The Stone Roses.

Those who flock to The Byrds
Starstreamer-92

The Stone Roses.

Post by Starstreamer-92 »

Hi everyone,

New to the forum :)

Just looked around and seems to be a lot of great information on here, nice to see so many people enthusiastic about such a great band as the Byrds.

I am curious though. I did in-fact only endeavour to by 'the best of the Byrds' album when I was told by a friend how I might like them since one of my all-time favourite bands is The Stone Roses. Although I knew how much they were influenced by the west-coat psychedelic sound of the Beach Boys I didn't realise quite how much.
I just wanted to see if anyone else can see this connection as many people who I''ve said this too can't see where I'm coming from when I compare them to The Byrds.

For those who haven't heard them before, here's a few examples:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0voTmc0VhA - Going Down

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w25UA7YxwJs - Waterfall.

Cheers :)
Folkie
Advanced Member

Re: The Stone Roses.

Post by Folkie »

There seems to be a superficial similarity in the guitar sound and vocal harmonies, but it's nothing like the direct connection between the Byrds and, say, early R.E.M., or Robyn Hitchcock and the Egyptians. For that reason, I think this thread would have a more natural place in the Artists section, that is, if the Stone Roses played Ricks.
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

They sound quite English to my ear, rather than that mid '60s south California sound the Byrds typified. The date of their first recording coincides with a general Rickenbacker 12 string revival I suppose.
JimK
Starstreamer-92

Post by Starstreamer-92 »

Hmmm,

Now you mention it, I see where you're coming from with the REM thing (Out of Time) era. Since listening to the Byrds even more lately, it's perfectly clear to me the Roses floating harmonies were derived from Byrds and Beach Boys (All I Really Wan To Do / Eight Miles High). Since posting this I found some rather funny and interesting information. Apparently The Stone Roses debut album was originally planned to be called "The Best Of the Byrds".

This article makes my point and refers to an American's take on their similarity, albeit The Mirror... - http://www.mirror.co.uk/lifestyle/going ... ade-945612

Also, I honestly didn't realise this was a Rickenbacker forum, sorry for being ignorant. I was directed specifically to the Byrds section after googling 'Byrds Forum' and just assumed in was all Byrds related stuff, so, my apologies.

I'm not a guitar buff by any means, but I think the Roses used a Gretsch 'Chet Atkins' Country Gentleman (Also a hollow body guitar) similar to those Rickenbacker's played by the Byrds.

:)
Grey
Advanced Member

Post by Grey »

Starstreamer-92 wrote:I'm not a guitar buff by any means, but I think the Roses used a Gretsch 'Chet Atkins' Country Gentleman (Also a hollow body guitar) similar to those Rickenbacker's played by the Byrds.

Gary Mounfield played Rickenbacker basses and can be seen with one on the back cover of their first album, as well as their first television appearance and several live shows.
SCN_0007-49.jpg
lgm7.jpg
SCN_0013-35.jpg
Folkie
Advanced Member

Post by Folkie »

When I noted the direct Byrds influence on early R.E.M., I was referring to R.E.M.'s output from 1982-85, or "Chronic Town" through "Fables of the Reconstruction." Mitch Easter's Fender XII made many appearances on the early records, from "Gardening at Night" to "Talk About the Passion" to "So. Central Rain." But "Fables" is the band's contemporary take on The Byrds' 12-string sound, with Peter Buck's 360/12 written all over it.

Interesting note about the original title of the first Stone Roses album. Now I can see where you're coming from with that connection. But JimK is right: the Stone Roses were only one of many bands following R.E.M.'s lead in a sort of general "jangle" revival in the mid to late 80's. It's great that they're back together because they've made some unforgettable music. 8)
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

Starstreamer-92 wrote:Hmmm,
Also, I honestly didn't realise this was a Rickenbacker forum, sorry for being ignorant. I was directed specifically to the Byrds section after googling 'Byrds Forum' and just assumed in was all Byrds related stuff, so, my apologies.
No foul, no harm. Welcome to the RRF. You don't need to own a Rickenbacker to participate. So stick around if you'd like.
JimK
ByrdBro

Post by ByrdBro »

Years ago back in the day several people would say to me," if you like the Byrds you must like the Doors too".

WRONG!!

The OP did make me think of this as there doesn't seem to be that close a similarity of the Byrds to Stone Roses, although not wanting to sound like a put down.

However if you'd like a pleasant surprise check out the band Ride, you may find some of their tracks a bit closer.
Andy Bell of Oasis and Beady Eye was in this band, so you can imagine there was a Beatles/ Byrds vibe about the band.

Return to “Byrds' Forum: by James Krause”