The Gretsch 6120-1959

Gretsch Forum and For Sale Ads

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

jps
RRF Consultant

Re: The Gretsch 6120-1959

Post by jps »

Okay, but what I meant was, what is he most known for, when you picture him in your mind, what guitar is he playing?
JakeK
RRF Consultant

Post by JakeK »

This photo always comes to mind:

I've still got two weeks to decide what I want, said my dad. If I'm exempt from exams, I can choose what I REALLY want (believe me, my parents get annoyed with my guitar wants, too!) with the help of my dad, my mom and my two grandmas.
scotty

Post by scotty »

Ive got to say when i think of Pete (which mostly i dont ) i always think of Gibson....
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

whojamfan wrote:Ultimately, you are going to have to make up your own mind, and live with your decision. Luckily, you can't go wrong with either. If the Gretsch you are looking at is brand new, than get the Rick. As time goes on, the Rose Morris reissues will get harder to find, and the Gretsches will continue to be readily available. You can always have your family buy you the Gretsch for your next birthday or whatever, as long as you continue to make the grades right?

Again, both are fine guitars.
Ditto what Mike said, and since the Gretsch you looked at is a reissue, I'd say go for the Rose Morris first as well, and for the same reason Mike said.

I have the `55 era Gretsch 6120 Western with Dynasonics, and a few Ricks, of course. :lol: :D The Gretsch is super cool, and (just like a Rickenbacker) quite an iconic guitar, but I play my Ricks a lot more live-I use Gretsches as well live (obviously, as y'all have seen in the videos), but when I play Gretsch, I usually opt for my trusty Silver Jet; I've only used the 6120 at a gig once or twice (gold hardware is very delicate/fragile-it wears off quickly, and curiosly, the process Gretsch uses to apply it renders it susceptible to perspiration and the oil in one's fingertips, soif you play live, make sure you do a THOROUGH job of wiping the guitar down, unless you want all of the gold hardware to have that "relic" look).
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

Jake, get the one you bonded with the best - the one that will inspire you and let you bloom as a musician. Don't let the peanut gallery goad you. Obviously this purchase will be unique until you get a lot older and self-financed, so make it based on the above. :wink:
jch
Intermediate Member

Post by jch »

I just missed a 59 last month on the bay ,
it was the poly one ,but had been upgraded to TV Jones Classics

But a 1993 ,jeez ,other than that brown one on the other thread ,i haven't seen one for a while
There's plenty of 59 reissues out there Jake,but its your call.

I'd go for 6120 because i couldn't afford a 1993 at the moment, but a 1997 ,that's different!

Though it's not like i need a another Gretsch, but they're my weakness :)
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

jch wrote:Though it's not like i need a another Gretsch, but they're my weakness :)
:lol: I know the feeling; I have five of them and I'm jonesing for a Western Chet Atkins solidbody, a `55 era White Falcon with the Dynasonics and the Bigsby...and maybe a Jet Firebird with the same!!
just_bassics
Intermediate Member

Post by just_bassics »

jps wrote:I haven't played on of those but I do love my 1961 6117. :D
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

just_bassics wrote:
jps wrote:I haven't played on of those but I do love my 1961 6117. :D