Educate Me - George Harrison

The history and music of the Fab Four
Ric5150

Educate Me - George Harrison

Post by Ric5150 »

Ok Beatles fans - help me build a listening list, please.

There was once a time when I had to strictly limit the number of new-release albums/CDs I bought in a month to make sure I could pay rent. Things have changed, and sadly, it's been quite a while since I bought anything other than the odd single here or there - so time to look backward a little and educate myself.

Don't hate me :wink: , but the only Beatles album I have is "1" (and a little Lennon solo stuff). Apart from those hits and radio staples, I don't know a whole lot. I listen to the XM Tom Petty station quite a bit and he plays quite a few Beatles 'deeper cuts'. Some I like, others not so much. I think that's the kind of thing that kept me from diving in and buying a bunch of albums.

I'm a huge fan of Mike Campbell's writing/playing style and I've known for some time that Harrison was a huge influence. I know enough to pick that up in his slide playing, in particular. What really stikes me about Campbell is how he takes sparse and seemingly simple phrases, embellishes them in subtle ways that defy scoring notation, and always plays to the song. I know a good bit of that is from Harrison - I've picked up that much, at least.

I've often told younger guitarists/musicians who feel they've plateau'd that they should listen to the influences of their influences, so I'm taking a bit of my own advice - and there's a wealth of knowledge here.

Could you please each give me 3 songs (and only 3 songs) which you feel display the qualities I've mentioned above. Not the "we've all heard it on the radio 1000 times" stuff, the 'deeper' stuff I don't know about. Don't worry about repeating what someone else says. Multiple listings tell me I should definitely check out the song.

I would appreciate your help.

Dan

EDIT: This seemed to be the best location for this. If it should have gone elsewhere, I apologize.
Life is suffering; the cause of suffering is desire. Envy is a deadly sin. Save your soul, go ahead and buy another one....
rickyfricky
Intermediate Member

Re: Educate Me - George Harrison

Post by rickyfricky »

I'm in: 8)

1. Any Road

2. Sue Me Sue You Blues

3. Life Itself

Extra Credit: Marwa Blues

And his dobro playing on Lennon's "Crippled Inside".

A MUST Read: While My Guitar Gently Weeps: The Music of George Harrison by Simon Leng
Watch those teeth, Marlin. I'm not sure we've properly sedated the beast . . .
Folkie
Advanced Member

Post by Folkie »

"If I Needed Someone" (Rubber Soul)

"While My Guitar Gently Weeps" (The White Album)

"I Want to Tell You" (Revolver)

Happy listening, Dan! 8) 8) 8)
Kiddwad57
Intermediate Member

Post by Kiddwad57 »

Anything anyone else offered and I'll throw in "What Is Life," "Beware of Darkness," and "Blow Away."
Don't let democracy end democracy.
soundmasterg
RRF Consultant

Post by soundmasterg »

Another great one that others haven't mentioned is "I'd Have you Anytime." And maybe try "When we was Fab" and "All those Years Ago."

Greg

Return to “Beatles' Forum”