Best playing most versatile Gretsch

Gretsch Forum and For Sale Ads

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

MyBBruce

Best playing most versatile Gretsch

Post by MyBBruce »

I know nothing about these guitars. I just played a real low end one last night. Sort of looked like a Duo Jet. I was amazed what a great player it was. I plan on between 2-3 K for something. I play Chuck Berry Beatles the who Areosmith Plus more modern stuff. What Gretsch should I be looking at. Also how important is Nitro finish. I notice most Gretsch's aren't finished in Nitro.

I like the looks feel and weight of a duo jet but open to a hollowbody as well. Would like to stay in the 7-71/2 lb range. Maybe someone will reply thanks
Rickenbacker 350V63 325C64 Jetglo Ric 620 FG Fender Masterbuilt Tele, LaCabronita , Crook Pink Paisley Relic, Lentz DB HSL, Martin 000-18

Dr Z Zwreck Dr Z Maz 18 NR Vox AC15 HW
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Re: Best playing most versatile Gretsch

Post by sloop_john_b »

IMO, a Duo Jet with Filtertrons and a pinned/fixed bridge will be the most versatile/practical.
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

You were probably playing one of the Korean made "lower end" Jets, which are still well-made.

All Jet models are chambered, and if you buy one that was made within the last five years, they are extremely chambered and light, well within your weight range. :)

I'd suggest one of the single cutaway Jets, and then just decide whether you want humbuckers (Filtertrons) or single coils (Dynasonics).
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Nitrocellulose isn't that important, but it sure can goose the price up. Don't bother with it.
Zurdo

Post by Zurdo »

in my humble opinion, the best playing Gretsches would be any Gretsch with a Zero-Fret, regardless of size, body-style, or finish.
Rickenbacker 370-12 1966, Hofner 500/1 1966, Gibson ES-150 DCW 1970,
Vox Viscount 1967, Vox Series 90 1969. Yamaha PSR-9000 Midi Sequencer Arranger 2000
lennon211
Intermediate Member

Post by lennon211 »

Based on the spectrum of music that you're playing, I'd echo the recommendations for the Jet series. You may want to look into one of the Power Jets, whether the Duo or Firebird variety depends on your tastes. They come with TV Jones pickups, pinned bridges, Bigsby, locking tuners, etc. They're in the price range too. Best of luck and happy hunting.
Sarcasm just doesn't come through when you're typing...
bvstudios

Post by bvstudios »

For me, the best playing and most versatile Gretsch has always been my 1970 6122 Chet, which I bought in '74 for the princely sum of $600 (a LOT to me at the time). In the 36 years since, I've successfully played Country (and western), Elvis in concert (tribute band), Disco (it paid the rent), Rockabilly, surf music and some slightly overdriven R&B a la Colin James and the Little Big Band... Oh yeah, I recently also did a shot at some Setzer in front of a local swing band with it.. once.

My Gent is late-model enough to be thinner than the early ones, and the neck is simply to die for. Aside from the weight (tho' it's still lighter than a Les Paul), it'll do just about anything. Set up right, it'll play old fashioned Atkins classics, then hit a pedal, flip a switch & rock out to the Stray Cats. Halfway between and I am playing Walk, Don't Run and Santo and Johnny in an instrumental set (I know, they used something else).. Versatility, flexible sound, and no issues grabbing a totally different neck several times a night unless absoultely necessary.

However, I still take three or four axes out at a time, depending on the gig. A strat for the tight, Clapton/Knopfler-esque sound, the Chet for almost anything else, an electro-accoustic Takamine 12 if needed, and of course, my fave, my Ric 370/12, although it's still something of a handful as I have only had it a short time.... The Gent is my oldest longest-held axe, and so far as I am concerned, if I can only bring just one electric guitar, she's the one.
deaconblues
RRF Consultant

Post by deaconblues »

I think the hollowbodies are just as versatile as the Jets, as long as you aren't playing at really high gain settings. My uncle has a '60 6122 and it sounds just as heavenly playing jazzy and clean as it does rocking out on "Sunshine of Your Love."

You can hear the difference in tone between a hollowbody and a solidbody (or chambered solidbody) - it's subtle, but there. They're both good, but I've just always preferred the hollow tone.

Play both and see what works for you.
Rubsoul

Post by Rubsoul »

I have a recent Re-issue Tennesse Rose 1962HT. Just think George at Shea Statium! 8)
Is very versatile instrument. Love the tone.
John
brunfox

Post by brunfox »

with the bigger Gretsch range, that choice is either harder (or easier) these days. Some good & diverse suggestions. Good luck with your eventual choice, and thanks for letting us know when you get it!
rkhiii

Post by rkhiii »

I have a reissue Tennessee Rose with HiLo Trons and I love it. The pickups are pretty low output...I enjoy their clean sound and an overdriven amp can really bring em to life in a good alt-country kinda way. I had a Duo Jet that I sold. I couldn't get it setup to my liking and probably gave up too soon on it. I really liked it...in fact I'm looking for one again. I've heard that the lower end Electromatic Series are actually pretty nice on the semi-hollows but don't stack up on the Duo Jet's. If you know otherwise, save me $1000...I'm open to suggestions since I miss my DJ.
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

Another teacher at the Americana Music Academy, where I teach, and I were talking guitars, as we often do. I told him of an orange Gretsch electromatic over at Mass[achusetts]. St. Music. He thought they were excellent guitars. If I weren't saving up my money for vacation plans, I'd have walked over that minute and bought that guitar outright.
JimK
rkhiii

Post by rkhiii »

Jet got back A/B'ing a gold top Synchromatic Chinese Duo Jet against a Japanese Power Jet w/ TV Jones. The Electroomatic was a solid little guitar and really there wasn't a huge difference in build quality. The Bigsbsy on the Electro was solid and strayed in tune. The biggest difference in the two were the pickups. Unfortunately the dealer didn't have a Duo Jet with FilterTrons of DynaSonics in stock...that would have been a better comparison. I'd say output level was on par with The HiLo Trons in my Tennessee Rose. the TV Jones pickups in the Power Jet sounded beautiful...articulate and chorusy. I didn't walk outta there with one but it certainly was a decent build for the money.
drumbob
RRF Consultant

Post by drumbob »

Like Matt said-a Power Jet with TV Jones pickups will do just fine for the music you play, which is similar to my gig.

Return to “Going Gretsch Forum:”