1974 360

Rolling the Finest in Digital Movies
Rickygirl

1974 360

Post by Rickygirl »

Ok, this is brave of me.

First time we played this song in public. It seemed to go well at the time but.......

Can you tell how scared I was!! :shock:

Weirdly, the sound engineer turned my treble down and it didn't sound much like my guitar after that - too bassy. He said we were too trebly and it was a room that made everything sound extra trebly. We wish we had been nice but firm, but he is supposed to know after all, so we bowed to his superiority.

I LOVE this guitar SO much. It usually sounds fantastic (well I think so).

I<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ikWf-V9c_3k&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ikWf-V9c_3k&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>[/youtube]
"You can't separate Sarah from her RickenBACKers"

http://www.myspace.com/transientfew
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Re: 1974 360

Post by kiramdear »

That's a sweet song, Sarah, and your 360 sounds good on my speakers, not too bassy at all. The whole mix is well balanced, too. Well done!

Did you combine a board mix with the video track, or is that the camera's sound? I'm guessing the former, as it sounds really great. 8)
All I wanna do is rock!
Rickygirl

Post by Rickygirl »

Thanks Kira. That is very kind of you.

It was straight from the two video cameras. Everything was supposed to be miked up and then run through the mixing desk, but we didn't realise that the sound guy had not run the guitars through, though he had miked up our amps. We were annoyed as we specifically said we had times where one guitar needed to come up, for picking and the other down etc. We couldn't understand why the guitar sounds were so off balance in some of the songs.There was a lead into the board, but it distorted everything, so this is just the camera microphones. This song sounded ok, but in others my rythmn was too loud and Bev couldn't hear herself. Never mind. All good experience and we need lots of that.

I can't judge our songs anymore, they are all so familiar.

paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

Sounds good to me. :D
Scastles

Post by Scastles »

Found the song to be fine! Nice job! You didn't sound overtly nervous or scared.
I suppose some folks, who aren't used to what a Rick sounds like, may attempt to alter their sound. It didn't come across with too much bass, at least not on my cheapy computer speakers. And normally they make everything sound distorted or they accentuate the bass.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Music is too important to be left to professionals.
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

The Transient Few on video...........how cool is that! Thanks for sharing Sarah. :D
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
ozover50
RRF Consultant

Post by ozover50 »

Me likey!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Great job, Sarah.... and the Rick does shine through!! :D
"Never eat more than you can lift." - Mr. Moon
leftyguitars
Advanced Member

Post by leftyguitars »

Sarah, the sound guy was correct in that he has to mix the sound for the venue/audience rather than the recording. I have found that very often a live recording either direct from the desk or via camera mics sounds badly mixed whereas the live sound in the actual venue was great. If you want a live recording to sound good you need to take a direct out from every channel on the desk to a 12/24/36 (or whatever) channel recorder and remix it in a studio.
"If only quilted maple grew on trees!"
http://www.leftyguitars.co.uk
Rickygirl

Post by Rickygirl »

leftyguitars wrote:Sarah, the sound guy was correct in that he has to mix the sound for the venue/audience rather than the recording. I have found that very often a live recording either direct from the desk or via camera mics sounds badly mixed whereas the live sound in the actual venue was great. If you want a live recording to sound good you need to take a direct out from every channel on the desk to a 12/24/36 (or whatever) channel recorder and remix it in a studio.
Ah, thanks Peter. That is good to know.

We were only dispppointed that he didn't run the guitars through, so he couldn't change the mix when one of us was picking, especially as I phoned him two days before to ask him and explain why it would be helpful. One of the songs especially, my guitar was overpowering Bev's picking and she couldn't hear her guitar as mine was too loud.

Anyway, I am not intending to moan about the sound man and they all do a great job. Didn't mean this to turn into a whine.....

jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Rickygirl wrote:One of the songs especially, my guitar was overpowering Bev's picking and she couldn't hear her guitar as mine was too loud.
Perhaps the two of you could get volume pedals and control the relationship between the two guitars that way?
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Post by kiramdear »

I'm inclined to agree, Jeff. There's something to be said for reducing the group's dependence on the sound guy, unless he's an integral member. I think it's wise to try to perfect the balance yourselves and keep the engineer in a role of passively collecting your sound. Just my two cents. :)
All I wanna do is rock!
leftyguitars
Advanced Member

Post by leftyguitars »

There's something to be said for reducing the group's dependence on the sound guy, unless he's an integral member. I think it's wise to try to perfect the balance yourselves and keep the engineer in a role of passively collecting your sound. Just my two cents.
I agree totally. I have bands who I manage and engineer for full time, I am treated as a member of the band and I know every song/arrangement, I lift for solos and blend as required/expected. Then there are other bands who I haven't heard before. I still give 100% but it may not have quite the same tight edge to it.
"If only quilted maple grew on trees!"
http://www.leftyguitars.co.uk
Rickygirl

Post by Rickygirl »

jps wrote:
Rickygirl wrote:One of the songs especially, my guitar was overpowering Bev's picking and she couldn't hear her guitar as mine was too loud.
Perhaps the two of you could get volume pedals and control the relationship between the two guitars that way?
That is very, very interesting...I had tried for ages to get a pedal so I can change the volume myself, but was told that there isn't one for my amp. I have a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (white lightning) and it has a footswitch to change channels, as no doubt everyone knows, but couldn't find a volume only switch. I have asked around and looked on the internet, but maybe I wasn't looking for the right thing/in the right place. My local music shop told me that there wasn't such a thing. I would LOVE to find one of those. Any ideas?

Thanks so much, maybe someone can help me. It is exactly what I need!!

Rickygirl

Post by Rickygirl »

Sorry, I also meant to say....

Thanks for all the nice comments everyone. :D

I wrote that song about two and a half years ago and was very proud of it as I had only been playing about 6 months. I am glad we have at last managed to get it out in the open.

We have a version of Fleetwood Mac's Dreams on Youtube and I will load a couple of others up too. I didn't load Dreams on here as I don't want to get in trouble with Kira or Brian!! I am playing my 381/12 in that.

Bev sounds just like Stevie Nicks (did I spell that right!!).

Actually, I might put Dreams on the myspace...

longhouse
Advanced Member

Post by longhouse »

Wonderful! The mix is great. Having cringed at so many feedback-heavy live clips, yours sounds great. I love when the song takes off too. Brilliant job.
I watched 'Dreams' too. The Rickenbacker isn't overpowering -but it certainly shines through!

:)

Return to “Videos by RRF Members”