The Beatles: Eight Days a Week -- The Touring Years

The history and music of the Fab Four
rickyfricky
Intermediate Member

Re: The Beatles: Eight Days a Week -- The Touring Years

Post by rickyfricky »

Saw it last week in the smaller of the two theaters in my town...VERY worthwhile.

And for anyone who has yet to see it in theaters, be sure and stay until the end when they play the Shea Stadium Concert. When I saw it they brought up the lights when the credits rolled and most everyone exited, and then they dimmed the lights and played the concert. To me and two others. :)
Watch those teeth, Marlin. I'm not sure we've properly sedated the beast . . .
Folkie
Advanced Member

Post by Folkie »

I had the exact same experience, although I'd read on this thread about the restored Shea Stadium footage, so I knew to stay until after all the credits rolled.
brammy

Post by brammy »

Saw it last weekend and I think the afterword Shea footage was probably the best part.

As for the film itself, I came away thinking that it was worthwhile (very little Beatle stuff is not) but was disappointed overall. Part of this has to do with the MOUNTAIN of info and film that had to be eliminated to squeeze things down to movie length. There was no new information for a hardcore Beatle fan and so many of the clips are better seen on YouTube in their entirety.

Lastly, I know it says "The Touring Years", but early in the film they did talk about and show images of the Quarrymen and the early Beatle incarnations. But never once is Pete Best's name mentioned. Shame shame,,,, Also, only cursory coverage is given to the disastrous Manilla visit. If they wanted to show why the Fabs got so fed up with touring, this could have been explained in more detail. These are but two of the glaring omissions I found and part of the reason I only give this film a passing grade of "C".
beat-gen-11128a.jpg
beat-gen-11128b.jpg
beat-gen-11128c.jpg
beat-gen-11128d.jpg
Kiddwad57
Intermediate Member

Post by Kiddwad57 »

It may take another generation with someone like Ken Burns directing to get an in-depth documentary on the Beatles. It was a fine movie but not surprising in that it took a "Happy Days" approach to things.

Pete Best?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tshxHmknFcQ
Don't let democracy end democracy.
Kiddwad57
Intermediate Member

Post by Kiddwad57 »

It was better watching it a second time; no expectations. I was able to enjoy it for what it is.
Don't let democracy end democracy.

Return to “Beatles' Forum”