Keeping our 12-strings at concert pitch

Those who flock to The Byrds
kvalois

Keeping our 12-strings at concert pitch

Post by kvalois »

Hi, everyone:

Well, it happened again today!!! I will be playing live for 300 people later this afternoon. So, to make my Roger McGuinn 370-12 sound better, I TRIED to tune up to concert pitch. BUT, OF COURSE, THE HIGH "G" STING SNAPPED!!!! have been told for years that to reduce tension on the neck, it is best to always tune it 1/2 step down-- then, just put a capo on it!!!!

Yesterday, in rehearsal, when I did use a capo-- everything sounded like ****!!!! Lately, with different capos, when I play the normal, easy chords, I can hear that several strings are "off." The killer was when I played the opening riff to Tom Petty's "Free Fallin'." It sounded so sharp-- so bad!!!!!

So, that's why I tried to tune up normally.

I would like to pick your collective brains. Should I leave my 12-string at concert pitch???? Is there a capo out there that is outstanding, that will actually give you a "D" chord when you play it????

Thanks,

Karl :D
Ashgray
Intermediate Member

Re: Keeping our 12-strings at concert pitch

Post by Ashgray »

Hi Karl

There should be no design reason why a fine and reputable instrument like a Rick can't be tuned to concert pitch - they were designed to do so.

I'm a bass player, not a guitarist, but I do use a Rick 4003 8-stringer and the same principles hold, so I do have a couple of thoughts - have you checked the top nut, bridge saddles and frets, just in case there's a rough edge that's causing the constant string breaks? Is the action on your high G just a little higher than the rest, causing it to perhaps take more of the pick's force and energy?

Ash
1976 4001 "Shadow" Fretless
1978 4002 Walnut
1986 4008 Silver
1999 4001 V63 White
2012 4004 Jetglo

Button 6 String Fretfull
Button 6 String Fretless
NS CR5 Omni Bass Fretless
Ashbory Bass
kvalois

Post by kvalois »

HI, Ashley:

Thanks for your reply!! I just came back from my local luthier, who lives only one mile from my house!!! He doesall of my guitar work for the RM 370-12.

He noticed that the Schaller tuner for the G string was loose. He took it out and saw that there was a ragged edge-- that probably was helping to snap the string!!! He rounded off the edge and put on a new string.

I will now make my concert with my Ric tuned at concert pitch. I won't touch a thing!!! Still, I would like to keep all the strings at normal pitch-- if it didn't cause any additional strain to the neck.

I just wonder what all the other 12-string Rickenbacker players here do!!!!!

Ashgray
Intermediate Member

Post by Ashgray »

Hi Karl

Glad to hear that your luthier has very likely found the cause of the problem.

Fingers crossed that you will now be able to consistently tune your 370-12 properly without any further issues! :)

Ash
1976 4001 "Shadow" Fretless
1978 4002 Walnut
1986 4008 Silver
1999 4001 V63 White
2012 4004 Jetglo

Button 6 String Fretfull
Button 6 String Fretless
NS CR5 Omni Bass Fretless
Ashbory Bass
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Post by kiramdear »

Hi, Karl,

I tune my 12-strings to full pitch. If using a capo distorts your tuning, then perhaps your nut needs adjustment. I would guess the slots aren't deep enough and the strings are too high at the nut.
All I wanna do is rock!
johnp

Post by johnp »

My 330-12 has spent its entire 18 year life a somewhere around concert pitch. Short of stringing up with .16s you'll be fine.
JakeK
RRF Consultant

Post by JakeK »

This thread reveals that McGuinn has only tunes down a 1/2 step for singing purposes. John Hall also adds that...here, take a look:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=400600

FWIW, I ALWAYS tune any 12-string to concert pitch. If my voice can't fit the song, I change the key. No tuning down for me. I use capos a lot ("If I Needed Someone", anyone?), but I never tune down.

On my Ric, I also use Pick of the Ricks' low tension Tomastik Infeld flatwounds, which are easier on the neck. Your G-string might've snapped because of the age, type, tension and/or use of the strings.

If you were using the high-tension Pyramid gold flatwounds (there are low-tension ones, but they're special order), and they have been/were on the guitar a decent length of time, there might lie your answer. The tuner situation certainly helped, as you've stated. Anyway, if you read this before, have a good time at your show tonight, and if after, hope everything went all right.
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

Concert pitch. Always. Even when doing 12-string bends. . .

:twisted:
There is no reason to ever be bored.

...why yes, I suppose I do have a double bound guitar fetish...

"Uh, I like the double bounds. . . ."
teb
Advanced Member

Post by teb »

My current twelves (370/12WB, 340/12, Martin SPD12/16R) as well as my previous 360/12, 660/12, Martin D-12-28 and two Takamine twelves have lived their entire lives tuned to concert pitch with no problems. The Rickenbackers all have TI Jazz Flats, partially because they are lower tension, but mostly because they sound great and outlast other strings by a huge margin. Tune up. You may need to tweak the rods a quarter turn or so, but there is no reason to tune down unless you need to lower your guitar for your singing range.
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

On a 24-fret Rick, have at it - whatever strings you like should be fine at concert pitch.

On a 21-fret Rick, I would exercise extreme caution. Either use 8's or tune down a half step.

YMMV...
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

I like the .008 set; very easy to do bends with. :)
There is no reason to ever be bored.

...why yes, I suppose I do have a double bound guitar fetish...

"Uh, I like the double bounds. . . ."
leftybass
RRF Consultant

Post by leftybass »

sloop_john_b wrote:On a 24-fret Rick, have at it - whatever strings you like should be fine at concert pitch.

On a 21-fret Rick, I would exercise extreme caution. Either use 8's or tune down a half step.

YMMV...
Yep. On a vintage 12-string, .008s or .009 sets only.
deaconblues
RRF Consultant

Post by deaconblues »

What about the reissues? Or is it just the old joints?
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

deaconblues wrote:Or is it just the old joints?
How old are you? :mrgreen:
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

deaconblues wrote:What about the reissues? Or is it just the old joints?
I have seen McGuinns and v64s with poor neck angles, but I'm not sure about the CWs and the 350/12s.

Return to “Byrds' Forum: by James Krause”