Song Order - Advice Please?

Let Us Know About Your Performances Past, Present and Future
Ivan3000
Advanced Member

Re: Song Order - Advice Please?

Post by Ivan3000 »

Alright, apparently it went pretty well, Personally I feel as though I could have done better, but for a first gig it was decent. I received many compliments and I asked each person for constructive criticism. I still need to work on useing the microphone correctly (singing directly into it) the professional band that went after us said we were really good. I messed up "For No one" royally because I screwed up the bass, and then while focused on that, I messed up the vocals, and it was just a crazy circle.
This really cool guy named Jack said we did very well too.
I'm really hopeing they were telling the truth as oppose to just telling us what we wanted to hear. I also need to work on engaging the audience more. I just awkwardly talked a little, but this can all be improved with more experience. Thanks for all the help guys.
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

Cool man. Sorry to say you can't expect much constructive criticism from other bands - they're gonna tell you what you wanna hear.
bartyclue
Intermediate Member

Post by bartyclue »

sloop_john_b wrote:Cool man. Sorry to say you can't expect much constructive criticism from other bands - they're gonna tell you what you wanna hear.
While I agree you wont hear much constructive criticism from other bands (we're just so competitive arent we?).. my experience has usually been.. they say nothing other than "good set man" or nothing at all. Usaully nothing at all means either.. they thought you sucked or they were impressed and just dont want to give you the props that are do. They also may be scared spitless to follow your set. You can usually tell if someone is sincere in their "Good set".. and really you know deep inside wheter it was a good set or not. We have all had clunkers and we all have "killed it". The crowd and their energy, is also a good gauge of how it went. You either got them em up.. or they were curious as to who was making all that noise before getting back to embalming bodies...
Ivan3000
Advanced Member

Post by Ivan3000 »

Okay here is a video: I'm well aware that I royally mess up the lyrics, I was young when I first heard these songs, and the wrongs ones just kind of stuck. I personally feel like I'm a better singer and bassist that this performance. Hopefully some other tunes will show up on youtube over the next couple of days.

Here it is, please be honest, give some constructive criticism, don't be afraid to hurt my feelings. I think I need to improve my overall confidence and I just need to let it flow, don't overthink things to much either.

Also, I give credit to the Graham Alexander for coming up with this arrangement.

Ivan3000
Advanced Member

Post by Ivan3000 »

I'm the one singing and on the Hofner by the way.
beatbyrd
Intermediate Member

Post by beatbyrd »

Hi, Rather than wait for criticism from others (which may hide an agenda), you and the other guys should use any videos or recordings to look for areas that you can improve. You all have eyes and ears. Compare your performance with some band that you aspire to be as good as and then try to gradually improve. Your band looks very young. I think that the key thing for you guys to do is just to practice and play as much as possible. No matter what you do, you'll replay this vid in 5 years, shake your head, and remark at how far you've come since then.....

Then again, if it were MY band, I'd get a lead guitarist or keyboardist, add a female vocalist, work on some vocal harmonies, spread some of the lead vocals around, and work on the stage presence. If I have an agenda, I'm too old to remember what the heck it is. Good luck with your band. Tom
It's a Byrd, it's a playin'..........

'73 4001 MG
'09 360/12 FG
'10 360/6 FG
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

Smile, and have fun playing. :)

If you make a mistake, just laugh it off and keep going; a lot of people won't even notice if you make a mistake.

Periodic eye contact with your band mates is good as well.

It sounds a lot better than my first gig... I have the video!
There is no reason to ever be bored.

...why yes, I suppose I do have a double bound guitar fetish...

"Uh, I like the double bounds. . . ."
JakeK
RRF Consultant

Post by JakeK »

Not bad, Ivan. I liked the "American Woman" portion better than the "American Girl" portion. I'll be fair, Petty's songs are NOT easy, I still struggle with them, and I play at least one Petty song a day! Add a keyboardist and a lead guitarist, and you're ready to roll. Also, some voice lessons wouldn't hurt, either, you can learn your range and improve your vocal styles. And, when you don't know lyrics (like me with Bob Dylan songs!), have a music stand with the lyrics on it.

You're off to a good start, but don't stop practicing!!
Ivan3000
Advanced Member

Post by Ivan3000 »

Thanks for the advice guys.
How is the singing?
My brother is the lead guitarist, he just played rhythm in this song. He is an excellent guitarist in my opinion, very John Mayer influenced.
Hopefully some other songs will pop up so I can see them as well.
Ivan3000
Advanced Member

Post by Ivan3000 »

paologregorio wrote:It sounds a lot better than my first gig... I have the video!
Let's see it!
Ivan3000
Advanced Member

Post by Ivan3000 »

Photo:
Ivan3000
Advanced Member

Post by Ivan3000 »

Me on Bass, Shane on Drums, My Brother Damian on Guitar.
The guy announcing is Jack, he is part of the art center commitee. He is really cool, one of the nicest guy you will ever meet. He also play harmonica extremely well!
tmossman

Post by tmossman »

JakeK wrote:...And, when you don't know lyrics (like me with Bob Dylan songs!), have a music stand with the lyrics on it...
:shock: Never, never, never use a stand to hold lyrics or any sort of cheat sheet. Learn the song.
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

tmossman wrote:
JakeK wrote:...And, when you don't know lyrics (like me with Bob Dylan songs!), have a music stand with the lyrics on it...
:shock: Never, never, never use a stand to hold lyrics or any sort of cheat sheet. Learn the song.
THANK YOU
blueflamerick
Advanced Member

Post by blueflamerick »

tmossman wrote: :shock: Never, never, never use a stand to hold lyrics or any sort of cheat sheet. Learn the song.

I agree. If you absolutely need a cheat sheet, tape it to the floor or a stage monitor. Using a music stand makes you look like a hack.

Return to “My Gig Forum”