4003 in the studio

Rolling the Finest in Digital Movies
hieronymous
Intermediate Member

4003 in the studio

Post by hieronymous »

A few months ago I headed back to Massachusetts to my favorite studio - Oxbow Studios in Marlborough. This time I took my video camera for fun. One of the things I managed to capture was my special '04 4003 JGBT in action with a pick, through an Alembic F-2B preamp and dbx 162 stereo compressor, which you can see compressing in the rack in the background. I think this video captures my pick technique pretty well - I tend to pick between the two pickups.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ggaY3IGaJEo&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ggaY3IGaJEo&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

At the very beginning is just the soundtrack from the video camera - it's picking up both the studio monitors and the acoustic sound of the bass and the string rattle. Then I add in the sound that was recorded into ProTools, then take out the video sound. Part of me thinks maybe I should have just used the direct sound, but I'm often fascinated with the sound that the video camera picks up - it's more like the sound when I practice at home without an amp. It may even sound better through computer speakers, but on headphones or through good speakers the direct sounds much deeper and fuller.

Make sure you check out the end - "listen to the sustain"... 8)
beatlefreak

Re: 4003 in the studio

Post by beatlefreak »

I like the mix of the two.
Ka is a wheel.
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Post by kiramdear »

beatlefreak wrote:I like the mix of the two.
Yeah, me, too. 8)
All I wanna do is rock!
hieronymous
Intermediate Member

Post by hieronymous »

Thanks - I probably shouldn't have even done that and just used the direct signal! I just think it's interesting to hear the acoustic sound of the instrument since that's what I'm most used to hearing, since I usually practice without an amp - which isn't necessarily a good thing since you can't hear how the electronics are sounding.

Next time I think I might put the bass signal through my Alembic SF-2 Super Filter to bring out a little more of the sparkle. I think I have an 8-string track that is usable on the tape...

Return to “Videos by RRF Members”