Gretsch using pine too

Gretsch Forum and For Sale Ads

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

lennon211
Intermediate Member

Gretsch using pine too

Post by lennon211 »

Every now and again, I swing over to the Gretsch website to check out what they're doing. This summer, they're reissuing this: http://www.gretschguitars.com/gear/inde ... duct=G6130

It looks pretty cool with that wood. I'm not into the whole western vibe, but it seems interesting.
Attachments
G6130_md.jpg
teb
Advanced Member

Re: Gretsch using pine too

Post by teb »

Somehow those big ugly knots just don't do it for me, especially on a nice guitar like a Gretsch. Birdseye pine? Welded-on, bad-taste belt buckle? Cactus neck inlays? Just say no. I think Gretsch stepped in it with this one. Speaking of stepping in it, why not do it right with the Bigfoot guitar (Squatch-o-caster?)

collin

Post by collin »

The coolest Roundup I've ever seen is a 1955 model found in a coffee table book about Billy Gibbons (about his guitars, cars and other cool stuff).

Looks like it was found in a barn or something- decrepit in an awesome way. Gretsch's have a really cool way of falling apart over time- binding rot, pickguards crumbling before your eyes etc...Gibbon's has it all.

I'll agree though, all the Roundup models, especially the knotty pines, are way over the top into the cowboy motif, but I think it's kinda funny-cool.

Cheers,
-Collin
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

I actually like the over the top Coboy motif, but it's not for everyone. I plan on buying a Chet Atkins roundup, but I'm going to pass on the knotty pine version. I just want a solid body Chet roundup to match my Western 6120 Chet. :D

Those knots remind me of the cabinet in my mom's kitchen when I was a kid; knotty pine with a cherry-ish finish.
octagon

Post by octagon »

I think those are really cool.Here is a picture of an original:

scotty

Post by scotty »

Speaking about that bigfoot guitar.Why would the designer of this guitar put the input jack on the front of the body? surely it would have been better on the heel :wink:
godber
Advanced Member

Post by godber »

scotty wrote:Speaking about that bigfoot guitar.Why would the designer of this guitar put the input jack on the front of the body? surely it would have been better on the heel :wink:
Because he didn't want to just toe the line.

Did you see what I did there. Getting like vaudeville in here.
jch
Intermediate Member

Post by jch »

They're only making 75 of these KP Roundups so i'll , knot , be getting one soon.

I was hoping too though,to keep my 6120DSW company,
but that 6121 looks likely though.
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

jch wrote:They're only making 75 of these KP Roundups so i'll , knot , be getting one soon.

I was hoping too though,to keep my 6120DSW company,
but that 6121 looks likely though.
I'll be doing the same thing sometime in the near future. Gotta have a a solid body Chet Western Roundup to match my 6120 DSW-yee HAW!!! :D

Return to “Going Gretsch Forum:”