What Is It About Gretsch Guitars That You Like?

Gretsch Forum and For Sale Ads

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

drumbob
RRF Consultant

What Is It About Gretsch Guitars That You Like?

Post by drumbob »

I have always felt a strong tie-in with Gretsh guitars and the '60's rock I grew up with and love more than any other music, much as I do with Rickenbackers. I like rockabilly and roots rock 'n roll and Americana a whole lot too, so it was just natural that I would gravitate toward Gretsch guitars-the reissues mostly-as I have found very few really good vintage ones over the years. I hate to say it, but a lot of older Gretsch guitars I have played have not held up well over time.

So, what draws you to Gretsch guitars?
jimk
RRF Consultant

Re: What Is It About Gretsch Guitars That You Like?

Post by jimk »

Different sound, and kind of the odd-man-out sort of thing; not your typical Fender/Gibson/Ibanez/etc. etc. They're just different. Can't quite explain it very well. It's just a feeling I get. I notice them like I notice Ricks.

JimK
1a12

Post by 1a12 »

I aquired a 6117 Cat eye custom model in black, they made 100 red and 100 black, half were sold at Manny's and the other half went west. I outfitted mine with a Gretsch Bigsby and a Chet wire arm & some Stairstep Grover Imperials to ritz it out. IMHO a bigsby is a must! :D
I think that I came to it all from George Harrison, via his momentum from Chet, Duane Eddy etc, (who knows if George dug Jimmy Webster?)...Each of the major models have a different sound. I like them all, I like all the different kinds of pickups for certain things, the TV Jones ones are meaty like the old PAF's.... I've tried old ones, new ones alnd they all have their place. Some are definitely better than others. I find there is very little consistency in quality referring to how old ones hold up. I have seen some with rotted binding, some with structural issues, some dead minty players....We all know that even some humans with good genes don't always hold up..environmentally complicated lives! The newer ones feel a little sterile, like there is too much laquer on them, but then I strum them and that goes away...the hollowbody models feel different than other manufacturers for sure.

Though I'm not a technical accomplished guitar player, I always felt that my particular guitar always told me, "Dont worry, just follow the muse and get it out through me".
Sometimes I feel very American playing it, most times I feel cosmopolitan with it.

Here is a list, and I have no idea about 30% of them, the other 70% I have some of their recorded/live efforts running through my dna. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Gretsch_players
My Gretsch certainly has a place next to my Ricks.
Thanks for this post drumbob! :mrgreen:
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

jimk wrote:Different sound, and kind of the odd-man-out sort of thing; not your typical Fender/Gibson/Ibanez/etc. etc. They're just different. Can't quite explain it very well. It's just a feeling I get. I notice them like I notice Ricks.

JimK
Yep.

Plus, they look super cool!
Danotron
Intermediate Member

Post by Danotron »

paologregorio wrote:
jimk wrote:Different sound, and kind of the odd-man-out sort of thing; not your typical Fender/Gibson/Ibanez/etc. etc. They're just different. Can't quite explain it very well. It's just a feeling I get. I notice them like I notice Ricks.

JimK
Yep.

Plus, they look super cool!
There's no denying that the looks are a big part of it. Gretsch got it right for Country and Rock and Roll. I think that is what attracts a lot of people at first. They are very visual guitars.

The sound is unique too. I have a cool Guild Duane Eddy guitar that I love but when I listen to his music, I hear a Gretsch. There are very few guitar companies that have such a unique sound that you can pick them out in songs, Gretsch is one of them (along with Rickenbacker, Gibson, and Fender, in my opinion).

I've had some good ones and some bad ones over the years. I'm a fan of the newer Japanese Gretsches. I think they are great guitars and probably better made than the old ones, but like any good vintage guitar, if you get the right one, it's magic.
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Post by kiramdear »

I love the way they look. On guys. I hate to say it but I've never seen a lady play one. In any case, or maybe because of that, they ooze masculinity to me.

Then of course there's the connection with all the great players and styles of music that I love.
All I wanna do is rock!
Danotron
Intermediate Member

Post by Danotron »

Ah yes, but don't forget the Gretsch Princess....
Gretsch Princess.jpg
Attachments
Gretsch Princess 2.jpg
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Post by kiramdear »

Oh, no way! That's adorable! OK, that I would feel comfortable with. :)
All I wanna do is rock!
antipodean

Post by antipodean »

A Gretsch has a panache that is unmatched. Even the Corvette has a "stand out from the crowd" look and feel. There is attention to detail that reflects the very best of the golden period of US design, and they play wonderfully and have a distinctive sound.... and those cool finishes like Caddy Green and Silver Sparkle.... What's not to love?

Of course, the less said about the "dark period" the better..... Thank goodness the relaunch using the Terada factory in Japan set things right...
"I don't want to sound incredulous but I can't believe it" Rex Mossop
gellkeller
Intermediate Member

Post by gellkeller »

For me it is one word - DynaSonics
bitzerguy
RRF Consultant

Post by bitzerguy »

Chet Atkins, George Harrison, Brian Setzer, unique easily identifiable tone, in that order.
...Dean
Never, ever drool on your surf shirt. It wrecks the solo.

660/12FG, 350V63/6FG, 620/6JG, 360WB/6DBG, Dingwall C1 #001, Prestige Heritage Elite FM
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

kiramdear wrote:I love the way they look. On guys. I hate to say it but I've never seen a lady play one. In any case, or maybe because of that, they ooze masculinity to me.

Then of course there's the connection with all the great players and styles of music that I love.
KT Tunstall plays/played a huge new White Falcon...Amy Surdu (GoreGoreGirls), Lynda Kaye and Elaine Frizzell, to name a few others. But definitely a rare thing compared to guys.
JakeK
RRF Consultant

Post by JakeK »

What I like the most about Gretsches is their cool looks, awesome playability and the outstanding amount of versatility they have. Gretsch is one of my top favorite guitar makers.
jch
Intermediate Member

Post by jch »

I love the tone, Dyna's , Filter's or Hi-Lo's,of course they look fantastic too! 8)
And I just like the feel of a big ol hollow body .

I have 3 vintage and 5 new ,i like them all,the Japanese guitars are great imo.

My dad brought me up on Chet, Duane and Eddie Cochran,and The Beatles amoung others, so it was a natural move for me to want the guitars of my hero's!
Brian Setzer also made a big impression on me.

Bought my first one when i was 17 ,a 1965 6120 ,been playing them for 22 years now.
Just recently bought a 2008 62RI Gent,still need a 62 Tenny and 57 Duo Jet to complete my Beatle dreams though!
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

antipodean wrote:A Gretsch has a panache that is unmatched. Even the Corvette has a "stand out from the crowd" look and feel. There is attention to detail that reflects the very best of the golden period of US design, and they play wonderfully and have a distinctive sound.... and those cool finishes like Caddy Green and Silver Sparkle.... What's not to love?

Of course, the less said about the "dark period" the better..... Thank goodness the relaunch using the Terada factory in Japan set things right...
+1!!!

and

I like the Bigsbys....

Return to “Going Gretsch Forum:”