Eight Miles High beginning guitar solo...

Those who flock to The Byrds
prjacobs

Re: Eight Miles High beginning guitar solo...

Post by prjacobs »

Hey.... Can we talk about the song! It's the same chorus, (or verse?), repeating forever with instrumental breaks at the beginning, in the middle and at the end. There's no bridge... How cool is that! And the vocals, at first parallel and the contrary. These guys had ears, chops and brains :) .
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

....and also very solid backgrounds in folk music. The structure of the song is very folk-like; AAA, like the old British broadside ballads.
JimK
prjacobs

Post by prjacobs »

jimk wrote:....and also very solid backgrounds in folk music. The structure of the song is very folk-like; AAA, like the old British broadside ballads.
JimK
Exactly, Jim... By the way, it looks like you stole the head stock from my guitar :) .
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

prjacobs wrote:By the way, it looks like you stole the head stock from my guitar :) .
Is yours missing? :lol:
vynesmusic

Post by vynesmusic »

Well.....again...this has been posted.....EMH is jazz....McGuinn said in an article that he was thinking of sax-master John Coltrane when he played that great solo...

I tried to keep that in mind when I recorded my version in Studio Z....Jazz is barely a controlled medium... :roll:

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=9176979

All instruments and vocals my meself----real drums
"All these things will be lost in time....like....tears....in rain...."----Roy Batty, Bladerunner
Clifton

Post by Clifton »

Folkie wrote:Absolutely! Check out Roger's DVD "The 12-String Guitar of Roger McGuinn." The DVD includes an instruction book with the solo notated in tablature. The whole package is something like $30 and worth every penny, IMHO! 8)
I love the DVD and the music that accompanies it. HOWEVER, it drives me nuts that he tunes down a half-step in the video. I was hoping to play along with it to learn the songs better. I'm really surprised the producers of the DVD didn't insist he use standard tuning. Who's going to tune a Rick 12 down a half step and go through all the tuning/intonation hassles? Not me!

I really love David Crosby's rhythm guitar on this track. Helps to bring the whole song together. Great energy.
kennyhowes
Veteran RRF member

Post by kennyhowes »

jimk wrote:I don't know if there is a way to "get it right" whatever that means. I play it. But after the opening India riff I just go off on my own.

Thanks for posting this.
JimK
+1, but I shall dig into this. Thanks!!!

Return to “Byrds' Forum: by James Krause”