One, Two, Three, Four ...

Learning McCartney's bass lines
admin
Site Admin

Re: One, Two, Three, Four ...

Post by admin »

Thanks for the information regarding other Bealte songs with bass chords Francesco and John. I also see some similarity between the bass lines in I Saw Here Standing There and Nowhere Man with the latter making good used of descending as well as ascending runs.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
iamthebassman
Veteran RRF member

Post by iamthebassman »

When we first added "Nowhere Man"(jeez, in 1994) I was a bit worried about singing and playing it but it turns out to be pretty easy to play it while singing, just dont think about the bass part at all and concentrate on the lyrics.
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" Austin Music Poll 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010
DavyR

Post by DavyR »

soundmasterg wrote:This is a welcome and awesome addition to this forum. I've always loved to see your Beatles bass videos Francisco...keep 'em coming! I wish I had that Hofner bass that you have! I've got a 1963 Harmony H22 that gets a similar sound and is fun and easy to play. Looking forward to more videos.....greg
I too have a '66 H22. It's a bit dead on the low E above the 3rd fret. Of course, it's got an old set of flats on it possibly from '66!!! LOL! So, I guess need to change them. What strings do you use on yours, what gauge and any neck issues with certian sets or gauges, etc.? Thanks!
ilan
RRF Consultant

Post by ilan »

I Want To Hold Your Hand also has double-stops in the C part, from "And when I touch you"...
"A Noble Instrument Must Be Nobly Regarded"
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Yes, now that you mention it, Ilan I recall this. It is interesting how similar bass lines can be used in different songs and that it may go unrecognized until one is required to learn the part or subject it to scrutiny.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
nukebass
Veteran RRF member

Post by nukebass »

This video is BAD!!!!!... for me ;) It only makes me want a Hofner bass more than I did before and I told myself I wouldn't ever get one. I love the sound of the Hofner through the tube amp.

There were chords in "And I Love Her," too. I think the A note in "If I Needed Someone" may have been doubled with an octave, kind of like the bass note in the next to last measure of "And Your Bird Can Sing." Do those count?

Since McCartney is the reason I play bass, I'm really looking forward to this forum, too. It's a great idea and will be fun to discuss different interpretations and ideas when it comes to the basslines. Will this forum be primarily video/lessons or is it open to general discussion of the styles?
rickinroma
RRF Consultant

Post by rickinroma »

Ryan,
I am not pretending to give any lesson :)

Therefore, other than a demonstration of how a song can be played, the discussion is open to any aspect of Paul bass playing style :)
rickinroma
RRF Consultant

Post by rickinroma »

Merry Rickmas
Attachments
MerryRickmas.JPG
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Merry Rickmas to you, too, Fancesco! :D
soundmasterg
RRF Consultant

Post by soundmasterg »

DavyR wrote:
soundmasterg wrote:This is a welcome and awesome addition to this forum. I've always loved to see your Beatles bass videos Francisco...keep 'em coming! I wish I had that Hofner bass that you have! I've got a 1963 Harmony H22 that gets a similar sound and is fun and easy to play. Looking forward to more videos.....greg
I too have a '66 H22. It's a bit dead on the low E above the 3rd fret. Of course, it's got an old set of flats on it possibly from '66!!! LOL! So, I guess need to change them. What strings do you use on yours, what gauge and any neck issues with certian sets or gauges, etc.? Thanks!
I use a set of TI's, not sure on the gauge as I got them from a local store that I always go to. I haven't had any neck issues, though I did have that shop pin the bridge for me. The biggest problem that I have with this bass is that it feeds back out of control at stage volumes. A friend at the local blues jam has an H22 also and his does not feed back at all at the same volume, though his is slightly heavier so perhaps that could be why.

Greg
ricmic

Post by ricmic »

Francesco, merry christmas and happy new year. Quick question if I might. What year is your V63fg? Mark
rickinroma
RRF Consultant

Post by rickinroma »

Mark
My fireglo 4001V63 was produced in May 1997
Happy New Year :)
DavyR

Post by DavyR »

soundmasterg wrote:
DavyR wrote:
I use a set of TI's, not sure on the gauge as I got them from a local store that I always go to. I haven't had any neck issues, though I did have that shop pin the bridge for me. The biggest problem that I have with this bass is that it feeds back out of control at stage volumes. A friend at the local blues jam has an H22 also and his does not feed back at all at the same volume, though his is slightly heavier so perhaps that could be why.
Greg
The H22 pickup might be the feedback problem for I understand it's microphonic. Don't know why your friend's H22 does not feedback. Room acoustics and/or amp? I've seen players stuff black foam into the f-holes of hollow body basses to stop the body contibution to the feedback. It works and you can't see it. TI strings are low tension so your neck should be good. BTW, the Harmony H22 bass takes standard long scale strings even though it's a short scale neck. Reason is that the anchor for the ball end of the strings sets way back at the edge of the body of the bass thereby adding about 4 more inches to the total string length. Short scale strings are too short for this short scale bass!
ricmic

Post by ricmic »

Thank you Francesco for the reply. Beauty Bass, I have a 99 just like it. I am so looking forward to your next offering. Thanks again, Mark
lennon211
Intermediate Member

Post by lennon211 »

Please keep the videos coming. I received a new Hofner Contemporary series bass for Christmas and that has drawn me away from most of my other playing for the time being. It's a lot of fun to have such a new and different instrument in my collection that inspires me to learn all new things that I hand't challenged myself with before and seeing a video like this helps much.

Return to “Paul McCartney's Bass Style: by Francesco Fai”