Gretsch "Teardrop City" 3/4 bass?

Gretsch Forum and For Sale Ads

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

octagon

Gretsch "Teardrop City" 3/4 bass?

Post by octagon »

Did Gretsch ever make a production version of the 3/4 size bass Davy Jones played on "The Glen Cable Show"?

kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Re: Gretsch "Teardrop City" 3/4 bass?

Post by kiramdear »

Where's Peter?
All I wanna do is rock!
octagon

Post by octagon »

kiramdear wrote:Where's Peter?
He left after they completed the filming of "33⅓ Revolutions Per Monkee"

jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

That's Brian Auger & Julie Driscoll. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
lennon211
Intermediate Member

Post by lennon211 »

It certainly appears to be a double-cut Jet body bass. It looks like it's in a Gretsch Firebird red.
Sarcasm just doesn't come through when you're typing...
Zurdo

Post by Zurdo »

that was a hard live performance, I still like The Monkees.
Rickenbacker 370-12 1966, Hofner 500/1 1966, Gibson ES-150 DCW 1970,
Vox Viscount 1967, Vox Series 90 1969. Yamaha PSR-9000 Midi Sequencer Arranger 2000
lennon211
Intermediate Member

Post by lennon211 »

Not too much live except for Davy's thrashing with the bass; it looks like he's got an oversized Gretsch maraca. I'm pretty sure that it's mimed. Micky's voice sounds double-tracked and he slips in his mime early on in his first close up. It also just flat-out sounds like the studio recording.

The Monkees are still one of my favorites as well. Even though they were assembled as a band for television, they put out some great music. I remember going after my History of Rock Music professor in college about the Monkees when he said that everything was a sham. He'd never heard of Headquarters or Pisces, Aquarius, Capricorn and Jones, Ltd.
Sarcasm just doesn't come through when you're typing...
Zurdo

Post by Zurdo »

you might be correct, the guitar sounds fabulous but way too "perfect" for a live sound. BUT, if they themselves played their own instruments in the recording, then they had become pretty good by 1969. Curiously, I can hear the bass notes clearly.
May have started as a "sham", but it didn't end like one, The Monkees gained the respect of many, creating an identifiable "sound" in their songs.
Rickenbacker 370-12 1966, Hofner 500/1 1966, Gibson ES-150 DCW 1970,
Vox Viscount 1967, Vox Series 90 1969. Yamaha PSR-9000 Midi Sequencer Arranger 2000
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

The next time I see Brian I will have to ask him about this. :lol:

Maybe tell him to paint his B3 like that again. :mrgreen:
weemac
Veteran RRF member

Post by weemac »

Zurdo wrote:May have started as a "sham", but it didn't end like one, The Monkees gained the respect of many, creating an identifiable "sound" in their songs.
I believe that they fought hard to play on their own albums, they were good enough from the start but of course they were under control of the record company...

Eden.
Peacefrog35

Post by Peacefrog35 »

Love this clip..definitely studio though. Remember, most of them were musicians already...including Dolenz who played guitar previouslyl,but learned drums for the Monkees. By 1967, they were playing their own music on tour as well as albums although Headquarters was the only album they put out where they were all playing with little studio session players.
Peter and Mike were serious musicians...way before the Monkees and got into for that purpose alone...acting was secondary to them.
I caught a show in 89...they were all very good...Micky on drums, davy on tambourine, peter on piano and bass..... Mike...not interested. They really did put out some good music though. Pisces Aquarius.... is still one of my favs.
"Everyone's entitled to two aren't they....this is my other one!"
0018g

Post by 0018g »

Amen, Peacefrog. I saw them on the 20th anniversary tour in '86, and they put on a great show. Would've been better with Nez, but....
fabandgear

Post by fabandgear »

kiramdear wrote:Where's Peter?
(Looking toward the camera in mock concern, breaking the Forth Wall...) "He's GONE!!!"
"When I kill, its on direct orders from Her Majesty's government." -007

Return to “Going Gretsch Forum:”