NEW Gretsch 12-string

Gretsch Forum and For Sale Ads

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

I remember Mike Nesmith's having big triangle inlays, which I think went in the opposite direction of Ricks.
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

Ah, check this pic out. His might have been a one-off though.

http://www.raw-tcsd.com/images/Monkees.JP.1313.jpg
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca
Chrome Aardvark

Re:

Post by Chrome Aardvark »

sloop_john_b wrote:I remember Mike Nesmith's having big triangle inlays, which I think went in the opposite direction of Ricks.
It's a Gretsch 6076 12-string. The 6076 came in natural/blonde and the 6075 was the more common sunburst model. They are basically a double cutaway Tennessean with a 12 string neck. I think the one Nez used was a prototype.

Here's one for closer inspection: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1968-Gretsch-60 ... 5768728624
fabandgear

Re: NEW Gretsch 12-string

Post by fabandgear »

I've owned this '67 6075 12 String since '86. It's a really neat guitar and quite different from the Rick 12 in sound as well as playability. The Super'Tron II pickups are really LOUD. Rather than jangly, they have a pungent, bluesy bite. Supposedly Mike Nesmith preferred the Gretsch over the Rick for this more bluesy sound. The neck is more of a handful than the Rick, also. I've played another 6075 whose neck was less "clubby" than mine, so I assume Gretsch was all over the place on hand shaping these. Still, it's a very fun guitar and I've used it to great effect on quite a few of our '60s band gigs.
Attachments
6075cropped.jpg
"When I kill, its on direct orders from Her Majesty's government." -007
Chrome Aardvark

Forrest,

Thanks for the info. Living in Australia I've never seen one in the flesh, but I'd love to try one out though. Thanks to my love of The Buffalo Springfield, I've got a '68 Gibson 335 12-string and it has a similar volume issue along with a super slim late 60's neck. I think the wider Gretsch neck would be more to my liking, but the Super'Trons might be a bit full on for my tastes.

Have you ever come across the 6076 model? They seem pretty rare and there's not much info or any pictures, apart form Nez's guitar, online.
bvstudios

Post by bvstudios »

Hmm- the one on FleaBay may be a bit of a bargain.....I just looked in the Gretsch 2011 Catalogue, and the 6122-12 lists at $3,325.00 (US).

Here's the quote from the catalogue, fwiw:

"THE 6122-12.....DOUBLES THE SOUND OF THE CLASSIC MODEL WITH THE CHIMING, JANGLING SOUND OF THE '60S" (etc)

Also, from the two images I've seen, it looks to be strung the same as accoustic 12s rather than in the classic Ric style, which would also affect the sound.

Still, it'd look nice alongside my classic Chet... But not 3300 bucks worth.

******************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
Update- I should really learn to look at the date of a post I'm replying too..... sigh.. Still, they are in the current catalogue...

(memo to self: read the WHOLE thread, dummy!)
Chrome Aardvark

There are a couple of 6122 12's on eBay right now for around $1800 US + shipping.
JakeK
RRF Consultant

Post by JakeK »

Although a Country Gent 12-string is an interesting concept, it doesn't move me. No, I haven't played one to judge for sure, but I think the guitar would be better and closer to jangle with Hi-Lo Trons instead of Filtertrons. The wide neck is a plus, though.
lennon211
Intermediate Member

Post by lennon211 »

JakeK wrote:Although a Country Gent 12-string is an interesting concept, it doesn't move me. No, I haven't played one to judge for sure, but I think the guitar would be better and closer to jangle with Hi-Lo Trons instead of Filtertrons. The wide neck is a plus, though.
I've tried them out and they are really nice players. Great sound IMO.
Sarcasm just doesn't come through when you're typing...
fabandgear

Post by fabandgear »

Chrome Aardvark wrote:Forrest,

Thanks for the info. Living in Australia I've never seen one in the flesh, but I'd love to try one out though. Thanks to my love of The Buffalo Springfield, I've got a '68 Gibson 335 12-string and it has a similar volume issue along with a super slim late 60's neck. I think the wider Gretsch neck would be more to my liking, but the Super'Trons might be a bit full on for my tastes.

Have you ever come across the 6076 model? They seem pretty rare and there's not much info or any pictures, apart form Nez's guitar, online.
Rod, the 6076 is only a natural finished version of the sunburst 6075. I've read that some 6076's have been made on the 17" double cutaway body instead of the standard 16", but I've never seen one. Mike Nesmith's was a one-off, custom-ordered guitar with the 17" body and a single string muffler. I wish Gretsch would re-issue the Nesmith version. I'd buy one so fast it's case would have to be padded with asbestos!
"When I kill, its on direct orders from Her Majesty's government." -007

Return to “Going Gretsch Forum:”