WTT my Gretsch Sparkle jet for a Rickenbacker ***CLOSED***

Gretsch Forum and For Sale Ads

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Re: WTD: Gretsch Sparkle jet for Rickenbacker ***CLOSED***

Post by jingle_jangle »

Back to an important point. The DNA of this one is Korean, as Gretsch Professional models have the floating fretboard extension and entirely different string geometry as a result. And the value of Korean Gretsch-branded guitars is much lower than Japanese ones.

Paolo is correct--these Fender-transition (both immediately pre- and post-2003) models seem to have been all over the place, until Fender/Gretsch's guy (whose name escapes me, and it's not Joe Carducci, either, sorry!) made his first factory trip to Japan. Things got pushed back into shape really quickly after that (seems to have been within about 6 months, because after some initial teething and adjustment problems, the guitars rolling out of Terada began their unbroken run of amazing quality and value.

Here's a tour of that very old plant, dating from early 2005:

http://www.gretschguitars.com/terada/

The "guy" whose name I can't recall, is on the right in the very first photo here, wearing the Gretsch shirt.
gellkeller
Intermediate Member

Re: Want to trade my Gretsch Sparkle jet for a Rickenbacker

Post by gellkeller »

I always though the duojets were made in the Dyna Gakki factory and the hollow bodies came out of the Terada factory.

I think the exception is that the Penguin was produced at Terada or at least my Black Penguin was. The serial number makes it easy to identify the relevant factory for the Fender period Japanese Gretsches.

Well, it goes to show you...
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Ric O'Sound wrote:The tone pot is for single coils. But I don't claim to be a Gretsch authority, so I'll defer to those who know better.
In the old days Gretsch used the tone switch with singlecoil pickups, HiLo Trons in this case.
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

jps wrote:
Ric O'Sound wrote:The tone pot is for single coils. But I don't claim to be a Gretsch authority, so I'll defer to those who know better.
In the old days Gretsch used the tone switch with singlecoil pickups, HiLo Trons in this case.
On the Hilotron-equipped Tennessean as well. Here's my 1965 model, on which I've since restored the original tuners and bridge :D :
1965 Chet Atkins Tennessean.JPG
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

gellkeller wrote:I always though the duojets were made in the Dyna Gakki factory and the hollow bodies came out of the Terada factory.

I think the exception is that the Penguin was produced at Terada or at least my Black Penguin was. The serial number makes it easy to identify the relevant factory for the Fender period Japanese Gretsches.

Well, it goes to show you...
Thanks, Brett. I know you're correct on this, as I'd heard it and forgotten.

My point is still up for discussion and verification: this seems to be a Korean Gretsch due to the geometry (no floating board). It would be interesting if somebody could disprove this, as this would make my own Jet (virtually identical except black) worth more. But I don't think these are Japanese guitars, regardless of which Japanese factory makes which bodies.
gellkeller
Intermediate Member

Post by gellkeller »

Paul, I thought I was correct but the photo set from the Terada tour seems to disprove all the information I thought was factual. You can clearly see a Duojet 6128-1957 being built in the Terada factory. Not sure how it all works, maybe they are assembled there and finished in Dyna Gakki? Doesn't make a lot of sense though.

I did notice in one of the pictures some D'Aquistos waiting to be finished. It certainly looks like a busy factory.
Ric O'Sound

Post by Ric O'Sound »

jingle_jangle wrote: My point is still up for discussion and verification: this seems to be a Korean Gretsch due to the geometry (no floating board). It would be interesting if somebody could disprove this, as this would make my own Jet (virtually identical except black) worth more. But I don't think these are Japanese guitars, regardless of which Japanese factory makes which bodies.
gellkeller wrote:Paul, I thought I was correct but the photo set from the Terada tour seems to disprove all the information I thought was factual. You can clearly see a Duojet 6128-1957 being built in the Terada factory. Not sure how it all works, maybe they are assembled there and finished in Dyna Gakki? Doesn't make a lot of sense though.
FWIW, guys...my 6128TBEE Jet is Japanese and doesn't have a floating board. It's set much higher than the Chinese-built Pro Jets, and maybe a couple of millimeters lower than on my Silver Jet (with the floater). I also know it was definitely built at Terada. Both of my Jets are FMIC era, though. Maybe Fender reshuffled the production at some point. Guess there are no hard and fast rules anymore.
The Fonz says:
"Yo...only nerds don't play Rickenbackers. Aaaay!"
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

There were no hard and fast rules then, but things have stabilized well since 2004 or so.

The first name of the "guy" whose name I couldn't remember is Mike. I can't get the last, though.

I've posted it on http://www.gretsch-talk.com

Those guys know their stuff.
Ric O'Sound

Post by Ric O'Sound »

jingle_jangle wrote:There were no hard and fast rules then, but things have stabilized well since 2004 or so.
The first name of the "guy" whose name I couldn't remember is Mike. I can't get the last, though.
Oh, you're talkin' 'bout Mike Lewis, I think. He was Joe Carducci's predecessor at FMIC IIRC.
The Fonz says:
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Thomas, could you post the first eight digits of the serial number? Or send it to me in a PM? Or post it in the thread I started on Gretsch-talk.com?
freshmattyp

Post by freshmattyp »

I'm pretty sure that in the years before the Fender move, the guitars were all over the board in terms of mixing and matching features from different eras. Historical accuracy wasn't really of paramount importance back then.
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Ric O'Sound wrote:
jingle_jangle wrote:There were no hard and fast rules then, but things have stabilized well since 2004 or so.
Oh, you're talkin' 'bout Mike Lewis, I think. He was Joe Carducci's predecessor at FMIC IIRC.
That's him. Thanks, Dan. I never met Mr. Lewis, but Joe Carducci is a terrific guy who, as I understand, came up through the ranks at Fender and has always had a major passion for guitars. It shows in his unbeatable enthusiasm, too.
Ric O'Sound

Post by Ric O'Sound »

jingle_jangle wrote:That's him. Thanks, Dan. I never met Mr. Lewis, but Joe Carducci is a terrific guy who, as I understand, came up through the ranks at Fender and has always had a major passion for guitars. It shows in his unbeatable enthusiasm, too.
Yep, Joe's a great guy. I've only communicated with him via email, but he'll bend over backwards to take care of you. A class act in my book.
The Fonz says:
freshmattyp

Post by freshmattyp »

jingle_jangle wrote:I've posted it on http://www.gretsch-talk.com

Those guys know their stuff.
That site is run by Paul Green, who also runs the TDPRI. Big thumbs up for Paul, he runs several informative friendly guitar sites.

Return to “Going Gretsch Forum:”