Gretsch 6128 Duojet Double Cutaway

Gretsch Forum and For Sale Ads

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

lennon211
Intermediate Member

Re: Gretsch 6128 Duojet Double Cutaway

Post by lennon211 »

Zurdo wrote:yes Peter, I see your point, but for people like me who don't work in a guitar store, or who don't work for Gretsch, confusion is the word :?
I don't work in a guitar store or for Gretsch.

Like Fender and Gibson, Gretsch has had an evolution of features. They offer them in different measures on different models. The guitar in the picture (without the zero-fret) has "Electromatic" on the headstock. That denotes a budget-level guitar that is entry-level and will have less features.

Like Fender and Gibson, Gretsch has evolved to the point of offering standard models with modern conveniences as well as reissues or reproductions, what ever word you wish to use.

Like Fender or Gibson, Gretsch will not offer all vintage spec features on guitars where it's inappropriate. If you want it in Rickenbacker terms, it would be like having two Ric 360's side by side, a reissue to vintage specs and a modern one. While it would be inappropriate for the vintage reissue to have a 24-fret neck, the new one will. Same with the reissue having hi-gain pickups...it wouldn't be appropriate for the model.

Gretsch does something similar, and while their model numbers are somewhat confusing, some reading about the models made will help. They have a modern Duo-Jet, similar to an American Standard Strat or a Gibson Les Paul Standard. It's a basic model that satisfies modern requirements. They have a reissue 1962 Duo Jet with double cutaway body, '60's era switching and a zero-fret. Then there is a 1957 and 56 reissue with their appropriate features. It's like Fender had an American Standard with a 22-fret neck. Then there is a '62 Strat with Rosewood 21-fret board. Then there is a '57 reissue with maple board.

I don't know how else to explain that there are models with and without. Not every '50's or '60's era Gretsch had them and that's shown in the new reissues.
Sarcasm just doesn't come through when you're typing...
Zurdo

Post by Zurdo »

you explained it very well. Now I know there are two DuoJet models, the Electromatic and the Professional. Such info. is not readily forthcoming anywhere I've checked. Now I know why one is so expensive and the other one so cheap. Definitely the one to have is the Professional model/reissue, regardless of price.
Rickenbacker 370-12 1966, Hofner 500/1 1966, Gibson ES-150 DCW 1970,
Vox Viscount 1967, Vox Series 90 1969. Yamaha PSR-9000 Midi Sequencer Arranger 2000
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Matt: Thanks for your detailed explanations regarding the features of Gretsch guitars. It takes a long time to digest all the changes over the years and you have helped us put them in perspective. I am of the same mind as Jos, you have addressed the matter well.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
electrofaro

Post by electrofaro »

lennon211 wrote:I don't work in a guitar store or for Gretsch.
You could do both, you've passed - thanks for clarifying this confusing topic :D
'67 Fender Coronado II CAB * '17 1963 ES-335 PB * currently rickless
Zurdo

Post by Zurdo »

and I thought I was the only one confused by Gretsch's marketing!!
Rickenbacker 370-12 1966, Hofner 500/1 1966, Gibson ES-150 DCW 1970,
Vox Viscount 1967, Vox Series 90 1969. Yamaha PSR-9000 Midi Sequencer Arranger 2000

Return to “Going Gretsch Forum:”