Road Trip - The Canon

The history and music of the Fab Four
iiipopes
Intermediate Member

Road Trip - The Canon

Post by iiipopes »

I'm going out to visit a friend over Labor Day weekend. 9-10 hour drive each way. By myself. So for the first time in years, I'm going to get to take "The Canon" (i.e. all of the accepted commercial Beatles albums, primarily as Parlophone initially released them, and the singles collections) with me and have uninterrupted listening pleasure, everything in order from the Decca records, both as themselves and with Tony Sheridan, through to Let It Be.

Yes, the other recordings are wonderful in their own way as well, from my vinyl of the Star Club tapes (the one that has now been buried - but I got one back then before it was) to Anthology, Let It Be Naked, etc., and the various greatest hits compilations, but not this trip. I will have lots of time for that later on.

Oh - and just so everyone will know - I don't have all the Capital rainbow label vinyl; but I do have the "second generation" Apple vinyl, including a numbered White Album (purchased new, of course); Moreover, all of my CD's, which is what I'm taking, were purchased new by me the first month of release on CD of each album in 1987-8, including a numbered CD White Album, and the compilations of the singles that didn't make it on to albums, when the collections were first issued as well on CD.

Should I get the remastered 2009 editions? Maybe. On the original CD's, do I miss, among other things, the omission of the first chord on "I'm Looking Through You," and some other details, and the general airiness and natural dynamic expansion? Yes. But I do have the vinyl.

On this trip, it is the Canon on original CD issue. Happy Labor Day to everyone!
jps
RRF Consultant

Re: Road Trip - The Canon

Post by jps »

I thought you were going tell us what Canon gear you were taking with you. :(

Have fun! :D
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Well, a snapshot in time Jeff! :)
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
iiipopes
Intermediate Member

Post by iiipopes »

jps wrote:I thought you were going tell us what Canon gear you were taking with you. :(

Thanks!
8mileshigher

Road Trip - The Canon

Post by 8mileshigher »

jps wrote:I thought you were going tell us what Canon gear you were taking with you. :(

And I thought he was referring to that Baroque music piece, the Pachelbel Canon ! :shock: :roll: :lol:
iiipopes
Intermediate Member

Post by iiipopes »

The trip was great. The weather for travel was great. My friend and his family are doing well. It was good to see them. Ahhh - everything from Ain't She Sweet to The Long And Winding Road - twice - ahhh. It was a great trip.
brammy

Post by brammy »

Should I get the remastered 2009 editions?
To my ear, most of the remastered stuff is garbage. I listened to "1" and was so disappointed I almost puked.... the voice/instrument balance is all off.
1.jpg
If there really was "Truth in Advertisement" it would say
Rare Remixed Ruined

"Revolution" later appeared on the 1970 US compilation album Hey Jude, the first time the song was issued in stereo. Lennon disliked the stereo mix, saying in a 1974 interview that the mono mix of "Revolution" was a "heavy record" but "then they made it into a piece of ice cream!" The song was released on other compilations, including 1967–1970 and Past Masters. It was remixed for the 2006 soundtrack album Love, appearing in full length on the DVD-Audio version and as a shortened edit on other versions.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

brammy wrote:
Should I get the remastered 2009 editions?
To my ear, most of the remastered stuff is garbage. I listened to "1" and was so disappointed I almost puked.... the voice/instrument balance is all off.
1.jpg
If there really was "Truth in Advertisement" it would say
Rare Remixed Ruined

"Revolution" later appeared on the 1970 US compilation album Hey Jude, the first time the song was issued in stereo. Lennon disliked the stereo mix, saying in a 1974 interview that the mono mix of "Revolution" was a "heavy record" but "then they made it into a piece of ice cream!" The song was released on other compilations, including 1967–1970 and Past Masters. It was remixed for the 2006 soundtrack album Love, appearing in full length on the DVD-Audio version and as a shortened edit on other versions.
So, the remix was done by some 20-something hip-hop guy or some indie punk dude who's never heard a Beatles song in his life until being hired to to the remixes?
brammy

Post by brammy »

So, the remix was done by some 20-something hip-hop guy or some indie punk dude who's never heard a Beatles song in his life until being hired to to the remixes?
Did I say that?
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

I forgot to add: :mrgreen:
Badanovski

Post by Badanovski »

Apart from George Martin's initial re-mix re-master, when the catalog was converted to CD, haven't all the subsequent versions been re-masters only. Using Martin's digital remixes or original stereo tape?
brammy

Post by brammy »

Here's an article about the remaster effort that became "1"

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/11/11/gi ... -remasters

I just think the balance is off..... voicals too prominent and instruments too far in the background. To me it all boiled down to one big "YUK! Just give me the original mono"
Kiddwad57
Intermediate Member

Post by Kiddwad57 »

Hey Brammy, that was a good read, thanks. My main core is the mono masters box set with additional versions and recordings as necessary to fill out the experience. I'd still like to get the One box to see the videos.
Don't let democracy end democracy.

Return to “Beatles' Forum”