Country Gentleman - which one?

Gretsch Forum and For Sale Ads

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

longhouse
Advanced Member

Country Gentleman - which one?

Post by longhouse »

Since I won't be buying a 2006 Ric 1996 (toy guitar!), I think I may finally yield to my desire for a Country Gent. So I am appealling to the collective knowledge of you fine people.
Few stores stocks these beauties, so I can't get out to try them anywhere near.

Gibson or Gretsch?
I'm not too familiar with the pickups of either model (492R/490T on the Gib., Filtertrons on the Gretsch). The Gibson is 1.75" deep, while the Gretch is a cavernous 2.75", both are 17" wide.
Looks like the scale length differs (longer on Gib.).
Here's the Gibson:
http://www.gibsoncustom.com/flash/products/signature/countrygent/countrygentleman.html

pros: lustrous finish, never read a bad review, color options,
cons: all that gold!

The Gretsch:
http://www.gretschguitars.com/gear/index.php?a=3&product=G6122-1958

pros: more attractive peghead
cons: simulated F-holes (never understood that), aluminum, gold, and chrome all together (blech), one color?
Shaking the floor of Heaven
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

You going for looks (George) or sound?

Forget the Gibson IMO. That was a political deal when Chet went over to Orville's after Gretsch dropped the ball, and they tried to accommodate him. The Gibson is a pretender and an also-ran. Unfortunately, they also got the name, so Gretsch retreated into "Country Classic".

The Gretsch is a unique guitar, sonically and appearance-wise.

The painted on F-holes are an anti-feedback solution.

The aluminum chrome, and gold thing bothers me, too, but that can be changed easily.

The double-cutaway is kind of an optical illusion; it does not improve upper fret access.

Or you can do what I did and get a 6122-59. Yum yum.
“I say in speeches that a plausible mission of artists is to make people appreciate being alive at least a little bit. I am then asked if I know of any artists who pulled that off. I reply, 'The Beatles did.”
― Kurt Vonnegut
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

I'd go with the Gretsch for a few reasons.

The new post-Fender Gretchs have really impressed me, moreso then older ones i've played - I have owned two post-Fender models, a G6120DSW Nashville and a White Falcon. They're real solid and hold their tuning great, something I can't say for all the older ones I've played. And of course, they play and sound great - you can't beat "That Great Gretsch Sound!".

Gretschs also come with a certain cool factor that no other brand of guitar really has. I'm with Paul - it's unique, sonically and aesthetically. In a good way.

The painted-on F-holes are a little silly, but they will reduce feedback. They have never diminished my GAS for a Country Gent, either.

I agree about the mishmash of hardware, but it can be easily changed. My 6120 had a similar congolmeration of hardware, but after a little while, I just didn't give any thought to it anymore.

If I start talking about Gibson this will turn into an incredibly long rant, and i'd like to avoid that.

Just go with the Gretsch. Image
clearblue
Intermediate Member

Post by clearblue »

Gretsch!
ozover50
RRF Consultant

Post by ozover50 »

I agree - Gretsch! Although I'm very happy with my Gibby ES-335, however that's not a 'fatboy' like the 6120, 6122, White Falcon, etc.
"Never eat more than you can lift." - Mr. Moon
mgauction
Advanced Member

Post by mgauction »

Gretsch, definitely! I have a 1968 Tenneassean. Love it!

Howard - I need to try one of those 335 reissues with the wide neck. Also I LOVE orange 6120's from the late 50s. One of these days.....
Leprosy is rare & scarce but nobody wants that!
ozover50
RRF Consultant

Post by ozover50 »

You're welcome to try mine, Mike - only a 35 hour return trip for you! Image
"Never eat more than you can lift." - Mr. Moon
mgauction
Advanced Member

Post by mgauction »

Hey, listen! A short stop in Hawaii and then onto Aus... It could happen! My wife wants to go there. Then again, a two mile drive to Guitar Center would be a lot cheaper too...
Leprosy is rare & scarce but nobody wants that!
longhouse
Advanced Member

Post by longhouse »

Thanks for the advice. I'm getting an overwhelming GRETSCH vibe here.

