My Rickenbacker Sound! Check it out!

Let Us Know About Your Performances Past, Present and Future
Oldworldman

My Rickenbacker Sound! Check it out!

Post by Oldworldman »

Hello Forum,

I just wanted to share with you guys my RIC sound. Please click on the link Below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVj_kMxpJ1I

Enjoy!
cjj
RRF Moderator

Re: My Rickenbacker Sound! Check it out!

Post by cjj »

Welcome to the RRF! Great vid and sound by the way!
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
Oldworldman

Post by Oldworldman »

Hey Cjj! Thank you! :D
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Welcome, Todd! 8)

Sounds great, really! :D

Tell us about your pedals/backline. I love the distortion you are getting on the Ricks.
Oldworldman

Post by Oldworldman »

I am glad you like it! It took a lot of research and experimentation to achieve this and I was finally so happy with it I had to share it!

My signal path is as follows:

Rickenbacker 4001 bass to homemade Ric-O-sound box (I had to design my own because I use it for my 4080 double necks for switching and the RIC factory to my knowledge did not make one for double necks) (See attached picture) then my bass side goes into an Ashly SC-40 Preamp with a distortion Mod, then to a BGW750B Power amp, then to a Sunn 2X15 Cabinet. The treble side goes to a Sansamp RBI then to another BGW750B Power Amp and then to an Ampeg Stack consisting of an SVT Classic 4X10 and an SVT Classic 1X15.

On my double necks the guitar signal path is as follows:

Out of guitar Ric-o-sound to the same ric-o-sound box, then the treble side goes to a dual output Ibanez Chorus pedal, then the stereo outputs go directly to the main mixing board Left and Right panned, the bass side goes mono to the board dry, no effect except board reverb, panned center, the three tones are then blended together.

Attached is a picture of my custom ric-o-sound box for my 4080 double necks.
Attachments
Here is a picture of the Homemade Ric-O-sound Box I designed for my 4080 double necks.
Here is a picture of the Homemade Ric-O-sound Box I designed for my 4080 double necks.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

I had an SC-40 back in the early '80s, probably should have kept it! My first rack preamp was a green face Furman PQ-3 that I bought in '78, I should have kept that, too! :mrgreen:

I did get a second GF PQ-3 at one point that I paired up with a Crown D150A that went into an Acoustic 402 cabinet with EVM-15L drivers. Eventually, I started going smaller after getting my first Walter Woods amp (I am on my 3rd, an Eletracoustic Super :D ), and now use one of two custom made Low Down Sound cabinets, both have the same 18Sound 6ND410 mid/high driver, the smaller cabinet having two Ciare NDC8-3 drivers, the larger cabinet has two Eminence 3012LF drivers. I also have a great little Aguilar Tone Hammer 500, my go to amp these days for gigs. I recently bought a Bass Big Muff π, which is turning out to be a really fun tool for live shows. For recordings I have a Universal Audio LA-610 Mk II preamp/compressor. I also have an MXR Analog Chorus (which sounds really sweet and retains the bottom end) and an Ernie Ball VP Jr. volume pedal and will run my Stroboflip out of it. The Walter Woods Super amp is racked along with a Korg DTR-1 rack tuner.

I have gone through lots of Rick basses going back to my first, a Feb. '67 4005WB in Jetglo that I got in '73 while in high school. At the moment I am down to two, a March '73 4001 in Mapleglo, and an April'98 4001V63 in Fireglo. The V63 sports a modern scatterwound toaster and a built up early '60 magnetic horseshoe pickup with the .0047µF capacitor in line with the HS PU. Both basses have TI Jazz Rounds on them, but I plan to put TI Jazz Flats on the '73 4001.

I also had a 1969 Sunn Sorado cabinet with Eminence Delta 15A drivers in it, that got powered by either the WW am or a Mesa/Boogie DC-2 head out of my Mesa Caliper combo amp.
Oldworldman

Post by Oldworldman »

Loving it Jeffery! I have two Sc-40's really, but I swapped the Sc-40 I had on the treble side with the Sansamp because I got more distortion out of it. Now that you have opened the door to other Preamps and setups, the setup I described is the only one I use for RICs. It works best. I have a Furman PQ-6 and I am sure you know it is a PQ3 on steroids, and I use that setup for my WAL bass and my Steinberger and that is coupled with a Gallien Krueger 400RB. And this amp works best with those basses. My Fender Jazz setup uses the ampeg stack with a Trace Elliott Quattravalve tube amp and a Sansamp RBI. This is a really powerful setup! Tube Amps just rumble the walls! Live I use a speaker simulator a Palmer PDI05 and a ADL500G Stereo tube direct box with this setup.

Thanks for sharing your gear setup Jefferey, it sounds awesome. I would really like to try a different RIC setup such as a Sunn 2000S and matching cabinet 2X15 housing two JBL 140 speakers. Blended with the Ampeg stack setup. :wink:
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

When I first started playing bass in the winter of '71 I would get together with some friends to jam, improving my playing very quickly. I did not own an amp yet, just my Jazz Bass, but one of the guitarists had a Marshall 1987 with 4-12 cabinet and a Sunn 2000S with matching 2-15 JBL cabinet! I absolute loved playing through it. :D

Thanks to those jams I got sidetracked from typical rock and roll; there would be guys down there with clarinets, flutes, sax, sitar, stuff like that and I was introduced to bands like Atomic Rooster, King Crimson, Pink Floyd, The Nice, and it transformed me, musically. I was previously learning songs from Grand Funk Railroad, Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin and Deep Purple.

I remember the PQ-6 as being the 2 channel version of the black face PQ-3, which I also owned more recently (our drummer has it now in his project studio). I know a guy who owns a video production company that has a PQ-6.
Oldworldman

Post by Oldworldman »

Yeah I scored the PQ6 out in California off of Craigslist for nearly nothing. THe guy had it and I guess did not know what it was. 150 bucks and it was mine!

I did not know what I was getting into when I got it, but I have no regrets. It had what I was looking for and worked well with active basses with the built in Preamps in the guitar itself.

I did not find these basses to work well with anything else.
Yes I want a 2000S!

And I heard the JBL 15" K140 speakers in that cabinet are killer.

:o
Attachments
27024_1396664647260_1551559508_31002821_5401479_n.jpg
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Oldworldman wrote:Yeah I scored the PQ6 out in California off of Craigslist for nearly nothing. THe guy had it and I guess did not know what it was. 150 bucks and it was mine!
So i won't tell you that the blackface PQ-3 cost me only $25! :mrgreen:
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

Welcome, Todd! :)
It's great to see a 4080 in action! :D
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca
Oldworldman

Post by Oldworldman »

Thanks Gary! When I can shoot better Quality video of it, I will definitely share more. I cannot wait to crack into my recently acquired 4080/6 after I set it up properly! This was a gift from my wife for my Birthday. Look below, isn't she pretty?

:D
Attachments
IMG_7474.JPG
SloRider

Post by SloRider »

Holy **** dude, that is some nice vintage synth gear. How much Oberheim is in that pic??
s4001

Post by s4001 »

Well done! this Rush head approves!
Oldworldman

Post by Oldworldman »

There is an OB-X, an OB-8, An Oberheim DSX sequencer, an Oberheim DMX Drum machine, and the white Beast in the back is the Oberheim 8 voice Polyphonic. Good Eye! We have more vintage gear than what you see in the pic. Our Studio houses over 50 different vintage synthesizers. How else can you get the authentic sound from the 70's and 80's? The software synths do not do it for me. Thank you Scott for listening to our video. :D We are glad to meet your approval.

Return to “My Gig Forum”