AITCH'S GRETSCH DeVille

Gretsch Forum and For Sale Ads

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

ozover50
RRF Consultant

Post by ozover50 »

Yes, Paul...... I thought I'd leave the flatties on and see how they felt. So far, so good! The last time I played with flats was back in the 60s and to say that I was unimpressed at the time is an understatement - there was just no 'feel' to the guitar.

These are fine! Not much chop for bending but I don't do much of that, so not really an issue.

The new wiring is a terrific result, too. Gives me plenty of variation in sound and the standby switch is very useful - saves having to muck around with the volume controls after an idle period.

No probs at all with intonation and tuning, either. I placed the bridge right on the markers and the intonation is so close I'm not going to fiddle with that - sounds fine all the way up the fretboard. I had to raise the treble side of the bridge a bit to clear the bridge pickup poles (screwed them down to the max first) and may have gone a little overboard because the action on that side is little high now. I'm sure with a bit of tinkering and small incremental adjustments (and a magnifying glass!) I'll find the best setup.

Thanks again for your great work, Paul! Image

BTW.... I reckon the case weighs as much if not more than the guitar!!
"Never eat more than you can lift." - Mr. Moon
ozover50
RRF Consultant

Post by ozover50 »

Not true, Brian. I know first hand how you handle and look after guitars - no supervision necessary!

An eyebolt in the concrete floor, some heavy chain and a padlock or two should do the trick.......
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

Thanks Aitch,

That means a lot to me. Image

Note to myself: I must pack my bolt cutters!
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
britye
Intermediate Member

Post by britye »

Man oh man Beautiful instrument. Great work Paul, Aitch, Do we need to send first aid supplies for your fingers? What a great color combo!! The only word I can use to describe it is " Delicious" Rock on!!
rick_ovic
RRF Consultant

Post by rick_ovic »

Man, that is one sexy guitar! Image The finish is superb and that truss rod cover is waaaaaay cool!

Well done, Paul and congratulations Aitch. I can't wait to give it a Townsend windmill strum. Image
'59 425, '59 335, '60 335, '60 360, '60 335F, '60 345F, '64 RM 1999, '65 RM 1998, '65 360-12, '66 335, '67 450-12, '72 4001 '72 4001, '75 4000, '75 4000CS, '00 700S, '01 700C, '01 700S-12, '01 730S-FH, '06 660 DCM
longboard_ric
Intermediate Member

Post by longboard_ric »

Howard, that is a beautiful piece of craftsmanship.

Well done Paul!!!!
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
robbo63

Post by robbo63 »

Gorgeous guitar, love the color choices. Question: is the headstock finish different from the green back? Looks like it. Is it the original Gretsch finish?
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Thanks, Robert! The headstock veneer is finished in black. It is not the original finish--the headstock's gold plastic "Electromatic" script was replaced with inlaid mother of pearl "GRETSCH" lettering.
“I say in speeches that a plausible mission of artists is to make people appreciate being alive at least a little bit. I am then asked if I know of any artists who pulled that off. I reply, 'The Beatles did.”
― Kurt Vonnegut
alexgarner

Post by alexgarner »

I m late to this topic but have to post (big Gretsch fan) - just how mind-blowing is that guitar? Congrats to you both, really tasteful and classy, absolutely perfectly realised.
ozover50
RRF Consultant

Post by ozover50 »

Thanks, Alex..... it's a good 'un all right!! Image

Return to “Going Gretsch Forum:”