Gretsch Acoustic Guitars

Gretsch Forum and For Sale Ads

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

randyz
Advanced Member

Gretsch Acoustic Guitars

Post by randyz »

Dear Curmudgeon: As you can probably tell, I've been on a Gretsch buying spree lately. I've always had a soft spot for the look of a Grestch acoustic guitar. They apparently come in several models. The most familiar is the big jumbo G6022 Rancher, but recently I've noticed a dreadnaught G5032 Rancher. Do you have any experience with either of these models? What do Gretsch acoustics sound like? As far as acoustics, I currently own a cheap Epiphone slope-shoulder, a '96 Gibson J160E, and a '69 Fender Malibu. I'm thinking of buying a new Rancher.
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Gretsch acoustics come in at several price points, beginning at $2800 MSRP for the White Falcon acoustic, down to $600 for the Electromatic 5000 series dreadnought with no pickup.

Their pickup system of choice is the Fishman.

Street prices on these vary widely. I've seen the White Falcon selling for about $1400 on Ebay, and the lower-end ones typically are in the $325.00-400.00 range.

You just missed as one-off factory prototype Rancher in Jetglo (whoops, Ebony) which went last week on the 'Bay for $325.00 with practically no bidding activity.

As you might guess, these are not wildly popular. But among the Gretsch guys in the know, they're considered to be the best-kept secrets in acoustics.

I've played a number of the Electromatics, both dreadnoughts and jumbos, and prefer the jumbo (Rancher) size. There is no such thing as a "dreadnought Rancher"--Gretsch shorthand for "jumbo" is "Rancher".

There's a similar philosophy here to Rick acoustics: mate a quasi-electric neck and fretboard to a well-constructed, proven body design with very good fit and finish. Of course, Gretsch acoustics and Rick acoustics are really apples and oranges, because you're talking about American-crafted, low production versus factory-built-in- Korea or Japan. Still the Gretsches are good value for money.

A good Electromatic jumbo will blow the pegs off of the Fender, and give the much pr1cier Gibson a good run for its money. The Epi isn't even in the running.

What do they sound like? The Rancher has sparkling treble and will cut nicely through the mix, as they say...it's got a 17" wide body, so bass has a good presence.

These should be tried out before purchase if possible, as there are a few stinkers, and unfortunately Ebay is the clearance center of choice for them. Make sure you get return privileges and quiz the seller thoroughly. Stay away from very light strings (something like .011-.053 is your best bet on these).

The Professional (6022) will run you around $1000-1200 street price. There are two models besides the Falcon Birthday Cake--a cutaway and a non.

I'd say start with a nice Electromatic and try a Professional if you can for comparison.
“I say in speeches that a plausible mission of artists is to make people appreciate being alive at least a little bit. I am then asked if I know of any artists who pulled that off. I reply, 'The Beatles did.”
― Kurt Vonnegut
randyz
Advanced Member

Post by randyz »

Paul: Thanks for the input. If you check out a recent 2006 Gretsch catalog, you might notice a change in terminology. It says, "The new Gretsch Rancher Flat Top Dreadnought features...". They also refer "Rancher Jumbo" and "Rancher Jr". I've noticed that Music123 "Rancher Dreadnought" for $420 in an orange stain finish (no case). The posted reviews are all positive, so I'm tempted.
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

You're right. I'm going from memory; haven't seen that catalog yet!

That dread would be a good intro into Gretsch acoustics; what do you have to lose?
“I say in speeches that a plausible mission of artists is to make people appreciate being alive at least a little bit. I am then asked if I know of any artists who pulled that off. I reply, 'The Beatles did.”
― Kurt Vonnegut
randyz
Advanced Member

Post by randyz »

I think it's a really nice looking guitar with lots of Gretsch details like the orange finish, thumbnail inlays, odd-shaped sound hole, and industrial-duty knurled strap buttons. Add a $49 Musician's Friend case and I'm still under $500. I think I'm sold!
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

You'll be very happy with the quality, methinks...
― Kurt Vonnegut
kenposurf
RRF Consultant

Post by kenposurf »

Been ghosting this post and pulled the trigger for a G5022C Rancher w/hsc on ebay..nice guy..wanted $580 shipped but accepted $500. I'll post a review when she shows...thanks again to Paul on this one!
Reverb set to stun !!

Return to “Going Gretsch Forum:”