Thinking About Taking The Plunge

Gretsch Forum and For Sale Ads

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

kenposurf
RRF Consultant

Thinking About Taking The Plunge

Post by kenposurf »

I'm considering buying an Electromatic hollowbody w/Bigbsy and Dynasonics..any model suggestions?
I've owned some of the Japan models (an Annie and a Duo-Jet) in the past but didn't play them often enough to justify keeping..looking for a more budget model this time I hear the Korean ones are nice as well..Thanks!
jimk
RRF Consultant

Re: Thinking About Taking The Plunge

Post by jimk »

Paul W. (Jingle_jangle) once recommended this one to me. And they come in several different colors, too.

G5126

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=339657&p=409487&hilit=jimk+gretsch#p409487

JimK
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Yep. That bunch have the DeArmond 2000s. I had one and it sounded super and played as nicely as any of my Pro series Gretsches.

Stay away from the 5120 series; they all have the harsh "dumbucker" pickups.

You may want to look at this one, too:

http://gretschguitars.com/gear/index.ph ... ct=G5191BK
drumbob
RRF Consultant

Post by drumbob »

I would have second thoughts about buying a guitar enodorsed by a guy with a tattooed head.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Bob: I had a chance to play this model at a local music store recently. The 17 inch body felt surprising larger after being used to the 5120 size. The black filtertrons did look nicer than the Gretschbuckers.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

drumbob wrote:I would have second thoughts about buying a guitar enodorsed by a guy with a tattooed head.
Yeah, I suppose the tattoo inhibits his musical abilities... :lol:

LOTS of Gretsch artists currently sport tattoos (including the women)--it goes with the territory and the over-the-top rockabilly vibe.
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

jingle_jangle wrote:
You may want to look at this one, too:

http://gretschguitars.com/gear/index.ph ... ct=G5191BK
Is a Bigsby an option? It doesn't say either way.
JimK
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Jim: I do not believe that there are any options with this instrument. Having said that, there are plenty of aftermarket Gretsch parts and installing a Bigsby would certainly be relatively easy if you wanted one. Please let us know when yours arrives.

Bob: Let me please go on record here saying that I am willing to be first in line for lessons from Brian Setzer the next time he is in town. :lol:
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

jimk wrote:Paul W. (Jingle_jangle) once recommended this one to me. And they come in several different colors, too.

G5126

JimK
The 5126 looks perfect to me; I think it has much better lines than the Tim Armstrong model, which has a yucky tailpiece, and all the worst features of a Gibson(which look fine on a Gibson, but not on a Gretsch) and the earliest `89-ish Gretsch RI models. The 5126 also has my favorite control layout and pickup combination, and the "required" (IMO) Bigsby. The neoclassical "thumbnail" inlays are a plus as well; aside from the Eletcromatic models, those inlays usually only come , AND with the Filtertron-equipped Gretsches with the later type, dual switch control layout. I've never been able to get the sound I wanted out of Filtertrons, new or old, though I hear the TV Jones Filtertrons really kick, and Brian Setzer, one of my fave Gretsch players, always has a killer sound.

If you want a "solid" body Gretsch, go for the Pro Jet and switch out the pickups. :)
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

paologregorio wrote:
jimk wrote:Paul W. (Jingle_jangle) once recommended this one to me. And they come in several different colors, too.

G5126

JimK
The 5126 looks perfect to me; I think it has much better lines than the Tim Armstrong model, which has a yucky tailpiece, and all the worst features of a Gibson(which look fine on a Gibson, but not on a Gretsch) and the earliest `89-ish Gretsch RI models. The 5126 also has my favorite control layout and pickup combination, and the "required" (IMO) Bigsby. The neoclassical "thumbnail" inlays are a plus as well; aside from the Eletcromatic models, those inlays usually only come , AND with the Filtertron-equipped Gretsches with the later type, dual switch control layout. I've never been able to get the sound I wanted out of Filtertrons, new or old, though I hear the TV Jones Filtertrons really kick, and Brian Setzer, one of my fave Gretsch players, always has a killer sound.

If you want a "solid" body Gretsch, go for the Pro Jet and switch out the pickups. :)
Ah, Pauly, you're just prejudiced in favor of bright colors!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think the Armstrong is one bitchin' TattooDaddy Rat Rod, and the color is much of its appeal. That gold tailpiece is an acquired taste, but against all of that matte black primer, chrome or nickel hardware would look wrong IMO.

There are two new Gretsches, well, three...wait a minnit..four...that really get me going these days...the Armstrong is merely the latest.

Gotta go get my head examined decalled...
kenposurf
RRF Consultant

Post by kenposurf »

Thanks folks..and thanks to Paul W for some last second advice..pulled the trigger on this one...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0606484293

Return to “Going Gretsch Forum:”