The reason I think it's that day is it's the same exact stage and drum riser, blk.suits standard for then, but the main object
is the half moon spot lite on the very unique rear curtain. One thing differant is the placement of george's gretsch
as he put his guitar's on the dr. riser ''layed flat" when he changed for the rick 12.
I was at the earley show , this might be at the evening show . If this is the balt. show I've been looking for this a long time.
I do remember that day , as if it were yest. '' one of the best of my life'' alot of cams. & 8mm's going on that day,
I wondered why , in all the shots of them there were none of this venue, maybe it was to small a show?
Most people say they couldn't hear any thing over the screaming, I heard every song(at least enough to tell the song)
Big thing to me was how they looked exactly like we saw them on tv ( go figure right).
anyhow thanx for sharing the clip, brings me way back!!!!

[[beatlesyellowsubmarine]]....It's where we all live
rick325

Post by rick325 »

Just saw the full clip on u tube,
Nope it's not balt. civic (bummer) . this is the closest I've come so far though!
Somebody out there has a clip, the place was jammed!
Great clip all the same, man that's pretty close, just 5 day's apart,
It's gettin better all the time" can't get no worse"
thanx.

Return to “Beatles' Forum”