Pinning the Bridge

Gretsch Forum and For Sale Ads

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

admin
Site Admin

Pinning the Bridge

Post by admin »

I would be intererested in knowing if pinning the bridge changes the tone on Gretsch instruments. While there is the obvious benefit of having the bridge secured to change the strings more easily and to make intonating easier I am wondering if securing it to two posts changes the distribution of the vibration to the top and resulting tone.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
lennon211
Intermediate Member

Re: Pinning the Bridge

Post by lennon211 »

I don't know what others opinion will be, but Gretsch does this with a lot of the higher-end models, such as the TV Jones Power Jets, the latest Anniversary (Jaguar Tan model), and others. The flipside to this is that the bridges are the "Adjusto-Matic" bridges that don't rely on being able to move in order to intonate. I would guess that this mod is more desirable on guitars equipped with the Adjusto since the entire intonation can be off if it does shift even a little with those adjustable saddles. I don't think that it would affect tone much at all.
Sarcasm just doesn't come through when you're typing...
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The flipside to this is that the bridges are the "Adjusto-Matic" bridges that don't rely on being able to move in order to intonate.
Matt: Great food for thought. The Adjustomatic bridges certainly make intonation easier. At the smae time, I cannot help but think that the tone must be somewhat different from the single saddle bridges/bar bridges as each string on the Adjustomatic is supported by a separate saddle with the transmitted vibrations also likely somewhat different. Can one hear the difference. I wonder.

So little time, so much to know.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
scott_s
Veteran RRF member

Post by scott_s »

Some players stick fine-grit sandpaper to the bottom of the bridge so that it will "grab" the top without scratching (as long as you lift it up when moving it). Changing strings one-at-a-time would help, too.

- Scott
collin

Post by collin »

Pinning the bridge is permanent and non-reversible, right?

I love the tone etc of my '64 6120 but I don't like the floating bridge moving on me. Wouldn't want to do any permanent mods though.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Yes, permanent and non-reversible unless filling the holes in the top of your vintage Gretsch is considered reversable. :shock:

Return to “Going Gretsch Forum:”