Lennon's '58 325 pickguard & tuning keys to be auctioned

The history and music of the Fab Four
jeff
Veteran RRF member

Lennon's '58 325 pickguard & tuning keys to be auctioned

Post by jeff »

Here's something that all of you Rickresource members and Beatles Fans will find interesting!!!!!!! Going on the auction block this Friday the 14th!!!!!
From the TRACKS website:

Treasured Mementos From Lennon's 'Favourite' Rickenbacker Guitar To Be Auctioned

John Lennon's 1958 Rickenbacker 325 is thought to be one of the most significant guitars in the history of popular music and the man himself once called it his favourite possession. It was played on most of the Beatles early recordings, seen by tens of millions on their American television debut and, to this day, remains in the private collection of Yoko Ono. Now you have the chance to own original parts from the legendary instrument, which are being sold off by Lennon's former guitar technician for up to £40,000.

The guitar's original pick-guard and tuning pegs are being auctioned in London later this month. They are the property of Ron DeMarino, who has kept them since he removed them while doing some restoration work in New York in 1972. DeMarino, who operated from a music shop in Long Island, acted as an adviser to Lennon on matters relating to the purchase and maintenance of instruments during the 1970s.

"John had asked me to do some restoration work on the guitar and in taking it apart I noticed some of the parts were worn and faded, so I checked with John and said I would put on new tuners and a new pick-guard," DeMarino said. "He agreed and I asked him if he would mind if I kept the old parts and he said 'No, they're yours.' We've had them in the family for more than 40 years now and we have cherished them."

DeMarino said he got to know Lennon well while repairing and restoring his instruments. "We felt at ease," he said of his relationship with the star. "Sometimes we'd go and eat at Home, a vegetarian restaurant on the Upper East Side, and discuss kids and family life. He was quite a regular guy, real down to earth."

The original pick-guard, which has distinctive identifying marks, can clearly be seen on the instrument during footage and photographs from the Beatles' famous appearance on the Ed Sullivan Show in February 1964, the television spot which helped them break America.

Lennon bought the guitar, serial number V81, from a music store in Hamburg in 1960. He used it almost exclusively from the moment he bought it until February 1964 when he was given a new model by the Rickenbacker company. In an interview in 1965, author Ray Coleman asked for a list of Lennon's favourite possessions and he replied, "My first Rickenbacker guitar. It's a bit hammered now. I just keep it for kicks."

"It's a truly amazing piece because that Rickenbacker is considered one of the most important rock and roll guitars of all time," said TracksAuction.com's auctioneer Helen Hall. The original invoicing and documentation relating to the charges for restoration will accompany the sale.

The parts have an estimate of between £20,000 and £40,000. The auction also contains over 100 lots of rare Beatles memorabilia including John Lennon's Gretsch 6120 guitar which was used to record the Beatles song Paperback Writer, a copy of the Sgt. Pepper album signed by John, Paul, George and Ringo and the banjo played by Rod Davis in John's original group, the Quarrymen.

Online bidding begins this Friday 14th November with the live auction at Le Meridien Hotel, London on November 23. Viewing is being held at Le Méridien Hotel from 12.00pm to 5.00pm #GMT# on Saturday 22nd November 2014.

Please see http://www.TracksAuction.com to view a promotional video for the Rickenbacker parts which contains an interview with Ron DeMarino.

A full colour 88 page catalogue containing 214 lots of high quality Beatles and Rock And Roll Memorabilia.

The catalogue is for the forthcoming sale being held at Le Méridien Hotel, Piccadilly London on the 23rd November 2014. The highlight of the auction is undoubtedly the sale of John Lennon's Gretsch 6120 Guitar as played on The Beatles hit single Paperback Writer. There are also a variety of lots relating to The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, The Who, Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix, The Sex Pistols, Michael Jackson, Kate Bush, Madonna, Joy Division and many others. Each lot is described and features at least one colour image. The catalogue measures 21cm x 30cm #8.25 inches x 11.75 inches#.
Attachments
Lennon pickguard.jpg
ChadCraddock

Re: Lennon's '58 325 pickguard & tuning keys to be auctioned

Post by ChadCraddock »

Online Bidding opens today at 4pm (GMT), you can register here - http://tracksauction.auctionserver.net/

The lots are open to public viewing at Le Meridien on Saturday 22nd, and the auction will end with a live event on Sunday 23rd.

You can get catalogues here - http://www.tracksauction.com/purchase-catalogue/
j.alderton

Post by j.alderton »

I find this particularly fascinating! Great, up close images of that pickguard.

I wish his instruments could some day be on display, and as accessible as Harrison's were at the recent Grammy Museum exhibit.
1a12

Post by 1a12 »

Last year at the Philly Guitar expo, a family member was really interested in getting the Maestro copy I have to put those parts on it haha. I couldn't bring myself to sell it to him, seemed ultimately sacriligious... :idea:
ChadCraddock

Post by ChadCraddock »

j.alderton wrote:I find this particularly fascinating! Great, up close images of that pickguard.

I wish his instruments could some day be on display, and as accessible as Harrison's were at the recent Grammy Museum exhibit.
Jon,

John Lennon's Gretsch 6120 guitar which we are also auctioning (http://tracksauction.auctionserver.net/ ... id%2F58%2F) was on display at the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame in Cleveland, Ohio for a while. A lot of his instruments are now owned by private collectors or by the Lennon Estate.
j.alderton

Post by j.alderton »

Thank you, Chad, for this added information (also very interesting). The photographs of the current auction items and the accompanying video are truly remarkable.
mgauction
Advanced Member

Post by mgauction »

It sold for $35,000.
Leprosy is rare & scarce but nobody wants that!

Return to “Beatles' Forum”