The Scream Of The Butterfly or We Almost Played Woodstock

Discussing 60s and 70s Garage Band Music
kenposurf
RRF Consultant

The Scream Of The Butterfly or We Almost Played Woodstock

Post by kenposurf »

The band had been booked to play at Woodstock but got stuck at an airport. When their manager called the promoters of the concert they explained the situation and asked for patience. However, the manager demanded that the Butterfly be flown in by helicopter, whereupon they would "immediately" take the stage.....didn't happen..

collin

Re: The Scream Of The Butterfly or We Almost Played Woodstock

Post by collin »

You gotta love it when a song is SO long it has to be split into two YouTube videos. :lol:

Iron Butterfly is great. I saw their reformed band about ten years ago. Great show!
ataritoobin

Post by ataritoobin »

I always liked "Soul Experience."

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x462xk ... ence_music

(This used to be on YouTube but was removed :( )

That's definitely the highest stand I've ever seen a Vox organ on :mrgreen:
duke

Post by duke »

I had the pleasure of watching Iron Butterfly perform at the Memorial Coliseum in Portland, Oregon back in '69. "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida" was still hot and they brought the house down when they broke into it!
Kiddwad57
Intermediate Member

Re: The Scream Of The Butterfly or We Almost Played Woodstoc

Post by Kiddwad57 »

Combing through old threads, it's nice to see Iron Butterfly mentioned here. I've always been a fan, and have a few favorite tunes, but recently picked up Live at the Galaxy from '67 and Fillmore East Live, 1968. These recordings have opened my ears to many other songs that I hadn't paid much attention to. They were so much heavier live than their studio albums were able to reveal. Ron Bushy really sat on the tempos, in a good way.

Another thing I hadn't realized is what a fantastic guitarist Danny Weiss is/was. He and Doug Ingle squeezed a whole lotta wild sounds out of their Vox equipment! This isn't to slight Erik Brann...Between them, In-a-gadda-da-vida must have required the use of every button on the five button footswitch of their Beatle amps, including "repeat percussion" on the organ and Lee Dorman's use of "tone-x" in the bit after the drum solo (if I'm hearing it correctly). I also find it interesting to hear how they dealt with the residual noise of those amps, both in the studio and live.

For me, Iron Butterfly represents a high water mark for '60s garage music, California commercial style.
Don't let democracy end democracy.
Kiddwad57
Intermediate Member

Re: The Scream Of The Butterfly or We Almost Played Woodstoc

Post by Kiddwad57 »

I just watched the Soul Experience clip mentioned above, Ingle was even using the MRB button to enhance specific notes on one of his lines. Too cool. Maybe the other important use of that effect was on the keyboards during the fade out on the Beatles "Birthday."

Here's Iron Butterfly Theme from the Galaxy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OO3d3BN_3XA
Don't let democracy end democracy.

Return to “2 Car Garage: by Admin”