Keeping our 12-strings at concert pitch

Those who flock to The Byrds
Folkie
Advanced Member

Re: Keeping our 12-strings at concert pitch

Post by Folkie »

Part of the confusion surrounding the issue of neck tension on Rick 12's stems from the fact that some makers of acoustic 12's recommend detuning a half step. And, of course, Roger McGuinn, on his now-famous instructional DVD, recommends the exact same thing with Rics (if his vocals are the issue, he certainly doesn't reveal that on the DVD). The fact remains that Rick 12's were designed to be shipped, stored, and played at concert pitch. I tried detuning mine to play along with McGuinn's DVD, and I was very disappointed with the results. :(
8mileshigher

Keeping our 12-strings at concert pitch

Post by 8mileshigher »

johnhall wrote:
The guitar was designed, built, adjusted and performs at its best at concert pitch.
That quote is from the thread Jake referenced ... I believe JH has also mentioned similar advice on other threads or FAQs.
kvalois

Post by kvalois »

Well, it looks pretty overwhelming thus far. Keeping it at concert pitch-- not one-half step down.

Are there any takers on the half-step down? :D

Thanks, everybody!!
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

I keep my 360/12, manufactured in April, '09 at concert pitch always. About the only times I use a capo (a Shubb) is as a third hand when changing strings, and a particular song we do in the band in the key of Bb. No issues here. And I strung her up with TI flats a couple of months ago. I think 12 string guitar making has come a long, long ways in the last 50 years. So unless a player insists on using heavy gauge strings, I see no reason to tune a half step low.
JimK
MDL

Post by MDL »

I've played my 360-12 for 44 years at concert pitch even back in the day when I used Black Diamond strings (cables) no problems, still looks, plays and sounds great. Half-step down just a big hassle with no purpose.
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

MDL wrote:I've played my 360-12 for 44 years at concert pitch even back in the day when I used Black Diamond strings (cables) no problems, still looks, plays and sounds great. Half-step down just a big hassle with no purpose.
Welcome, Mike! Yours is certainly the exception. I'd love to see a photo!
MDL

Post by MDL »

Not the best picture.
Attachments
ricketybacker
ricketybacker
billydlight

Post by billydlight »

Have the whole band tune to Eb ... Easier on the vocals too :D
Folkie
Advanced Member

Post by Folkie »

billydlight wrote:Have the whole band tune to Eb ... Easier on the vocals too :D
Well, it worked for Jimi Hendrix, although I'm not entirely sure he played a Ric 12-string! :lol:
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

Folkie wrote:
billydlight wrote:Have the whole band tune to Eb ... Easier on the vocals too :D
Well, it worked for Jimi Hendrix, although I'm not entirely sure he played a Ric 12-string! :lol:
http://www.rickresource.com/rrp/jhendrix.html
Folkie
Advanced Member

Post by Folkie »

He really did? :shock:
drumbob
RRF Consultant

Post by drumbob »

In our band, we tune a half step down to make vocals easier for my two main lead singers. So naturally, my Rick is now tuned down, and I think it's a good idea. Not long ago, I decided to display my 330-12 with the rest of my guitars instead of keeping it in its case, as I have done in the past. Tuned to A440, the neck bowed within no time. I'm sure the low humidity in my basement had something to do with it.

Under ideal circumstances, there's no reason a Rick 12 neck should warp. We all know they're well made instruments.
vynesmusic

Post by vynesmusic »

I never play with a capo unless it's George's song "If I Needed Someone"...I have that bar band- guy lazy thing going :roll:

Could someone please recommend the best electronic tuner for a Rick 12?

I need one that will handle the octave change......
"All these things will be lost in time....like....tears....in rain...."----Roy Batty, Bladerunner
manta
Intermediate Member

Post by manta »

Manta (Tim Rock)
http://www.mantaraymusic.com
1993 Plus FG, 730L-12, 4001FL, Danelectro 6/12, Storyboard Strat
Folkie
Advanced Member

Post by Folkie »

vynesmusic wrote:I never play with a capo unless it's George's song "If I Needed Someone"...I have that bar band- guy lazy thing going :roll:

Could someone please recommend the best electronic tuner for a Rick 12?

I need one that will handle the octave change......
My favorite is the Boss TU-3: Very accurate and easy to read! It's the next best thing to a strobe tuner! And it's virtually indestructable!

Return to “Byrds' Forum: by James Krause”