ricmic

Re: Rush Hemispheres prelude

Post by ricmic »

Great stuff Bro, thanks for sharing. Mark
steverok
Intermediate Member

Post by steverok »

This is badass. I often don't care to listen to people's attempts at Rush, but I enjoyed this one alot.
RickenTom

Post by RickenTom »

That was beautiful. !!!!!
Jasper

Post by Jasper »

Great tone and great playing!
mad_phingers

Post by mad_phingers »

Awesome video, you have inspired me to do some woodshedding on this song. Very challenging :evil: but rewarding :D
mad_phingers

Post by mad_phingers »

Could you please tell me how you recorded this video? Amp/mic, direct, etc?
FretlessOnly
Advanced Member

Post by FretlessOnly »

Thomas: Late to the party, but you nailed that in all aspects of what "nail" could mean. Great tone, great technique, freaking A+. I have great memories of 1978 in my bedroom listening to Rush, Yes, ELP, and the Beatles with the mood lights on and just being at that age where the music world is an oyster. Thanks for bringing me back there.
Can we have everything louder than everything else?

Post by 2112 »

mad_phingers wrote:Could you please tell me how you recorded this video? Amp/mic, direct, etc?
First of all, thank you to everyone that watched. I'm glad you liked the vid.

As to Jake, I recorded the bass from the post EQ outs on the GK MBE III combos that I'm using and then into a Samson Mixpad 9. I pan the neck to the left and the bridge to the right. Because my camcorder dosen't have audio imputs, I need to send the audio signal into a VCR and the video comes straight from the camcorder. The VHS tape is copied to a DVD.
That's it in a nutshell.

Here, this is my latest video. I cover Freewill. Sorry, but like the original version, it's with a Fender Jazz bass BUT here's the thing, I recorded it with my STEREO WIRED Geddy Lee Fender Jazz Bass. It's like my Ricks now with the true stereo output.
If Fender ever made stereo a standard output option, then Rickenbacker's competition from Fender would have even been more hairy!

Anyway...enough of that. Here's Freewill:
http://www.youtube.com/v/DC8Ght20i7I?fs=1&hl=en_US
FretlessOnly
Advanced Member

Post by FretlessOnly »

Well now I'm just spoiled. Two nights in a row and I get a fresh tune. Spot on again, Sir. What's tomorrow night, La VIlla Strangiato? :wink:

I never knew the original was an early use of his Jazz. That's a sharp looking bass and it's cool that you've been able to wire it for stereo.

Does your A string have that Fender trademark vibration if you play it open loudly (because there's no string tree for it)? Both my '97 CIJ Jazz FL and '76 P FL do, although the Jazz has less of it.
Can we have everything louder than everything else?
TommySixGun

Post by TommySixGun »

Outstanding job! There's only one way to get that sound for sure.

Tommy
1996 360/6 Mapleglo
1989 Kramer Nightswan
1987 Kramer Baretta
1986 Kramer Stagemaster
1979 Fender Stratocaster
bartyclue
Intermediate Member

Post by bartyclue »

That was indeed killer. I love playing (or attemting to play) Geddy's music. He (and all of Rush) is one of my country's national treasures. Awesome Job!

Post by 2112 »

FretlessOnly wrote:Does your A string have that Fender trademark vibration if you play it open loudly (because there's no string tree for it)? Both my '97 CIJ Jazz FL and '76 P FL do, although the Jazz has less of it.
Sorry, I'm late here.
No, it dosen't have that vibration or at least i'm not hearing it. I do have a slight buzz but that's different.
If I play the open string and press down on it in back of the nut there is really no difference in 'sound', (except that the pitch of the note is slightly higher due to my pressing down on it) so I'd say that i don't seem to have that 'vibration'.

Thanks John, Tommy and Brian.

Return to “Videos by RRF Members”