Gretsch String Gauges

Gretsch Forum and For Sale Ads

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

randyz
Advanced Member

Gretsch String Gauges

Post by randyz »

Dear Curmudgeon, I just received my new Gretsch Tennessean. Although it's a gorgeous guitar, several of the factory strings don't sound right. I think a restring will correct the situation. Do you know what size strings the factory supplies? I was thinking 11-49, but I don't want to make any modifications to the nut.
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Can't answer until I get to my office tomorrow and measure my own Rose. So if someone else wants to jump in, be my guest...otherwise I'll be on around noon PST tomorrow.
“I say in speeches that a plausible mission of artists is to make people appreciate being alive at least a little bit. I am then asked if I know of any artists who pulled that off. I reply, 'The Beatles did.”
― Kurt Vonnegut
rick12dr
Veteran RRF member

Post by rick12dr »

I'm wondering if Gretsch uses the same guage string on both their 24.75 scale guitars[Tennessean, 6120s] and 25.50 scale[Falcons, Gents,etc.] I Think what came on my new Falcon and 6122-59[Paul has one of these,too; Paul, what guage are you thinking they put on the 59 as stock?I think 10-46.]I have 11-49/50 flats on the 59;they are perfect.tone and feel.
randyz
Advanced Member

Post by randyz »

Dear Curmudgeon: I hate to be a nag, but have you got any opinions on Tennessean string gauges?
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Thanks for the reminder...somehow I thought I'd posted...

Factory was .011-.046, roundwound. I say "was" because my own NOS '04 had them. My new '05 6122-59 has the same. My NOS '04 6120JR2, too.

Because of the bar bridge, you may have some intonation problems if you switch to a bigger bottom end. Oddly, I haven't seen a lot of complaints about the bar bridge and intonation. Some, but not a lot.

My Rose HT will get .012 TI flatties next restring, which will be soon.
“I say in speeches that a plausible mission of artists is to make people appreciate being alive at least a little bit. I am then asked if I know of any artists who pulled that off. I reply, 'The Beatles did.”
― Kurt Vonnegut
randyz
Advanced Member

Post by randyz »

Thanks so much. A new set of 11-46 should work fine.
johneek
Advanced Member

Post by johneek »

I just got a 6122-1962 and it came with the following:
011, .014, .018, .028, .038, .049
trancedental

Post by trancedental »

I got a old CA CG 6122 & it came with 11-50's thats the gauge I've used since.

I'd say that anything below 10-46 would be trouble?
Destroy DJ Rap & Synths / Robot Music!
randyz
Advanced Member

Post by randyz »

I looked for 11-46 last night, and all I could find was 11-49. I suppose that's what I'll put on my Tennessean.
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

These guitars respond really well to heavier strings.

On a sad note, my new Rose has a minute neck-heel crack that I only noticed last night at practice.

So back it goes.

They have LOTS of these still left, BTW...
― Kurt Vonnegut
harvey49
Intermediate Member

Post by harvey49 »

That's bad news about the guitar Paul, at least you're able to take it back. When I had my 6122 shipped out here I was told that the warranty expired on leaving the US, which didn't please me, but I wasn't going to pay $5k here just for the privilege of having factory warranty.

Do you think yours will be repaired or replaced?
Life wasn't meant to be easy
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Musician's Friend is simply going to send me another one. They will either sell it as damaged goods or return it to Fender for credit, I would imagine.

Fingers crossed and I hope the second one will be the charm. I love the sound of HiLo Trons.
― Kurt Vonnegut
harvey49
Intermediate Member

Post by harvey49 »

Oh well Paul, if that one too has issues, your lucky to be able to just pack it up and send it back. You can keep playing this game until it's corrected, but I'm sure the next one will be "the one"
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Serial number says it's an '04 Terada; I'm of course wondering just how soon after the Fender takeover it could have been made. I've probably owned a half-dozen post-Fender Gretsch Professional Series guitars, and another dozen or so pre-Fenders. Quality has been spotty, but is definitely terrific on most of my '04-'06s, so it's pretty much as good as it gets these days.

I recently reserved one of the limited-run (12) Billy-Bos that Joel at Shanghai Guitars is having made in white. It'll be interesting to see if these get any sort of special treatment in terms of quality control.

Upon checking the Rose on my bench, I found a silly amount of neck relief and a bit of twist, too. Imagining hundreds of these complex beasties being shipped every week boggles the mind and makes me wonder just how they keep a lid on QC.
― Kurt Vonnegut
harvey49
Intermediate Member

Post by harvey49 »

Interestingly, I bought my 6122 from Joel, hell of a nice guy and has the patience of a saint! Image

Return to “Going Gretsch Forum:”