Any dissenting opinions?
rick12dr
Veteran RRF member

Post by rick12dr »

A person would be a fool to dissent on this one.Hey, Paul, I just got one of those '59 6122s as well, though I traded the 6122-62 w flip ups for it.I have a std. flat Bigsby arm ordered for it.The fixed/curved thing is just goofy.Also gonna get a pair of regular TV Jones matching
Filtertrons for it.What gets me is, in the Gretsch catalog, on the pages where the 6122s are shown, every one of them is listed in the catalog code # as having the Same finish, and, excuse me, but the 59 and the 62 are absolutely Not the same
shade of brown.They are Both beautiful, but, what's up with that?
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

The Gretsch spec sheet should be taken with a large grain of salt. It seems like they were writing it to fit the space or something. The listed specs often differ from the photos elsewhere in the catalog or on the website. For two years now, the Electromatic hollowbodies have been listed with the wrong vibratos, for instance...

I agree with you on the Bigsby handle. Mine will also receive the flat one.

I strongly disagree on the pickup swap. Do you have any other Pro series Gretsches, Don? 85% of them come with Filtertrons. The setup (and sound) on the -59 is VERY unique and quite different from ANY FT-equipped Gretsch. Why make it sound like most other modern Gretsches? <sigh> At least a pup swap is reversible!

The -59 is possibly the most distinctive guitar in today's Gretsch line. You know the story about it being tailored and built as close to Chet's personal specs as possible. In short: this is intended as a fingerpickin' guitar. That's the reason for the wider neck and odd vibrato handle, bent to stay out of the way of a fingerpicker's right hand, which will get into the way if you're an energetic strummer. The handle is fixed (again) to accommodate a fingerpicker's right hand, which doesn't move as much as a strummer's. If you strum, you will need a swivelling handle. Gretsch also offers as an accessory a "paperclip" handle, also called a "Merle Travis" handle, with a similar bend and a looped end, again, set up for a fingerpicker's hand.
“I say in speeches that a plausible mission of artists is to make people appreciate being alive at least a little bit. I am then asked if I know of any artists who pulled that off. I reply, 'The Beatles did.”
― Kurt Vonnegut
soundmasterg
RRF Consultant

Post by soundmasterg »

I really like the sound of the TV Jones Filtertrons. From what I've seen the quality of the post Fender distributed Gretsches is vastly superior to the old ones in general.
longhouse
Advanced Member

Post by longhouse »

Paul, I think I agree, the 6122-1959 might be the best Gretsch Gent. Nice that it already has the TV Jones pickups, ALL gold bits, the familiar 1.75 width at nut, and is between my other choices widthwise.

I'm not going for a George Harrison or Chet Atkins sound -though I bow to both of those megatalents. The size, tone, stage appeal, and history of the model are attractive to me -but mostly I'm just certain that I can make my own music with a Country Gent. Image

The trouble I have at the moment is that I love my Gretsch Electromatic and my Aerodyne Tele, but I can nail most of what they do with my Ric 1997SPC/VB. I'm looking for another never-misses sidearm.

http://www.gretschguitars.com/gear/index.php?a=3&product=G6122-1959
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Greg, which TV Jones FTs are you referring to? He makes lots of different models.

The -59 has a unique combination of Plus HT and Supertron Classic pickups. (No FTs) It is the only Gretsch to be so blessed. Both pups are made by TV Jones.

Any Gretsch Electromatic is a far cry from a FT-equipped Pro Series guitar, and the -59 is head and shoulders above the rest of the Pro line. However, the Electromatic hollowbodies (G5125-G5129) do have some nice single coils, which in this case I would not swap for FTs, either.

So you need at least four Gretsches: A FT-equipped Pro series (there's about 82 to choose from), a single coil solidbody (6128-57 is a good choice), a single coil hollowbody (G5125), and of course The Holy Grail--the 6122-59.

Oh, and a fifth--a Pro Jet setneck, so you can learn how to swap pickups, as the hummers it comes with are awful.

Yeah, I'm being facetious. Sorta.

I believe the FTs to be the finest-sounding and best-made humbuckers on the planet. Quality all the way.
― Kurt Vonnegut
longhouse
Advanced Member

Post by longhouse »

I was referring to the TV's on the '59, Paul.

Of course, despite the advice, I may yet opt for the Gibson -but I intend to have both eventually.

The Gibson may be a pretender to the throne as far as Gents go, but I can't see it as a bad guitar... and I got the jones for an orange one. Like Ray 'Chikapi' Phiri's (think I spelled it right) who killed me with his electric fills on Graceland (Paul Simon).

Who knows, maybe I can A/B the two somewhere.

Return to “Going Gretsch Forum:”