She Don't Care About Time New Video

Those who flock to The Byrds
jimk
RRF Consultant

She Don't Care About Time New Video

Post by jimk »

No, I didn't have anything to do with this. Just taking the liberty of passing it on. Enjoy.

JimK
Folkie
Advanced Member

Re: She Don't Care About Time New Video

Post by Folkie »

Nice work, all around! Thanks for sharing, Jim! 8)
Byrdfan1948

Post by Byrdfan1948 »

Wow Jim, I just joined this forum an noticed this posting. I'm the old guy playing the 360/12 here and my daughter and husband were our actors. Sort of cool seeing this posted I had no idea someone actually enjoyed this......... Kinda like hearing your record being played on the radio many years ago!! :-)) Al D'Addario
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

Byrdfan1948 wrote:Wow Jim, I just joined this forum an noticed this posting. I'm the old guy playing the 360/12 here and my daughter and husband were our actors. Sort of cool seeing this posted I had no idea someone actually enjoyed this......... Kinda like hearing your record being played on the radio many years ago!! :-)) Al D'Addario
8)
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca
Folkie
Advanced Member

Post by Folkie »

Nice work, Al! I just watched this a second time, and the guitar tones and vocal harmonies are first rate. What strings do you use on the 360/12? Sound like TI flats to me! (Although your last name would suggest otherwise! :lol:) Is that a JangleBox I hear, and, if so, how do you have it dialed?
Byrdfan1948

Post by Byrdfan1948 »

Hey Jim, Many thanks! I am still stunned that anyone watched this video, and then actually posted it here.

I typically do use D'Addario's on most of my guitars :-). In this case however, they were Curt Mangan rock and roll strings, PORTCM12NW 1042. I got them at The Pick of the Ricks. To be honest I really don't think the strings make as much difference as a few other things do. But they are NOT flats as you speculated.

Yes I was using my original Jangle Box set to bright, with the knobs both set at about 12 oclock. The rest of the sound really comes from EQing and a little reverb.

I use Pro Tools to do my recording. Once I got the basic track recorded I then played with one of my EQ plug ins as I listened to the track until I got close to the sound I was looking for. I wish I could be more specific for you on this, but I find for me that is more a process of trial and error each track. I'd say however in my limited experience that proper EQing is at least as important as any compressor, or set of strings you use.

Here's another tune I did a few years ago where I was using D'Addario strings, my Jangle Box, set as I mentioned above, but with just a slightly different EQ setting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaaMBD2ClEs

As far as the harmonies for our version of SDCAT, Joe on the bass, is doing most of the high vocals you hear. He is amazing on both guitar, as well as the harmonies, in any tune we do. Karl from this Ric forum with the LERM in this one is not too shabby either!! Thankfully David, who, does a better Roger McGuinn than Roger does, agreed to do the drums on this one, or there would have been no place for me!! :-). Actually that worked out great, because his drum work here to me was outstanding.

It was a fun project to do, and most of it was done swapping files coast to coast. This was the first video I edited like this, using green screens etc, so figuring out how to drop us all into the scenes was lots of fun too. Hopefully I can get these guys to agree to do another one at some point. Meanwhile I do need to work on my lip syncing!!! :-)

All the best, Al
drumbob
RRF Consultant

Post by drumbob »

We're doing that song, one of my many Byrds' favorites, in my band now, and as expected, nobody knows what it is, so I have to do a little explanation before we play it. I almost have the solo nailed, but it's taken a lot of practice. Bach is not my musical forte. We also resurrected "So You Want To Be A Rock 'n Roll Star," and that's sounding good too.
Byrdfan1948

Post by Byrdfan1948 »

Hey Drumbob, I haven't visited this site in over a year and was surprised to see you had recently posted this video of SDCAT we did a few years ago......... Cool.......... You mention how you need to do a little explanation each time you play this. I totally understand where your coming from. It's been a while since I've played this out at a gig but anytime I did I found a little explanation was needed as well. To me the biggest surprise for the audience was learning this was the "B" side of Turn Turn Turn. Well for those old enough to know what a "B" side was anyway. How this Gene Clark masterpiece was left off of the TTT LP back then in favor of some other tunes just stuns me. Certainly if they couldn't find room on TTT, they could of on 5D...... All The Best, Al

Return to “Byrds' Forum: by James Krause”