Gretsch pick ups.

Gretsch Forum and For Sale Ads

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

fireglo67

Gretsch pick ups.

Post by fireglo67 »

Hi guys and gals.

I'm a complete non techie when it comes to guitars (I turn 'em up loud, and hit 'em hard)

I've been looking a various Gretsch models but I'm a bit confused about the different pick up configurations on offer. I've just about worked out the differences between a high gain and a toaster on a Ric so I need some help here please!

Even the new White Falcons come with different pick-ups, I've heard people mention TV Jones pick-ups before, but not the other types.

My band play mostly loud, the sound varies between Jangle(of course), Country Rock twang, and Power Pop.

Could anyone recommend which pick-ups to look out for? I think the options are basically....

Dynasonic, Single Coil Pickups
TV Jones Classic Pickups
High Sensitive Filter-Tron Pickups
TV Jones PowerOTron Pickups
Hilo-Tron Pickups

And maybe some others I've missed.

(by the way, I use a Vox AC30cc2 with no extra effects)

Any help and recommendations greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Rob.
gellkeller
Intermediate Member

Re: Gretsch pick ups.

Post by gellkeller »

If you are after some Country Rock twang then you can't go past the Dynasonics. They epitomise that classic Gretsch sound.

I have them in my Duojet 6128T-1957 and Black Penguin and I couldn't be happier.
fireglo67

Post by fireglo67 »

gellkeller wrote:If you are after some Country Rock twang then you can't go past the Dynasonics. They epitomise that classic Gretsch sound.

I have them in my Duojet 6128T-1957 and Black Penguin and I couldn't be happier.

Cool. That is good news as they seem to be the ones mostly featured on some of the cheaper models.

How versatile are they?

Can you get a good Rock sound out of them as well?

Cheers.

Rob.
tamborineman

Post by tamborineman »

TV Jones in my 6118 LTV deliver the twang as one would expect but I was surprised at the punch and sustain when cranked up. It rivals a Gibson hummbucker. Worth the extra money in my opinion, although the less expensive Gretsch models are all excellent values. :)
jch
Intermediate Member

Post by jch »

Don't get confused with the Dynas in the pro line and the DeArmond 2000 single coils that are in the Electricmatic models.

They are not the same pickup.

Dynas will get you that classic twang ,my favs 8)
Seymore Duncun also has his version of these which are suppose to be superb,i haven't heard them myself ,so can't comment,they're expensive though!

Hi-Lo's are twangy too, but much lower output,think George on the Beatles for sale album.

TV Jones pickups are a great upgrade especially the TV Classics,they have a very authentic 50's sound.

The basic Filtertron pickup is fine ,but its all in the ear of the beholder :D

I have a 2003 White Falcon with High Sensitive fitertrons, and it sounds fine.
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

There seems to be some confusion here regarding Gretsch pickups. I hope the following helps.

Gretsch makes several types of pickups, both in single-coil and humbucker types. Humbuckers have two coils wound in opposite directions so that extraneous electrical interference is effectively cancelled. TV Jones is a supplier/consultant to Gretsch who makes wonderful, distinctive and very powerful versions of Gretsch's pickups. His entire line can be seen here:

http://www.tvjones.com

He's also a heck of a nice guy who turns up at every NAMM and talks to his many customers and fans at length.

The Gretsch-made humbuckers are the Power Trons, Filter Trons, and the flat chrome cased humbuckers used on some hollowbody Electromatic models (which Gretsch used to say that TV Jones "designed", but now are merely described as "chrome-cased humbucker pickups". Many of us call these "Dumbuckers" or worse, because their sound is neither refined nor distinctive.)

The Gretsch-made single coils are the HiLo Trons, the Dynasonics, and the DeArmond 2000s. Dynasonics and De Armond 2000s, although they look alike, are not the same pickups. The Dynasoncs have long magnets and adjustable pole pieces and are featured on high-end Professional Gretsch guitars. The 2000s have flat magnets and are featured on the Electromatic 5125-5129 hollowbodies. Although they are cheaper pickups than the "real" Dynas, they still have a far superior, claner, crisper, and twangier sound than the Dumbuckers. But for that real Gretsch "spank" as heard on so many early rockabilly classics, go with the Dynasonics.

