Gretsch pick ups.

Gretsch Forum and For Sale Ads

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

paologregorio

Re: Gretsch pick ups.

Post by paologregorio »

blue330 wrote:Useful info here, thanks. I recently bought an old guitar with a HiLo Tron- I get the impression these don't do much for anybody. Are there any fans of this pickup? I don't have any real world experience with it yet, but I often think low-output pickups have a good sound. Still it seems like the Dynasonic may be a better-sounding unit?
The Dynasonic (Gretsch's term for the DeArmond, IIRC) is my fave Gretsch p/up, but I do like the Hilotrons on my `65 Gretsch Tenny; they have a sweet, low output tone, IMO. IIRC, local guitar guru/tech/repairman/builder Steve Soest had good things to say about them as well after working on my Tenny. I've flirted with the idea of exchanging p/ups, but haven't been motivated enough to actually do so. The low output tone has an appealing character to it.

Oh, and Mitch, I've mentioned this before, but seeing you play your AZ Blue 330 on MTV, and live opening for the Bunnymen, inspired me to order my 360 WB in AZ Blue. :) I was already into Ricks by then from seeing the Jam, but the first time I saw your video on MTV, if I didn't already like your band from hearing it on KROQ, I was probably instantly attracted to turning up the volume because I saw you had a Rick. Relating that back to this thread, I imagine other 20-somethings today with the $ will order, or save up to order in the future, Ricks, when they see bands they like playing Ricks. :)
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

For the short time I had my 1961 Double Annie with HiLoTrons I liked them just as much as the toasters on my 1967 330, just in a different way. They had a slightly sweeter tone, not quite as jangly, and they produced a nice jazzy tone with the tone switch in.
guitman
Professional Player

Post by guitman »

Ok, I stand corrected about the DeArmond 2k pickups. They are not the same as the Dynasonics, but and this is a big but, they are still pretty damned good and sound very similar. I keep reading posts in various forums of people putting them down but I gotta say they have about the same output and have that same biting twang. My two main 6-string electrics are a 1954 Country Club and a 2000 DeArmond Starfire Special. I switch between them at a gig and I don't have to alter my amp settings one whit.

This sound file has both of these guitars on it, the first guitar you hear is the DeArmond, the overdubbed lead is the Gretsch Club. Both were recorded direct with no amplifier and with both pickups engaged with volume and tone controls dimed with the neck pickups backed off very slightly. The DeArmond is at a slightly lower volume in the mix. http://soundcloud.com/groovie-one/i-got-my-mojo-workin The similarity between the two is readily apparent although the DeArmond has a solid center block which makes for a cleaner sound with fewer "acoustic" over & undertones.

'54 Country Club (added tone control)

DeArmond Starfire Special (slight mods)
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and defiantly shouting, "WOW, what a ride !" - Sprung

Return to “Going Gretsch Forum:”