Going Gretsch

Gretsch Forum and For Sale Ads

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

That's great news Aitch! Now I know that I'll get to at least look at it in the flesh so to speak, when I get there.

I doubt that you'll let me any near it. I just might put my pick under the strings. You know what that generally means Image
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
harvey49
Intermediate Member

Post by harvey49 »

After hearing about Brian's unwritten law about picks, you'd better frisk him at the door Howard and hide yours so he doesn't get the opportunity to enhance his own collection. Image
Life wasn't meant to be easy
blazer

Post by blazer »

Actually my Sparkle Jet isn't my first Gretsch, I owned a Synchromatic Malcolm Young model before. Identical to the one on the picture.

http://www.musicpark.com.au/Graphics/Guitar/Sale%20May%2003/GretschMalYoung.jpg
I used that one as my main guitar on the album I recorded with the band "The Worst"

Comparing that korean made one with the Japanese made one I now have is like comparing apples and oranges. The Malcolm Young sounded more powerful, the fixed bridge accounts for that but the two Humbuckers did have that nice sparkly "Gretsch" sound. What I didn't like about it (and that was also the reason why I sold it) was that the pickup and tone switches were directly above the neck pickup so I constantly bumped into them. Another thing was the BIG square neck heel, it played rather uncomfortably. And I hated how neck heavy it was.
"The stronger one gets the stronger one smells." - Son Goku, Dragonball Z.
ozover50
RRF Consultant

Post by ozover50 »

Yeah..... the switch positioning on those was madness IMO. I'd struggle with it because I tend to strum up that way a lot.

No probs, Brian..... your picks under my strings doesn't bother me. Your slippers under my bed would be a real worry!! Image
"Never eat more than you can lift." - Mr. Moon
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

Re: "Your slippers under my bed would be a real worry!! "

No worries there Aitch. Placing my pick under the strings of you Gretsch would be a much greater threat. Image

I see you have warned the locals about my unwritten law. It looks like I am not going to get away with anything.

By the way Wouters pardon my manners. Congrats on your new guitar.
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein

Return to “Going Gretsch Forum:”