Gretsch Filtertrons and Gibson humbuckers have little in common sound-wise, Gretsch taking the prize IMO; the Filtertron and its variants have a juicy mid and crisp highs that the Gibson can't touch.

If anyone is considering buying a cheaper Gretsch and swapping in some Dynasonics, it's not easy...there is routing or hole-filling to be done, depending upon the model of the guitar and pickup you start with.
jch
Intermediate Member

Post by jch »

I just love the tone in that Duo Jet video 8)
fireglo67

Post by fireglo67 »

That's great.

I'm not looking at the electromatic models, they are cheap, but they sound it too, I've played a few in a local shop and I have to say I'm not keen.

I'm really looking at the Aniversary and White Falcon models. both of which are available with a different configuration of pick ups.

I remember reading an interview with Billy Duffy of The Cult who had a White Falcon (an original, not a one of the new ones), but he said he had to change the stock pick-ups as they were too quiet.

So judging by the expert suggestions on here I should be sound with either the TV joneses or the Dynasonics? Though most of the new breed of White Falcons seem to have the Filter Trons......
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

My vote's for the Dynasonics. I have five Gretsches, and four of them are equipped with Dynasonics. I love the way they sound. It's been awhile since I've played a Gretsch with Filtertrons, but I wasn't happy with the sound at the time. I really like the Dynasonics. The other Gretsch I have, my `65 Tennessean, came with Hilotrons, which are a sweet sounding, low output pickup.

I've heard nothing but good things about the T.V. Jones designed pickups.
jch
Intermediate Member

Post by jch »

The Gretsch White Falcon G6136DS is the one to go for IMHO
Or if lacquer is your thing,the G6136TLDS, aged vintage white lacquer finish, Bigsby and Dynas 8)

Billy was taking about his old Bladwin era Falcon when he mentions about the pickups.
I had a 78 baldwin Gretsch Super Chet with the same pickups as he would have had ,and i thought they sounded great,so...

I have 5 Gretsches myself, 3 Filtertron models and 2 Dynas
I have no complaints about the sound of the vintage filters in my 57 Gent or 64 6120.
But the tone of my 57 6120 with Dynas is sublime 8)

My DSW sounds great too.
Last edited by jch on Sat Jul 05, 2008 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Mateybob wrote:That's great.

I'm not looking at the electromatic models, they are cheap, but they sound it too, I've played a few in a local shop and I have to say I'm not keen.

I'm really looking at the Aniversary and White Falcon models. both of which are available with a different configuration of pick ups.

I remember reading an interview with Billy Duffy of The Cult who had a White Falcon (an original, not a one of the new ones), but he said he had to change the stock pick-ups as they were too quiet.

So judging by the expert suggestions on here I should be sound with either the TV joneses or the Dynasonics? Though most of the new breed of White Falcons seem to have the Filter Trons......
I'll repeat what I said in my post above, but in different words...

WHICH TV Jones are you referring to? I posted a link to TV's web site, just to help...he makes lots of pickups, each with a unique personality. So just saying "TV Jones" is not specific enough.

Undoubtedy you played an Electromatic with "Dumbuckers", as the DeArmond-equipped Elecromatics (again, the 5125-5129s) are quite nice at a small fraction of the price of a white Falcon, especially a (migod!) lacquer one. Here in the USA, the MSRP of a 5125 Electromatic is $1200.00 (street price roughly half that), whereas a lacquer WF goes for $4725.00. If you could even find a lacquer WF in the UK, anywhere but London or Manchester perhaps, you'd be talking large wads of cash. The 5125-5129s are terrific value for money. They were my intro to the Gretsch hollowbody line, and I remain partial to them for value and sound. But if you can afford a pro line Gretsch, I'd buy a Country Club before I went for a WF. The 6192, 6193, or 6196 each have the real Dynasonics, and are superb players.
jch
Intermediate Member

Post by jch »

