How the Beatles Wrote ‘A Day in the Life’

The history and music of the Fab Four
hamilton_square

Post by hamilton_square »

How the Beatles Wrote ‘A Day in the Life’ [and] Fifty years after its release, the sprawling closing track on Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band remains a testament to the group’s ambitious songwriting.
So goes the leading sentence of an online article, written in the form of an essay by New York born writer and baseball fan, Nicholas Dawidoff, that appears in the current addition of Washington D.C. based The Atlantic Magazine (dated 18 May 2017). However, no need for Beatles aficionados of this site to rush out and buy a copy of the magazine because it can be read via the link below …

https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainme ... fe/527001/

It’s a very thoughtful and well-constructed argument of near academic standard that attempts, in retrospect, to examine the character of John Lennon and events surrounding the recording of Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band – and well worth a read in my opinion. Based here in the UK I’ve vaguely heard of the writing skills of Nicholas Dawidoff, but, has he tends to write near exclusively about US related matters I don’t always have the opportunity to read his work from this far afield. This essay gives me a chance to do so.
Folkie
Advanced Member

Re: How the Beatles Wrote ‘A Day in the Life’

Post by Folkie »

Thanks so much for the link(s) Peter! The piece on "A Day in the Life" is fascinating, and the two other articles whose links are in the text (one on Lennon and McCartney's collaborations, and the other on "Hey Jude") are even better. Who would have known that the editors of The Atlantic would be so hip!
8mileshigher

Post by 8mileshigher »

Thanks for posting The Atlantic link --- a very interesting article
teeder

Re: How the Beatles Wrote ‘A Day in the Life’

Post by teeder »

+1!

Return to “Beatles' Forum”