Are the Beatles still popular and relevent?

The history and music of the Fab Four
teeder

Re: Are the Beatles still popular and relevent?

Post by teeder »

My kids love the Beatles!
My 11 yr old daughter, Haven is also a big Who fan. She puts the extended version of Live at Leeds on every time she gets into the truck!
Daniel also likes CCR & Zeppelin and has turned all his friends on to this era.
Kiddwad57
Intermediate Member

Post by Kiddwad57 »

Not about the Beatles but interesting nonetheless. We were having dinner with some friends last night and one of the guests was a sixteen year old kid who plays drums. He is totally into the blues, Buddy Guy, Muddy, the Staples, etc. So traditions are being carried on.
Don't let democracy end democracy.
sowhat
RRF Consultant

Post by sowhat »

Um, well, judging by the looong and heavy battles at our local rock music forum — as to whether the Beatles are "the best band in history ever" or "ah, forget that, they're just a hugely overrated boy band that played silly pop songs blah-blah-blah" — they still are. How come a band that doesn't exist for over 45 years have that many lovers and perhaps as many haters? I dunno. But that's the fact.
Nothing will get you dead quicker than being deadly serious about yourself.
scotty

Post by scotty »

Every Generation throws a hero up the pop charts.
Are The Beatles still relevant?
They are only relevant to whoever discovers them again and again.Lets hope so.
FabGearHead

Post by FabGearHead »

John, Paul, George and Ringo were a unique blend of raw talent, energy, eclectic musical tastes and perfect timing. The quality and broad spectrum of their songs is why they still are relevent. They pushed the envelope and broke the rules as they shed what they considered "ordinary music stereotypes" while creating what we know now to be musical masterpieces. Yes, their music and influence will live on...

Jim
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

libratune wrote:Try this on for size:

https://youtu.be/lj8LEL4gbQU
Always have liked the MonaLisa Twins. Good Beatles interpreters, and their own material is really nice, too. Hearing them always makes me smile.
JimK
cassius987

Post by cassius987 »

collin wrote:NOPE!

I was the girl with the pink hair (never thought I'd be saying that) for many years, because I felt the Beatles had been pushed on me by society at large and was sick of hearing about them. Didn't quite like the vocal style or the general sound. Particularly didn't get the appeal of John Lennon. (Now he's my favorite. I usually hate the stuff I later come to love, whereas indifference can be pretty lasting.)

The problem is I never really listened to them closely or with good audio equipment. I think more than half of people who have heard Beatles music have only heard the vocals and guitars really well, via TVs and tinny radios and department store PAs. When I could really hear what Paul and Ringo were up to in full, my opinion immediately changed. Not just to say, "Oh, the rhythm section was good," but rather, everything all clicked in for me. Now I would rank "A Day In The Life" as one of the greatest songs of all time.

That being said, everything must change. We should never expect culture to be static in any way or we will find ourselves left to rot. I'm already an old fogey because I think Tool are the greatest thing that ever happened -- now they're classic rock. Ha!

The cool thing about music now is that the ecosystem is so diverse that it's really difficult to pigeonhole anyone into a certain type of listener. I have no familiarity with the pop music of today because I literally don't have time to listen to it, there's so much else out there that's engaging. There are more ways to find and consume music than ever. I'm listening to more genres than ever. A lot of it coming from artists I have never heard of. It's great!
Folkie
Advanced Member

Post by Folkie »

FabGearHead wrote:John, Paul, George and Ringo were a unique blend of raw talent, energy, eclectic musical tastes and perfect timing. The quality and broad spectrum of their songs is why they still are relevent. They pushed the envelope and broke the rules as they shed what they considered "ordinary music stereotypes" while creating what we know now to be musical masterpieces. Yes, their music and influence will live on...

Jim
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VUj6Psd_3c
mudflap

Post by mudflap »

I had a daughter late in life when I was 50. She is 24 now and listens to the Beatles on XM radio all the time. Many people do now that the Beatles have their own station.
2007 Rickenbacker 325C58, 2018 Rickenbacker 325C64, 2006 Fender classic 60s Strat with Fender pure 59 pick ups. 1990 Fender Dreadnaught. Fender Champion 20, and 100 amps. Yamaha G50 112 11 amp.
Previous fenders..1958 Jazzmaster, 1959 Stratocaster.

Return to “Beatles' Forum”