Song Order - Advice Please?

Let Us Know About Your Performances Past, Present and Future
Ivan3000
Advanced Member

Re: Song Order - Advice Please?

Post by Ivan3000 »

Also the lyric discussion reminded me of something. We had extra time at the end so we just pulled out Johnny B. Goode and had fun with it. Anyway, my friend Julian wanted me to sing that for the talent show at school (I was doing bass and backups) if we had extra time, I didn't know the lyrics, so I had them taped to the side of my Hofner. Just figured I'd share another place to put lyrics.
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

IvanMunoz wrote:Also the lyric discussion reminded me of something. We had extra time at the end so we just pulled out Johnny B. Goode and had fun with it. Anyway, my friend Julian wanted me to sing that for the talent show at school (I was doing bass and backups) if we had extra time, I didn't know the lyrics, so I had them taped to the side of my Hofner. Just figured I'd share another place to put lyrics.
Yup! Been there before! Anything but a music stand. :D

I only listened to the clip very quickly Ivan but I thought your voice sounded very good. I notice that you throw in lots of McCartney-esque mannerisms and inflections, which isn't so bad, but try not to be a copycat. I'd like to hear you sing a bit more naturally. You'll probably get more power out of your voice that way too.

I thought the outfits were a bit silly but I have certainly been there meself. :D
beatbyrd
Intermediate Member

Post by beatbyrd »

blueflamerick wrote:
tmossman wrote: :shock: Never, never, never use a stand to hold lyrics or any sort of cheat sheet. Learn the song.
I agree. If you absolutely need a cheat sheet, tape it to the floor or a stage monitor. Using a music stand makes you look like a hack.
A few weeks ago, I saw Susanna Hoffs at a very small show (150 people?) and she had an IPad on a stand and was reading lyrics from it. They were mostly songs from an upcoming new CD, so she hadn't learned them yet, apparently. I thought it was interesting.
In my band days, the keyboards were usually where we put cheat sheets. Music stands were for high school orchestras and big bands, as far as we were concerned. Too much of a Lawrence Welk factor for a rock/pop group.
It's a Byrd, it's a playin'..........

'73 4001 MG
'09 360/12 FG
'10 360/6 FG
Ivan3000
Advanced Member

Post by Ivan3000 »

sloop_john_b wrote:
IvanMunoz wrote:Also the lyric discussion reminded me of something. We had extra time at the end so we just pulled out Johnny B. Goode and had fun with it. Anyway, my friend Julian wanted me to sing that for the talent show at school (I was doing bass and backups) if we had extra time, I didn't know the lyrics, so I had them taped to the side of my Hofner. Just figured I'd share another place to put lyrics.
Yup! Been there before! Anything but a music stand. :D

I only listened to the clip very quickly Ivan but I thought your voice sounded very good. I notice that you throw in lots of McCartney-esque mannerisms and inflections, which isn't so bad, but try not to be a copycat. I'd like to hear you sing a bit more naturally. You'll probably get more power out of your voice that way too.

I thought the outfits were a bit silly but I have certainly been there meself. :D
Yes, I'm very influenced by McCartney and Graham Alexander. When I sing "naturally" my voice sounds really high, which is really good for a lot of songs, I just like to beef it up a bit, and I figure no better way to do so than to imitate the the great Macca, plus, someday I'd like to try my hand at a Beatles cover band.

My brother thought the matching outfits were silly too, I personally love them, and so did Shane (the drummer, he is excellent by the way) I personally feel as though it pulls us together as a group and makes us more tidy and well-kept.
What did you wear for matching outfits?
blueflamerick
Advanced Member

Post by blueflamerick »

I like the video Ivan.

Here's what my band wears when we do matching suits for certain gigs. Completely different genre of music, but hey. http://www.sheplers.com/Ostrich-Print-Y ... rchResults

Have you ever seen this site for Beatles suits? http://www.beatlesuits.com/#ld
Ivan3000
Advanced Member

Post by Ivan3000 »

blueflamerick wrote:I like the video Ivan.

Here's what my band wears when we do matching suits for certain gigs. Completely different genre of music, but hey. http://www.sheplers.com/Ostrich-Print-Y ... rchResults

Have you ever seen this site for Beatles suits? http://www.beatlesuits.com/#ld
I could probably make that black and white one work.