Yeah, a Dyna 6196 with a spruce top is just beautiful 8)
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

jch wrote:The Gretsch White Falcon G6136DS http://www.gretschguitars.com/gear/inde ... ct=G6136DS is the one to go for IMHO
Or if lacquer is your thing,the G6136TLDS http://www.gretschguitars.com/gear/inde ... G6136T-LDS, aged vintage white lacquer finish, Bigsby and Dynas 8)
I second that; one of those two models is on my shopping list. I definitely want a Bigsby, not sure if the aged lacquer is worth the extra $$, which leads me to my next question:

Paul W: I've been meaning to ask you about these two guitars. I plan on buying one of them, and the major diffierence is the lacquer finish and the Bigsby. I'm not worried so much about the Bigsby, because the whammy is available from John Sprung, but the lacquer would seem to me to be a major difference. You've mentioned before that modern finishes are superiro to the old fashioned nitro lacquer, but IIRC, you thought that with an arch top or acoustic, that the nitro lacquer finish might be better for a guitar tonally.

In your opinion, would the TLDS with the aged nitro lacquer be worth the extra expense tonally over the gloss urethane finish?
fireglo67

Post by fireglo67 »

jingle_jangle wrote:
Mateybob wrote:That's great.

I'll repeat what I said in my post above, but in different words...

WHICH TV Jones are you referring to? I posted a link to TV's web site, just to help...he makes lots of pickups, each with a unique personality. So just saying "TV Jones" is not specific enough.

Undoubtedy you played an Electromatic with "Dumbuckers", as the DeArmond-equipped Elecromatics (again, the 5125-5129s) are quite nice at a small fraction of the price of a white Falcon, especially a (migod!) lacquer one. Here in the USA, the MSRP of a 5125 Electromatic is $1200.00 (street price roughly half that), whereas a lacquer WF goes for $4725.00. If you could even find a lacquer WF in the UK, anywhere but London or Manchester perhaps, you'd be talking large wads of cash. The 5125-5129s are terrific value for money. They were my intro to the Gretsch hollowbody line, and I remain partial to them for value and sound. But if you can afford a pro line Gretsch, I'd buy a Country Club before I went for a WF. The 6192, 6193, or 6196 each have the real Dynasonics, and are superb players.

Yeah, I told you I was a non techie about these things. You guys have to go easy on me. My favourite words in the world are 'plug and play'. :D

OK. So here's my choices........(not a great deal between them in price)

G6136T-LDS White Falcon, Aged White Lacquer Finish/Dynasonic.
2 Dynasonic, Single Coil Pickups.
Gloss Nitrocellulose Lacquer Finish.

G6136T-LTV White Falcon, Aged White Lacquer Finish/ T V Jones.
1 TV Jones Classic Pickup, Bridge.
1 TV Jones Classic Pickup Neck.
Finished in Aged White Gloss Nitrocellulose .

G6136DS White Falcon . With Dynasonic Pickups.
2 Dynasonic Single-Coil Pickups.
White Gloss Urethane Finish.

G6136DC White Falcon Double Cutaway.
2 High Sensative Filter'Tron Pickups.
White Gloss Urethane Finish.

Or.....(a little bit cheaper by about £300)

G6118T-LTV Anniversary Lacquer/TV Jones
1 TV Jones Classic Pickup, Bridge.
1 TV Jones Classic Pickup, Neck.
Finished in Vintage 2-Tone Smoke Green Nitrocellulose Lacquer.

G6118-125 Anniversary, 125th Anniversary Model.
2 TV Jones PowerOTron Pickups.
Gloss Nitrocellulose Lacquer.

Or.......

G6196 Country Club
2 Dyna-Sonic Single-Coil Pickups
Finished in Cadillac Green Gloss Urethane

Re: the 6192 and the 6193, call me a philistine, but from an aesthetic point of view, I'm really not keen on the Gretsch models that have the Laminated Maple wood showing through the finish. That and the grain on a Ric are on a different planet if you ask me.
lennon211
Intermediate Member

Post by lennon211 »

+1 for the Dynasonics. They sound awesome, especially with a set of good flatwound strings. Tons of the vintage Gretsch sound. Filtertrons would be my second choice. Best of luck with the decision.

Return to “Going Gretsch Forum:”