What Is It About Gretsch Guitars That You Like?

Gretsch Forum and For Sale Ads

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

shamustwin

Re: What Is It About Gretsch Guitars That You Like?

Post by shamustwin »

I played a '60's Tenneseean for a while, and it just sounded great at any level. Easy to play, just a dream guitar.
Zurdo

Post by Zurdo »

I'm not demeaning Japanese guitars (or Asian-made guitars in general either). I own three Kent guitars made in the mid to late 1960's which stay and play in tune better than my Gibson up to the last fret. Yes, go ahead and laugh :D

But the made-in-Japan Gretsch guitars are reproductions by any definition of the word, just like Rickenbacker is reproducing John Lennon's 325 and George Harrison's 360-12, or Carl Wilson's and Roger McGuinn's 360-12, or Gibson reproducing their famous SG and LP guitar models, or Danelectro for that matter, or Burns. A Repro is a Repro is a Repro.

they are reproductions because they are modern "copies" of guitars that were first produced in the 1950's and 1960's.

I wished that Ford would make modern reproductions of the 1934 Ford, complete with a/c and F.I. In China if neccessary, who knows, they'd probably make a better Ford.
Rickenbacker 370-12 1966, Hofner 500/1 1966, Gibson ES-150 DCW 1970,
Vox Viscount 1967, Vox Series 90 1969. Yamaha PSR-9000 Midi Sequencer Arranger 2000
drumbob
RRF Consultant

Post by drumbob »

Zurdo wrote:I'm not demeaning Japanese guitars (or Asian-made guitars in general either). I own three Kent guitars made in the mid to late 1960's which stay and play in tune better than my Gibson up to the last fret. Yes, go ahead and laugh :D

But the made-in-Japan Gretsch guitars are reproductions by any definition of the word, just like Rickenbacker is reproducing John Lennon's 325 and George Harrison's 360-12, or Carl Wilson's and Roger McGuinn's 360-12, or Gibson reproducing their famous SG and LP guitar models, or Danelectro for that matter, or Burns. A Repro is a Repro is a Repro.

they are reproductions because they are modern "copies" of guitars that were first produced in the 1950's and 1960's.

I wished that Ford would make modern reproductions of the 1934 Ford, complete with a/c and F.I. In China if neccessary, who knows, they'd probably make a better Ford.

But, the issue is, do you think the original Gretsches were better guitars? I think not. Most old Gretsches I have seen and played had issues; rotten binding, collapsed necks that needed resets, funky wiring, inability to stay in tune due to a host of factors. Yes, today's guitars are replicas of the old ones, but so what? They say Gretsch on the headstocks, are sold by Gretsch and look and sound like Gretsches. They're Gretsches!

I agree that auto manufacturers should bring back the retro styles like Ford did with the Mustang. I have always wished for a bullet-nosed Studebaker Starlight couple. Now, that would be cool!
lennon211
Intermediate Member

Post by lennon211 »

Personally, I'll take what I can get. If it's reissues, then so be it. I'd rather have something that's the new version of the real thing than play something that claims to be something it isn't.

Also in total agreement on the retro/classic style cars. I have an '05 Mustang GT convertible and it's pretty sweet.
Sarcasm just doesn't come through when you're typing...
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

Speaking from experience, the new ones are made better.
Zurdo

Post by Zurdo »

drumbob wrote: But, the issue is, do you think the original Gretsches were better guitars? I think not. Most old Gretsches I have seen and played had issues; rotten binding, collapsed necks that needed resets, funky wiring, inability to stay in tune due to a host of factors. Yes, today's guitars are replicas of the old ones, but so what? They say Gretsch on the headstocks, are sold by Gretsch and look and sound like Gretsches. They're Gretsches!
I agree that auto manufacturers should bring back the retro styles like Ford did with the Mustang. I have always wished for a bullet-nosed Studebaker Starlight couple. Now, that would be cool!
hi Bob,
for a long time I thought my Gretsch was the only one suffering from the binding problem, so to answer your question, yes I think they were better guitars but only to the extent that they were the originals. I have been content with the guitars I have now so I have not played the replicas, only seen them. One thing does bother me, and that's the lack of the Zero Fret in most of the models I would consider buying, but then that's just me. if I find a large Gretsch box, whether old or replica, with a zero fret, I'll retire my Gibson ES-150.
Zurdo
Vox Viscount 1967, Vox Series 90 1969. Yamaha PSR-9000 Midi Sequencer Arranger 2000
lennon211
Intermediate Member

Post by lennon211 »

To find the ones with zero fret, they are the ones that are reissues, with a specific year attached. The '62 Country Gentleman has one, while the current modern-day version does not. A '59 Chet Atkins or a '62 Chet Atkins will while the modern-day version will not. Same with the Duo-Jets.

They have modern, non-reissues as well as the reissues/reproductions.

I don't mean to harp on this, but there are modern and vintage options depending on what a player wants.
Zurdo

Post by Zurdo »

yes, I recently saw a modern, double cutaway Jet without the zero fret. But I remember someone in the 1970's who had the same dc Jet but with a zero fret, the guitar was a delight to play. I have managed to confuse myself completely when it comes to Gretsch replicas/reproductions/copies, ad infinitum ad nauseum. :mrgreen:
wittyair

Post by wittyair »

I just picked this bad boy up over the weekend........sounds as good as it looks!!!!
Attachments
100_2901.jpg
Zurdo

Post by Zurdo »

wittyair wrote:I just picked this bad boy up over the weekend........sounds as good as it looks!!!!
wow, fabulous, reminds me of the Monkees 12-string's Natural finish. Congrats. No zero fret?? :mrgreen:

Zurdo
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Very nice, Craig. You have to love the flame.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
jch
Intermediate Member

Post by jch »

Ah,the prom queen,very nice Craig! 8)
lennon211
Intermediate Member

Post by lennon211 »

wittyair wrote:I just picked this bad boy up over the weekend........sounds as good as it looks!!!!
Is this the same one that's one the 'Bay now? It's very nice looking. Best of luck with the sale if it is.
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

Ta-WANG! Congrats!

. . . . and they look cool too. :D
stringman

Post by stringman »

Back in 1992 just before fender bought gretsch I saw this model and was impressed. Tried out the guitar at a local music store and it sounded good not great. But it had the appointments that I liked. The block inlays wihout the western motifs. Black finish copy of a 1955 gretsch. What I already had in mind to do to it was to use 2 supertrons from tv jones and make up a custom harness for it adding another tone switch to the 1955 setup. I added the jeweled arrow knobs, it already came with a cool roller abr bridge that works great with the bigsby. After installing all the components this gretsch turned into a tone machine. I can't even describe how good it sounds. But if any of you gretsch guys that have replaced pickups with TV JONES you know what im talking about. Here are some pictures.
Attachments
back of gretsch withiout pad.JPG
gretsch 6120 supertrons tv jones.JPG
gretsch 6120 full view.JPG
gretsch 6120 tv jones electronics.JPG

Return to “Going Gretsch Forum:”