Is anyone an ASCAP member?

Let Us Know About Your Performances Past, Present and Future
idealassets

Is anyone an ASCAP member?

Post by idealassets »

I would like to ask, since I have paid the $35 to join ASCAP in order to begin publishing/ copywriting original songs: What can you expect after applying? The ASCAP site stated it would take "15 days" for a response. After waiting a long time I am now thinking its perhaps 15 "business days". Additionally a few weeks before "joining", I emailed a question with the "ASK A QUESTION" form, and haven't heard anything back from that either.

Is there anyone having experience with ASCAP that can enlighten me about how all this works? Normally after paying $35 you would at least expect to get a standard email response. "Hello is anyone in there..."

Thank you,
Craig
2007 Guild F412 Blond
2011 Rickenbacker 360/12 Maple
jps
RRF Consultant

Re: Is anyone an ASCAP member?

Post by jps »

idealassets wrote:I would like to ask, since I have paid the $35 to join ASCAP in order to begin publishing/ copywriting original songs: What can you expect after applying? The ASCAP site stated it would take "15 days" for a response. After waiting a long time I am now thinking its perhaps 15 "business days". Additionally a few weeks before "joining", I emailed a question with the "ASK A QUESTION" form, and haven't heard anything back from that either.

Is there anyone having experience with ASCAP that can enlighten me about how all this works? Normally after paying $35 you would at least expect to get a standard email response. "Hello is anyone in there..."

Thank you,
Craig
Unless you are in the top 1% of gross revenues I think this is about all the response you should ever expect from these types of organizations. :?
johnhall
RIC

Post by johnhall »

Not the first time I've heard that type of story, which is precisely why I've been with BMI for years. For free.
rikk
Intermediate Member

Post by rikk »

BMI
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

BMI here as well.
cassius987

Post by cassius987 »

Also BMI...
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Maybe he meant ASPCA?
idealassets

Post by idealassets »

Not the first time I've heard that type of story, which is precisely why I've been with BMI for years. For free
I appreciate the comments. I wanted to ask around before demanding a refund from my credit card company. On the ASCAP site its all set up to join with easy directions, as though its done every day. But apparently not, since the results don't really follow along to what is posted by ASCAP online. It certainly sounds as though BMI is the one to join. Some of the artists with BMI are definately not minor league as well.

I believe that tomorrow I will go through the effort to get my $35 back from ASCAP.
Maybe he meant ASPCA?
Definately not, I was asking an actual and for real question. In almost every case I have gotten some really helpful information here on the Ric forum. Don't you all just love it?!

Thank you,
Craig
2007 Guild F412 Blond
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

johnhall wrote:Not the first time I've heard that type of story, which is precisely why I've been with BMI for years. For free.
Yup. BMI here too, since '99
JimK
idealassets

Post by idealassets »

BMI here too
OK, I applied to BMI tonight, and will hear back from them in 5-7 days. It probably would have the approach to take to begin with.

Thanks much,
Craig
2007 Guild F412 Blond
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

idealassets wrote:
Maybe he meant ASPCA?
Definately not, I was asking an actual and for real question. In almost every case I have gotten some really helpful information here on the Ric forum. Don't you all just love it?!
Don't mind Jeff, he's just padding his post count.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

sloop_john_b wrote:
idealassets wrote:
Maybe he meant ASPCA?
Don't mind Jeff, he's just padding his post count.
Nah, I just borrowed some of TC's drugs to try out!
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

Jeff? Pad his post count???
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

BMI here too..
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
johnhall
RIC

Post by johnhall »

ASCAP and BMI have different ways of collecting money on behalf of their clients, each valid ways of doing business. For example, my opinion is that BMI has been more progressive using electronic technology to scan content streams while ASCAP has been aggressive at the pub, tavern, and club level to collect fees.

Roger McGuinn has an interesting approach to this. For some years he's listed his wife Camilla as co-writer on his music. He's a member of BMI and she is of ASCAP (or maybe other way 'round, don't remember). Anyway, the concept here is to collect from both sides of the fence and also have a basis for comparison. It also probably is a basis for him to complain when there's a large discrepancy. Unfortunately, it doesn't work on your own, as you can't join both.

I will say that BMI seems to be very songwriter friendly. I once observed some mass piracy going on in Saint Lucia. Quite literally, when the sailing yacht pulled into a harbor where there was a phone, I called BMI in New York and by the time we sailed back to home port, there was a message waiting from the Minister of Saint Lucia responsible for such things, who wanted to discuss their efforts to legitimize the venues I mentioned and get them paying proper fees to PRS (which represents BMI in some Caribbean countries). I was very impressed how quickly BMI worked and I understand they threatened to pull some strings with BMI artists who were scheduled to play at the Saint Lucia Jazz Festival in order to send a message.
ajish4
RRF Moderator

Post by ajish4 »

jps wrote: Nah, I just borrowed some of TC's drugs to try out!
Did the 70's end yet? 8) :wink:

Return to “My Gig Forum”