Yes, I LOVE beatlesuits, it is easily one of the coolest sites online, I have an H&M Jacket that slightly resemles a shea jacket.
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

tmossman wrote:
JakeK wrote:...And, when you don't know lyrics (like me with Bob Dylan songs!), have a music stand with the lyrics on it...
:shock: Never, never, never use a stand to hold lyrics or any sort of cheat sheet. Learn the song.
Music stands are one of my pet peeves, too. I've seen quite a few geezer (read Baby Boomer) bands using them, too. I don't care if you're 70, learn the darned song!

One more thing: I like the suits. I wish more bands dressed nicely on stage. Even corporate casual would be better than ratty old jeans, and corporate logo emblazoned T shirts. Are you really there at your gig to sell Budweiser beer? And cargo shorts have to go!
JimK
blueflamerick
Advanced Member

Post by blueflamerick »

I agree Jim. Even when my band doesn't wear the western suits, we're wearing embroidered western shirts and cowboy hats. We'd look like complete fools playing country music in cargo shorts and flip flops.
JakeK
RRF Consultant

Post by JakeK »

blueflamerick wrote:I agree. If you absolutely need a cheat sheet, tape it to the floor or a stage monitor. Using a music stand makes you look like a hack.
I don't play live often, so I don't know. It's little advice like this that helps me, too.

If you're standing, what's the best way for cheat sheets? If you're sitting (like I'll be this weekend), what's the best advice?
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

I'm a fan of wearing suits to gigs as well. :)
Backstage at the Yost..jpg
This was backstage at the Yost in Smiling face down's band room; John Hall said after our band room looked like a recycle bin by the end of the night...oops. :lol:

It must have still come in second place to the Rickenbrothers' band room, because Trotty was there. . . .
Photo courtesy of Trotty, btw. :D
And this past weekend at the Medusa Lounge...
At the Medusa playing the Ruby C63 12 string.jpg
There is no reason to ever be bored.

...why yes, I suppose I do have a double bound guitar fetish...

"Uh, I like the double bounds. . . ."
blueflamerick
Advanced Member

Post by blueflamerick »

JakeK wrote:If you're standing, what's the best way for cheat sheets? If you're sitting (like I'll be this weekend), what's the best advice?
My advice would be the same. Really try to memorize the song first. If you get used to cheat sheets, it'll be hard for you to overcome them. Doing it for a small set of songs is one thing, but when you're playing 4 hour dance hall gigs, they're impossible to use.

If you can't memorize the song or feel like you need a cheat sheet for comfort, place it on the the floor in front of you for both standing and sitting, somewhere where you can see it easily. Tape it down, otherwise the moment you'll need it most is when a breeze flips it over.
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

I agree with all the music stand bashing, but I still have to use them sometimes. I just have one of those math brains and not one of those word brains, so I forget lyrics to songs I play all the time, that I've written myself. But I try to place the stand as flat and low as possible so it's not as much of an eyesore.

I play bass for 7 local singer-songwriters, so I have to read charts for most of them, since I'm only playing with each one maybe once every 2 or 3 months when they have occasional big gigs. No way am I memorizing all that stuff, especially for peanuts.

I recently did a show with my band plus some additional side musicians and had to sing four Steely Dan songs. I didn't bother to learn those lyrics since 1) I just about knew all the words anyways and 2) we were only performing them once. I'll post some video separately.
idealassets

Post by idealassets »

Never, never, never use a stand to hold lyrics or any sort of cheat sheet
My opinion is that a cheat sheet is OK as long as you don't make it look like Karioke singing, such as standing like a statue, and reading everything right off the sheet.

Its the quality of the music that counts. Yes, I know that in the days of the heavy rockers, cheat sheets were an absolute no go, but audiences today are much more tolerant especially if the music presented is solid and good quality.

A second "lead" guitar or keyboards would be nice to add, and you will attract better quality musician if your trio can remain tight with the "bottom".

Craig
2007 Guild F412 Blond
2011 Rickenbacker 360/12 Maple
Ivan3000
Advanced Member

Post by Ivan3000 »

Here is a photo of myself with my beloved Hofner.

Return to “My Gig Forum”